Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 339

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 571018 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #3435 on: January 10, 2017, 10:46:10 pm »

Why the question marks and exclamation points?
Post-dream incredulity.  (e.g. I have no connection with Afghanistan at all. I don't even think I saw a news item about the place, the day before, so how it even got dredged up as memetic building material...  That sort of oddness, really.)

Meamwhile, I had an early night, last night, and thus woke up half an hour ago (1:30am, local time) with a mass of different dreams.  Including a final reviewing section where I imagined revealing the prior dreams to y'all (in which I still made sense of some things that even now are faded into vagueness).

I was playing an 8-bit+like top-down naval battle computer game (advanced, modern, style game physics and rendering, but a limited and blocky pallette to do it in, think GTA 1 but lower-res, lower colour-depth and based at sea - equally frantic), which morphed into a 16-bit FPS'n'Sneak game with remarkable gameplay depth, also beyond the level of even Return To Castle Wolfenstein in ultimate detail (whilst still pallette limited).  In the latter game, the first encounter with a 'zombie' offersban opportunity. It is not actually dangerous and if you do not shoot it (perhaps because you've played this before, which obviously I had) it holds a document that it will show you to help you take another path.

This other path (literally, as you can dodge down a side path away from the obvious game-progression zone - no glass walls or moving walls in this post-Doom non-blocky environment, but it just does not make itself easily seen) makes use of the Sneaking, taking one past some warehouses where the ultimate (living) enemy soldiers are doing their...  thing. Whatever it is that the enemy soldiers are doing.  You can hide behond hedges, or even a slightly overgrown chain-link fence, a bit, but it seems my machine gun is currently at too low power to actually make the explosives guy 'explode', as he should, when strafed from such cover. I think the idea is that there's upgrades possible on the 'long' path to here. The sneaky path is a few levels of difficulty up.  Still, by hiding behind the fence (??) I let the explosives guy and his rifleman partner forget about me and instead deal with (by sneaking) the activity in the darkened warehouses.  (BTW, the name of this latter game is something my 'review dream' was pretty sure it had tied down.  Something like "Greenbrook 32" or, perhaps, more like "Valdbrucke 32". But it was supposed to be English reminiscent (if not accurately) of a Germanic placename, the number as in "Stalagluft ##".  It stopped working so well after truly waking, though, indcating possibly it was at that time stilo kore an Aristotelian essence of "a German-sounding English name", with the apparent "green brook" (not power/bridge!) qualities that would take a little research to try to assemble into a real-life example that properly satisfies my intended impression.  But that's very much a doubly-meta thing that you didn't come here to read about, I'm sure.)

Phase change from video games to TV programs. Two of them, intertwined. (Possibly I was downloading them onto computers in a hotel room, amd watching them each as I got time, but very little now exists of the hotel-room vision, so I'll skip that, and the problems with power sockets.)

First(ish), either a hard-drama with some comedy, or a dark-comedy with some deep politics.  Immediately post-war, in Europe (western...  France?) an ex-Axis scientist (played by Julian Rhind-Tutt, I'm very sure!) is trying to create a new identity for himself and his wife under Soviet occupation.  Part of this is represented by the continual buzzing of planes, specifically the advanced "Sukhoi 27" (in my case a delta-wing jet with canard (subtler than the Saab Viggen, though) and painted mostly white apart from the red stars - I've just checked, and the real Su-27 isn't a canard jet, as I suspected it wouldn't be) "Air superiority fighter" (yet apparently a specific threat to the ground, indcating my subconscious is playing fast and loose with the semantics of words, as well).

Part of the plan involved painting the entire damwall of a reservoir grey to obscure some incriminating graffiti (there was enough paint to cover all but a very small patch (20-30cm radius patch!) at the base, just behind some vegetation (more obscuring vegetation!), which probably didn't matter.  (It never did, but the threat of a splotch of red paint was always in the background.)  Also furnishing a new house, carefully adjusting an antique table to represent the right historic French monarch, somehow, for some reason.  Oh, and the house is half filled (waist deep) with water.  CGI water. (Rippling 'reflective' surface but no ripples from the actors 'wading' through it - Graphics fail in post-production!)  As are the pathways to it.  No idea why. Maybe war damage.

Second(ish) was a special episode of Dad's Army.  It featured Pvt. Walker, so an early-series filming (but in colour and had the visual appearance/grain of technicolour film stock, so maybe an 'unknown sequel' to the 1971 film?).  He managed to accidentally give a bucket full of black-market crockery (...) to the wrong person, possibly a spy, instead of the platoon-member who was supposed to get it.  Much fun and hilarity as several not easily describable events culminate in Walker listening through the wall of a hospital ward with a stethoscope (to the chagrine of Shirley, to whom he is not paying attention, and whoever it is who is in the hospital bed that they are 'visiting') to get the evidence that results in the spies running off down the street.  You had to be there.

