Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Rumble in the Necropolis: Semi-Bastard Supernatural - Game Over!  (Read 86229 times)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rumble in the Necropolis: Semi-Bastard Supernatural - The Trials have Begun
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2012, 12:19:53 am »

Hapah:
OB: What role in the list in the OP looks best? Why?
I'd say that Monster Hunter is made to look best, because it's described as a "Powerful, trained" warrior. I also recall it behaving something like a vig+cop.

Dariush: What do you think of all the flavor discussion going on?

Hapah: Who would you be looking to guard tonight, were you a guard? Why?

Jim: Isn't it a little early to be speculating towards what the scumteam is?

Meph: Examine all of the orbs. Are they all the same?

My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2012, 12:20:33 am »

Erp, was busy with RL (and game started when I was asleep)

Okay, let's see. Tiruin, I don't recall having played a game with you. What do you think of the text Mephansteras has posted in the Day-start?
You haven't!

Meph makes great flavor text for the day, and knows how to put in-game text with the flavor mix in making it great. I'm guessing the semi-bastardy stuff comes from those orbs. And I'm thinking those orbs represent the lynch.

Tiruin: How much of the flavour you think will be relevant?

Based on my experience from before, Paranormal 21, I'd say that flavor will totally be relevant. The only thing is, that we've to look in-between the lines for the relevance.

Anyone: If you could pick one good Semi-Bastard to point me to so I can know what the hell I've gotten myself into, what would it be? I can't say I've ever played one.
Look at the game you're playing.  :P

Also, I am not a valid vote target.
Ooook...

Statue  with the four orbs flanking it. We cannot test you with your own game? ((Testing this out.))

Poke the nearest person. Then poke the skeleton.

@Statue: Did we bring clothes? Also, we have to pay because of trespassing? Statue, there was no sign or anything telling us about it. Trespassing and all that...

Bookthras: As a fellow-lover of flavor'd games, I'd like to ask, when do you think flavor will play an important role? After player's deaths meaning the type of death, or on the general setting and such?

Jim: Seeing your stance on Bookthras, why aren't you voting him? Nevertheless, who is the one here who you most likely want as your scumbuddy if scum, and are fearful of (meaning they are scum) if town?

Org: What do you mean by Monster Hunter packs some punch? You'd pick Vig(?) over a doctor//roleblocker role, why?

Deathsword: Out of the BMs, into the tomb.

How do you feel about your Mafia experience now? Also, what gives you the idea (pertaining to the ? you asked me) that flavor may or may not be relevant?

Toaster: Do you think there will be any variation (meaning) hidden roles just like the Mafia games Meph has set up before, seeing as this is a semi-bastard?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2012, 12:42:43 am »

Jim:
It's still a mafia game, and players generally win as teams.
Do you think so, or do you know so?

I think so, if only because it's usually the case in every other mafia ever.

Usual non-bastard general mafia rules may not apply here, but I think it would suck if it was possible to only win individually. It's just my hunch.

Jim: Seeing your stance on Bookthras, why aren't you voting him? Nevertheless, who is the one here who you most likely want as your scumbuddy if scum, and are fearful of (meaning they are scum) if town?

It was tongue in cheek.

Not trusting him doesn't mean automatically assume he's scum. I would need reason for that.

Also, Toaster is my mafia BFF (<3 <3 <3) and I always want to be on a team with him. As for people I would fear if I were scum, Bookthras is pretty good, as is Toaster, but this game isn't lacking in people who could find me out.

What?

Seriously?

Figuring out what we're up against is kinda fucking critical. It may be hard or impossible to figure it out right now, but that's no reason to not try at all.

Don't you want to know what the scum team is?

Statue  with the four orbs flanking it. We cannot test you with your own game? ((Testing this out.))

That's completely fucking ridiculous that will never work not in a millio

Hrm. Actually...

I vote Shimmering Skeleton Guy to test the Orbs. If he did it once, he can do it again.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2012, 01:00:35 am »

What?

Seriously?

Figuring out what we're up against is kinda fucking critical. It may be hard or impossible to figure it out right now, but that's no reason to not try at all.

Don't you want to know what the scum team is?
Yes, but when there's basically nothing to go off of, any time spent towards uselessly guessing at what the scumteam is is time that could be spent actually hunting down the scum and lynching them, which will definitely tell us what we're up against. I'd rather not waste time on that sort of speculation. Why do you want people to spend time guessing at what the scum is on day one when we have nothing to go off of?

My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2012, 02:05:04 am »

Because I want to know, durrr.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2012, 02:28:03 am »

Tiruin:
Bookthras: As a fellow-lover of flavor'd games, I'd like to ask, when do you think flavor will play an important role? After player's deaths meaning the type of death, or on the general setting and such?
Meph's games are special in a number of ways. One of these is that flavour is always important, and it may mean something game related. This is not the case in most games, and most game hosts should not attempt it unless they are really sure they know what they are doing. To answer your question, I think it is already meaningful on the D1 start post, as well as his (non)answers so far, and it will certainly be meaningful at the D1-end and D2-start post. There will be clues, which we must understand and take into account, or fail.

