Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Rumble in the Necropolis: Semi-Bastard Supernatural - Game Over!  (Read 86172 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Rumble in the Necropolis: Semi-Bastard Supernatural - The Trials have Begun
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2012, 08:15:17 pm »

Book:
IronyOwl: what do you make of the skeleton lying by one of the Orbs?

He chose poorly.

What do you think the "Semi" in "Semi-Bastard" implies?

Irony:
Toaster, what effects do you think lynching someone will have?

Being only a semi-bastard, I don't think too much.  The biggest effect is that I expect a highly different flavor result based on alignment.  I expect most people to die on being judged, but perhaps there's a Jester-type role who is found worthy and deified or some nonsense on lynch.

Jim:  What lessons from Bastanormal 1/2 will you apply here?

Deathsword:  Have you read any other Supernatural games?

Meph:  Are there roleflips?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2012, 08:42:29 pm »

Toaster and Orangebottle: I've read supernatural 5, and in regards to Orangebottle's question, it helped see how the roles specific to this set-up work in general.

Hapah: If you could choose, would you pick a role that allows you to protect others or one that lets you kill instead?

Tiruin: How much of the flavour you think will be relevant?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:38 pm »

Welp, standard Bastard flailings go.

Examine one of the orbs.

The Orb is made of some silvery substance. Going near it sends the hairs on the back of your neck standing straight up.

There will be role flips.

Also, I am not a valid vote target.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2012, 09:31:32 pm »

Bottle:
Bookthras: Which two people in this game would you want on your side as Town? Scum? Why?
Hard to say, this game has a great line up. But the "why" first: I enjoy playing with active, verbose, cunning, insightful people.

On my side as scum I'd go for active/cunning first, as it makes scumchat more fun: say Toaster and Hapah (or several others, this game has no lack); on my side as town I'd go for insightful/verbose first, for a better town chance: Jim and Tiruin.

But I think it's unfair responding the question with the just two spots requested; Toaster, Shakerag, or IronyOwl, for example, would be great (if more laconic) in either capacity, as well as several new & returning players I'd like to see more of... this game is full of stars of all calibres (new & old, subdued & weird, angry-types & happy-types). It's going to be fun.

Toaster:
What do you think the "Semi" in "Semi-Bastard" implies?
I think it means Meph won't lie on flavour or roles but everything else is fair game (as opposed to a true, completely bastard, where you're liable to wake up and find out it was all a dream or something...)

Toaster, what effects do you think lynching someone will have?
Being only a semi-bastard, I don't think too much.  The biggest effect is that I expect a highly different flavor result based on alignment.
Do you think "choosing poorly" would have an effect additional to that of a normal mislynch?

Those are both good questions, and I'm glad to see the answers! Ooooh, flavour text is active (at least the "examine" verb)! Goodie.

Meph:
Examine the shimmering dust covering the skeleton.

Examine the talking statue, looking for the mechanism that makes its lips and hands move.

Book addresses the talking statue, and pointing towards the skeleton lying by the Orb asks "what happened to him?"

No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »

Meph:
Examine the shimmering dust covering the skeleton.

Examine the talking statue, looking for the mechanism that makes its lips and hands move.

Book addresses the talking statue, and pointing towards the skeleton lying by the Orb asks "what happened to him?"

The dust is slick and falls off of your finger quite easily.

The Statue has no noticeable mechanisms.

You get no response from your question to the Statue.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 09:54:42 pm »

Oh, how VERY useful you are.  8-P

Meph:
Examine the Tomb of Mah-Sut. Are there clues relating to Majesty or the Orb's history or their Judgement requirements?

Look at the Orb pedestals, is there room for a fifth one?
Oh, looky here, Book reaches into his bag and pull out an Orb, identical to the ones standing on the pedestals. Can I build a pedestal from the pebbles here and place my Orb on it?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 09:57:40 pm »

Examine the skeleton who lies covered by the shimmering dust.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:08 pm »

Oh, how VERY useful you are.  8-P

Meph:
Examine the Tomb of Mah-Sut. Are there clues relating to Majesty or the Orb's history or their Judgement requirements?

Look at the Orb pedestals, is there room for a fifth one?
Oh, looky here, Book reaches into his bag and pull out an Orb, identical to the ones standing on the pedestals. Can I build a pedestal from the pebbles here and place my Orb on it?

You do not notice anything obvious in the chamber that gives any clues.

Nor do you have an identical orb. Yours is much smaller, and a bit dented. It's a rather poor substitute, really, and no one is fooled by it. Nor are there enough pebbles to make a pedestal out of.

Examine the skeleton who lies covered by the shimmering dust.

The skeleton is wearing rags. Looks like it's been here a very long time.
Come play Mafia with us!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2012, 10:23:22 pm »

Deathsword: I'd go with the protect. Being a Vigi stresses me out, apparently.

----

Oh man, this is going to be good.

Book: Ha, that's why I can't play a true Bastard. "You wake up because halibut cannot dream. Exits are N, E, and S. You cannot breathe air. You die."

Anyone: If you could pick one good Semi-Bastard to point me to so I can know what the hell I've gotten myself into, what would it be? I can't say I've ever played one.

IO, Book: Have you been in a Semi-Bastard or Bastard before? How'd you know to investigate the orbs/scenery?

OB: What role in the list in the OP looks best? Why?