After that, there was a bit about getting my parents onto a bus home, but the wrong bus came to the bus-station' gate', without us noticing until much later.  A rough (but impossible, in context) analogue of a real-life error one could make regarding bus-routes (a "219" instead of a "22something", except this 219's destination was not the same final destination (but taking the wrong side of the valley for our purposes) as the 22x, which would have allowed us to get a 22x back to where we needed, but it was stopping part way through the route, at exactly the wrong place. Except that this place (named) was not the qrong side of the valley, but really way over the other side of the hill on the right side of the valley. If it had been going there, after (as the advanced on-bus electronic map was showing!) being on the wrong side, it would have passed our originally intended destination.   Believe me, this was a big plot point to this dream segment!   But greatly summarised to avoid boring the bed-socks off of you.

Anyway, all rounded off by the 'summary session' half-dream, as mentioned.  Semi-lucid review of the dreams, thinking about how I got the details together, and what they meant (or failed to mean!).  "Greenbrook" still meant something and yet it was here that the bus destination (never reached!) was more fully geographically/cartographically analysed.  Not that it all survived intact to full and unexpected consciousness, and an hour's worth (it seems) of reckless message re-editing.  No wonder I've not been telling you every dream I've had, if it actually takes this much effort...  Shutting up, now.  For now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: January 11, 2017, 02:48:36 pm »

The one dream I remember from my sleep just now was some sort of graphical, DF-inspired game/film that followed goblin politicians on the campaign trail. I think. Maybe they were just rival warlords or something, but I'm pretty sure they were actually politicking.

Yes, there was lots of murder.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: January 11, 2017, 05:28:46 pm »

Dreamed I was a member of an SCP-esque organization, and tasked along with two other people with living in a particular building so that the pair of ghosts (who besides being slightly transparent looked just like normal people in an older style of clothing) living there were unable to move on to a different one. The building itself was a former boardinghouse out in the country, with a good sized garden and even a pond, all enclosed by a stone fence with iron bars. As long as at least one of us three was within those walls, they couldn't go off anywhere else. One, who we called C, was a kind of dopey looking guy in his mid forties who used to own the building. He was amiable enough, smarter than he looked, and seemed happy to have people to talk to. The other, A, was a youngish woman with dark red hair who was married to C. She didn't really want us there but was usually pleasant, but we didn't know if it was because she couldn't actually do anything about us or because she liked C so much, and he liked us so much.

Nothing really happened in this dream. I lost a close game of checkers with C, which A and another woman with short black hair and a suit matching mine both thought was hilarious. Then I was talking to the woman in the suit and my other colleague, a guy with a shaved head and a thick Estuary accent, about the guy's previous posting. Then myself and the guy with no hair were sweeping leaves off the path leading up from the gate while A told us a story about a hobo who came through the boardinghouse at some point that gave people bizarre gifts, and how our suits looked kind of like the one he always wore. It just went on like that, with some shorter or longer, until I got up in the morning.

It probably sounds boring written out but I'm posting it because I honestly think this was one of the best dreams I've ever had. Super comfy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:32:49 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: January 13, 2017, 08:21:30 am »

The one dream I remember from my sleep just now was some sort of graphical, DF-inspired game/film that followed goblin politicians on the campaign trail. I think. Maybe they were just rival warlords or something, but I'm pretty sure they were actually politicking.

Yes, there was lots of murder.

This makes me happy on a metaphysical level
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: January 13, 2017, 08:28:55 am »

Last night was bizarre. I kept repeating the same dream sequences over and over, but with tiny variations each time that never seemed to go anywhere. It felt like it would go on forever, but when I finally woke up I had only been asleep for about 3 hours.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: January 14, 2017, 01:48:16 am »

I dreamt I found an alien space ship in the back yard. Been abandoned for some reason. It had a gas oven in it, so I decided to make some food. I think it was chicken stir fry with beans and rice. Some horrible gut wrenchingly spicy concoction of that sort. Anyway I'm terrible with timing involved in cooking and ended up burning things slightly. So I took the space ship for a spin too. Then when I landed it all exploded. Not an especially violent explosion, more like unplanned rapid disassembly with some components flying apart violently. I was unharmed somehow. In the wreckage, right next to the pilots seat I had been sitting in, was the dead body of one of the aliens that must have owned the ship, what I decided must have been their kid. The body had a note with it that was like some weird scribblings on a piece of yellow ruled paper torn from a notebook that looked vaguely like it was supposed to be a warning. The kid apparently had been lying there dead under a console and I didn't notice because dead aliens don't smell in any way that would trigger alarms.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: January 14, 2017, 06:18:56 am »

Interesting (maybe) things last night.  Now fragmentary.