Jim:
I vote Shimmering Skeleton Guy to test the Orbs. If he did it once, he can do it again.
What do you hope to accomplish by this? From a flavour/RP point of view, do you think the long dead skeleton is going to react to your vote, and stand up and touch the thing? How, why and what for? He did it once, and ended up like you see it, would you do it again? Or maybe you have another reason to vote him... what is it? how are you testing the Orbs by voting him? Or flavour aside, do you think the skeleton is scum? Or are you just wasting time?

Bottle:
Why do you want people to spend time guessing at what the scum is on day one when we have nothing to go off of?
Seriously? Why do you not want people to try to find who the scum is on day one? We may have nothing to go off of when the game starts, but the very process of discussion turns up gems like this. Should we not spend time looking for scum? How else do you think people should spend their D1 efforts?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2012, 02:41:38 am »

Jim:
What do you hope to accomplish by this? From a flavour/RP point of view, do you think the long dead skeleton is going to react to your vote, and stand up and touch the thing? How, why and what for? He did it once, and ended up like you see it, would you do it again? Or maybe you have another reason to vote him... what is it? how are you testing the Orbs by voting him? Or flavour aside, do you think the skeleton is scum? Or are you just wasting time?

Shimmering Skeleton Guy hasn't made a single post since the game began. He's lurking fucking scum and needs to be lynched.

No, of course I don't think he's scum, smart guy, I'm trying shit out. And I don't expect him to begin reanimating in response to a pressure vote, because that's ten flavors of ridiculous. Just put his hand on the orb again. No vote-based necromancy required.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2012, 02:44:56 am »

So what are you trying to accomplish?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2012, 03:11:50 am »

That's a silly question coming from one of the people who tried RPing.

Sure, futzing around with RP is a perfectly good idea, but voting corpses, what the hell, what's with that guy.

I want to see if it does anything. I doubt it will, but whatever.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2012, 03:16:35 am »

Also, no comment about Tiruin voting a statue?

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2012, 03:41:48 am »

Also, no comment about Tiruin voting a statue?
He asked the statue questions (flavourful, to be answered or not by Meph). Did you ask the skeleton questions? Other than "but whatever" I still don't know what it is you were trying to achieve with your vote.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2012, 07:13:10 am »

Dariush: how do you think there being only four days/orbs will affect the game flow?
My guess would be days don't correspond to the orbs. it's quite possible that under at least some circumstances the orb won't become unavailible after being activated.
Dariush: What do you think of all the flavor discussion going on?
It's a fascinating read, well-written, with thought-through characters, all of whom are flawed idiots. Except me. I'm perfect.

Book, why are you quotemining OB? He quite plainly said that his priorities lie in 'actually hunting down the scum and lynching them'. However, you cut this part from his quote.

Also, what Jim asked. Why is his vote bad and stupid while Tiruin's is much worse (from logic standpoint), yet which you let pass? Survivors can easily lift the corpse and make it touch the orb, which isn't so easy to do with a statue. I'm beginning to notice a particular pattern of... selectiveness on your part in this game. Also, what the hell was up with that orb? Why do you even have it?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2012, 08:38:58 am »

Jim:  Noted.

Toaster, based on previous Meph bastards, what do you think the friendliness of hostility of various monsters (e.g., vampires, werewolves, etc.) will be in this game?

I'm not sure what you mean by "friendliness of hostility."  Are you asking if I think there may be roles that are non-hostile this game that are traditionally hostile, a la Bastanormal 2?  If so, I don't expect it to be a major factor, but it's certainly possible.  If there's (for example) a werewolf team, they could perhaps be masons instead of scum.  I'm not expecting much, though.

Book:
Toaster:
Knights are trouble, being kill-immune and all.
Please clarify the kill-immunity thing.

Knights in past Supernaturals have been kill-immune townies.  I believe certain superkills could still kill them, though.  Solifuge in Super2 is an example where such immunity was game-relevant.

Jim:

This is rather unexpected.  In a game where there is any taste of flavor, you're usually the first to jump headfirst into it- and indeed, you did so.  Why are you trying to shut this down, especially early D1 where there is still plenty of time to test things like this?  What is bad about what Jim has done?

What have you interpreted so far from the flavor?

Tiruin:
Toaster: Do you think there will be any variation (meaning) hidden roles just like the Mafia games Meph has set up before, seeing as this is a semi-bastard?

Almost certainly.  It's tough to postulate, but I'd say the most likely scenario is one to three people are "in on the secret" and know what others need to do/not do to win, and of course are there to stop that.  At the game's core, I expect it to still be Mafia- it's only a semi-bastard, not a full bastard.

Org:  Do you expect the flavor to yield any important clues?  How much focus on the flavor is too much?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2012, 09:54:07 am »

The Vote Tally
Bookthras: Dariush
Dariush: Orangebottle
Hapah: Deathsword
Orangebottle: Bookthras
Tiruin: Org
Toaster: Hapah, IronyOwl
Skeleton: Jim Groovester

Day 1 Ends ~5pm Pacific Friday

All of the orbs are the same.

The Statue does not respond.

Jim, who would be putting the skeleton's hand on the Orb?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2012, 11:13:48 am »

See, now that's interesting.  Mr. Bones appears to be a valid vote target- the Meph and Statue votes failed.

Meph:  Can we just throw the skeleton at the orb so no one is touching the skeleton when it impacts?  Is there enough connective tissue remaining so it's largely hanging together, or all the bones separate?

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31