Toaster: As scum, what role in the town list would you be most scared of?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2012, 10:47:17 pm »

Get ye flask

Hapah:  Straight from the Notable Games Archive, Rysith's Semi-Bastard is an excellent game, one I highly recommend.

Knights are trouble, being kill-immune and all, but I think a sorcerer is a PGO- that's just bad news.

Deathsword:  Noted.  What was your favorite part?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »

Get ye flask

You cannot get ye flask.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:10 pm »

Jim: what do you make of the "only one of true Majesty will be allowed to pass into the Tomb"?

Maybe there's a lost heir of this dead emperor guy hanging around, meaning there's somebody of literally true majesty, in which case, we need to keep him alive to pass into the Tomb. Or maybe it's metaphorical, like in The Last Crusade, in which case, there's somebody or somebodies of exceptional valor and nobility (not literal) hanging around and we need them alive to get into the Tomb. Maybe they know who they are, maybe they don't. Or maybe there's a different definition of majesty being used than what we expect.

Or maybe it means that only one person will be able to get into the Tomb. I don't really see that being likely. It's still a mafia game, and players generally win as teams.

Or maybe this is a completely irrelevant issue. I have no idea. It's just speculation until we know better.

I think parsing the opening flavor as a whole is probably a better idea than looking at individual lines anyway.

Jim, how vital do you think figuring out the bastard aspect of this game will be, relative to the normal mafia aspect?

Probably pretty vital.

They were vitally important in the last two bastards by Mephansteras. The game being a semi-bastard doesn't lead me to believe that its bastard mechanics will be any less vital.

We should figure them out, or fail to do so at our peril.

Jim:  What lessons from Bastanormal 1/2 will you apply here?

1. Never trust Bookthras.
2. Try to figure out what the 'town' win condition for the game is and get people to work towards it. (I put 'town' in quotes because it may not be the standard 'kill the scum team.')
3. Don't shoot Shakerag if I'm on a scum team with him even if I don't know for certain that he is.
4. Don't ignore inconsistent claims just because of 'bastardness.'
5. If scum, don't rally the 'town' to the 'town' win condition by getting angry and shouting what it is at Powder Miner.

Points 2 and 4 are probably most relevant for this game.

The Orb is made of some silvery substance. Going near it sends the hairs on the back of your neck standing straight up.

Will doing RP stuff ever yield useful results?

Toaster, based on previous Meph bastards, what do you think the friendliness of hostility of various monsters (e.g., vampires, werewolves, etc.) will be in this game?

Bookthras, what criteria do you think we should be voting people on based on the opening flavor?

Hapah,
Toaster: As scum, what role in the town list would you be most scared of?

Scum and town are funny words to throw around in bastard games. In both of Meph's previous bastards, neither the scum or town teams were standard. What's your opinion on what they would be?

Org, let's say you are Org. Is it more advantageous for you to adhere to your previous meta or do something different?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2012, 11:16:12 pm »

Probably not.
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »

I'm not even sure that that is a good question Jim. Do I want to wait another year or so to play games if I go back to how I used to play?
I would say no, it would help to change from how I used to play so I don't have to see posts calling for some idiotic policy lynch or whatnot.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2012, 11:52:27 pm »

Hapah:
Anyone: If you could pick one good Semi-Bastard to point me to so I can know what the hell I've gotten myself into, what would it be? I can't say I've ever played one.
IO, Book: Have you been in a Semi-Bastard or Bastard before? How'd you know to investigate the orbs/scenery?

The second question first: these are the kind of things to look out for in a Bastard. A brief quote from an old recurring post of mine:
d) This is a semi-Bastard game, which generally means there is a deviation on how the Moderator acts towards players, or win conditions are nonstandard or variable, or something else entirely different and unexpected. A "Bastard" is not a fair game; your goal is to succeed even against the Moderator's unfairness. Reading older Cybrid [or bastard] games is recommended.

Speaking of which, Moderator: This is a semi-bastard game, so I'll ask before the game starts: can we assume you will tell the truth with role PMs or game flavour? Will any players not in the list of initial nine (spectators and such) be actually playing or be able to influence the outcome? Is the Overseer going to make an appearance? [1]

As for the first, in my personal experience, the best and most fun semi-bastard games have been those ran by GlyphGryph. Probably the most fun and weirdest game I have ever played was GG's Politibastard. That was fucking awesome: pure unadulterated awesome fucking FUN! No other words give it justice. Also loads of fun was GG's Resurrection++ game. Rysith's game posted by Toaster is a good example of "it was all a dream" full-bastarditude, but I didn't play it so can't say.

Toaster:
Knights are trouble, being kill-immune and all.
Please clarify the kill-immunity thing.

Jim:
It's still a mafia game, and players generally win as teams.
Do you think so, or do you know so?

Bookthras, what criteria do you think we should be voting people on based on the opening flavor?
Not based on flavour; people should vote based on who they think is scum. Once we know more, other options may appear, but until then, get the scum's gonads as souvenirs!

Probably not.
While I have low hopes of breaking the game by posting in italics, I will take that "probably" as justification for at least keeping it in mind. If earlier Meph's bastards have shown us something, as Jim said, is that is it not meaningless. How much we can extract from it is unknown, but failing to solve the puzzle means losing the game.

Yours is much smaller, and a bit dented.
Sigged!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31