A toy (supposedly) Transformer that I had been prewarned was an evil Decepticon in the guise of an Autobot (and, in either case a real Transformer, pretending to be a toy) was given to me, and its motorised transformation from truck to robot slowly happened as I went along with both pretences, carefully noting which parts of the stacked containers on its trailer became which parts of the body and legs and stuff.  Some apparently useless rotations of the developing limbs were shown to be necessary 'unpacking' movements to facilite the changes. It went on for ages, and though I was trepidatious about it all, nothing actually happened after that, for good or ill, before I moved on to the point of finding the penguin chick swimming down the river, outside, with loads of other waterfow.  (Yeah, neither do I...)

Then a segment where my mother crashed us through a barrier, in her car, and we managed to fly over a canal/whatever and land the other side and I had to take her back and show her what we'd just done.

A bit with my car, that I don't understand.

And shortly after that, I alighted from a train in a quarry, where dumper trucks (using their loads of rock as ballast, for grip?) tugged huge container ships by their keel down over a long drop (dry waterfall) onto a road-which-is-a-river-bed-during-the-wet-season, ready to float off with their cargos once they can float.  There was conflicting evidence as to whether this quarry (and the town around the lower not-yet-river) were in the North American Mid-West (as it was at first), Wales (as evidenced by the placename of the lower town) or the Australian interior (more maps and as an explanation for the extreme dry/wet srsson differences.

Never mind, because then I go to the lower-town's railway station and try to catch a train back to the top end (if only I could understand the schedule displays).  Except two youths start bothering me, we get into a tussle. As self-defence, I propel us off the platform and onto the ballast between the two nearest lines. "Stop hassling me, and now we're definitely on CCTV" was my ultimatum, just before a locamotive I hadn't known was coming whizzed past, indicating that my timing could perhaps have been dangerously worse, in launching us across a track.

On the riverbed-road, back the other side of the platform, emergency vehicles speed past, seemingly on the way to upper-quarry's station (I presume to deal with our altercation and/or track trespass) and I dial the non-emergency number (should have been 101, waking me knows, but it was 112 that I dialled - the universal emergency number!) to clear things up, but I'm left with a holding message and music (so, in dream, it probably was the non-emergency line) up to the point that I am woken by the alarm.

More oddnesses, around that, but that was the salient (memorable) markers...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3442 on: January 14, 2017, 09:45:36 am »

I was me, in my body. I was a spy who was infiltrating a large house for some reason; in order to do so, I disguised myself as a young woman with two kids. (I suppose the spy agency gave me the kids. They were rather well behaved.) Another woman, who was IIRC one of the bad guys, gave me a tour of the mansion while my children followed us and played with a child who lived at the mansion. The woman exchanged places with a grumpy and whiny blind old man at some point. I did some poking around when the man was distracted by my children and their cookies. When the tour was over, illusion had become reality - I /was/ the young woman, and the children were actually mine. I started walking home, and then the dream ended.

==============

A short one: I was skipping down a hall, then I was galloping, faster and faster, until I jumped and spun around at the same time, whirling through the air. When I stabilized and my vision stopped being a blur, I was flying.

===============

My old science teacher and current SciOly coach was teaching us how to deal with the devil, apparently; through a series of strange steps involving chemistry, I gave up my ability to sleep in on Tuesdays in exchange for better skill at SciOly events.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: January 14, 2017, 09:23:59 pm »

Our world was actually a magical construct/simulation/something, while the real world was something much closer to the Diskworld.

Some schenanegans involving a wizard fight were resulting in our world being un-made, but a last ditch effort and self sacrifice by a powerful wizard resulted in a large number of us being transferred into 'the real world', resulting in loads of refugees having to learn how to fit into a high fantasy society.

Last thing I remember before waking up was people getting the local blacksmiths to attempt to recreate cars the best they can, at least visually, for nostalgia sake, and as a security blanket.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: January 14, 2017, 10:11:36 pm »

I was an adventurer archaeologist in a fantasy world. I was by the entrance of a ruin, and there was a viking duel or something happening in the background, but that's not important. I picked the massive door's lock and opened it to reveal a dark room. It consisted of a straight stone path in the middle and pools of some dangerous liquid to both sides. The middle of the path was being patrolled by two spotlights that covered almost the entirety of it, and the little uncovered areas were patrolled by smaller but faster lasers coming from the ceiling. The door at the back was blocked by an array of horizontal lasers. I knew that being in any light would be very dangerous for some reason. I thought and thought about the problem, trying to figure out a safe path through the room.

Then I flicked the light switch, turning off all the defenses and just walked straight through with my flashlight.

When I entered the next room, floating text appeared, and I knew it was the name of the place: "You pronounced that wrong." (If I ever got to name a location, I'd totally name it something like that.) There were no traps, but the room had a lot of fallen bookshelves that I started climbing over looking for interesting books. I touched one, and more floating text appeared saying that my Manipulation is now 100.

The song Sympathy for the Devil started playing, and I realized that all along, I was the demons. And then I was a zombie woke up, with the song still in my head.

E: I was still tired so I slept a few more hours:

The reason of going there had to do with biological submarines eating and being eaten by snake-like sharks (I could tell you about this dream, but I'm totally saving it for later use), but some of my friends and I arrived to a manor out in the countryside. We explored a bit and saw everything was set for us, but then I noticed a cuckoo clock on the wall. I set it up, but I made a mistake that felt like I was supposed to it (I put the weights on the pendulum rather than the hooks on the chains), and when I pushed the pendulum to speed, the clock went crazy and sent me forward in time. I was still in the manor, but now there was snow outside. One of my friends asked me what a cuckoo clock is. As I answered her, the cuckoo sang once, even though the time was exactly 13:18. Then everyone started hearing loud bangs and went into a panic, but I realized the bangs are in the rhythm of a wedding march.

My dreams this night were surprisingly vivid and had a certain internal logic and stability to them. I even managed to read flying text and the time from a clock.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:00:05 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: January 15, 2017, 07:21:09 am »

Two instances in my dreams last night of notably missing information. (I shall skip almost all the whole rest of the rambling plots, you'll be pleased to know.)

I am on Mars, with a companion. Walking around (no special suit, not necessary) sort of avoiding the Martians who are invading Earth, but unable to understand their language.  (At the same time I'm on Earth, investigating the invasion, but that's not the problem bit.)  We wander round a house, keeping clear of everyone.

Suddenly, whilst reading a wall-calender, Martian language makes sense and my companion tells me that it is three years' later, acknowledging that I have been there all the time; that I have been accepted by the Martians and (copious) human immigrants, alike; that I will have learnt things during this time but that there is no shock that, in whatever state of memory-free stasis it was, I will have no conscious memory of the transition.  It almost seemed like a plot point to be resolved (but it wasn't).

And then there was a later bit (different sequence, different scenario) when a tale being told to me transfered to TV. And five minutes before its conclusion, I run upstairs to my own TV in (some analogue of) my room in my parents' house to watch the conclusion, but I just can't get the right channel, spoiling my chance. (But I have to then explain to a passerby (because I'm outside, suddenly) that the bad signal in the TV is due to my archaic analogue tuner systems, the mobile mast strength on this island(?), currently heing battered by a storm(?), has been very good for more than a decade. Ignore the snow on the screen.)

More detail than intended, but my consciously (unconsciously) creating gaps in developing storoes seemed notable cop-outs, given the apparent ease of gap-filling.  Also, I found that it's fun watching large sea-birds standing on sea-walls that get overtopped by waves.   They float, obviously, no harm done - but it's funny, and not a common sight IRL, given their inane savvy for avoiding putting themselves into such easy trouble.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:11 am »

I can't remember much of the actual 'plot', but my dream involved readable text, original music and riddles to solve. Aren't those the sort of things that aren't supposed to work correctly in dreams?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3447 on: January 19, 2017, 02:27:05 pm »

My experiences on the above -

Readable text: my mind just throws some symbols at my eyes, then interprets the symbols as words. It's some strange script with lots of scribbles and curves and lines, but I just know what the symbols mean.

Original music: Oh, I get that all the time. But that happens when I'm awake, too.

Riddles: I occasionally solve tricky problems in my sleep (I figure out a new way of looking at it, rather) so solving a riddle doesn't seem too implausible. But developing riddles while you're asleep... seems rather strange, yes.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: January 19, 2017, 07:09:40 pm »

I remember something about 43.06 being released. That's all though.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: January 20, 2017, 12:14:20 am »

Had a dream where I'm going down a never ending water slide, and the water eventually turns into blood. I suddenly notice I'm dressed like a 1930s businessman, with a snappy suit, a fedora, and a briefcase. I open the briefcase while still going down the blood slide, and it opens to reveal a hole, which I promptly fall through. I land in another waterside, and the water turns into blood again. I don't know how many times it repeated, but it was a pretty terrifying experience all in all.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 339