Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: State of decay  (Read 5673 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: State of decay
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 10:49:33 am »

It's been announced today that they're currently in the process of sorting out native mouse and keyboard support and getting it to work with STEAM. From there, they're going to work on more of a sandbox mode!

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/games-state-of-decay-fastest-selling

Genuinely can't wait!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:54:02 am by Kaje »

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 11:35:27 am »

From what I've picked up it seems the Xbox arcade release was just a lite version of the game they mocked up and released early, The PC release might be fairly different.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 11:50:56 am »

That would be great. The xbox version is fun, but it is somewhat limited, which is probably why it's 15 or 20 bucks.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 12:22:52 pm »

It does seem to be in constant development according to the above article, the suggestion of a sandbox mode being able to be put in without too much hassle suggests they've already got their ideas and know where they want to go.

It looks superb, apparently plays superb (my 360 long died and got sold) and I can't wait to see it on the superior machine! ;)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »

Steam Early Access release tomorrow.

3 months to port from console to PC and even then still not finished on PC yet :P

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 02:21:22 pm »

Steam Early Access release tomorrow.

3 months to port from console to PC and even then still not finished on PC yet :P

According to the dev blog and forum posts, it's because they are trying to make it a proper port. They apparently had to redesing the graphical engine and completely redo the control schema. They are also updating the game as per the feedback, and inserting a sandbox mode.

I don't mind waiting for them to do it right. Better that than, well, most major releases today.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »

Here's a 13 minute look at the PC version at IGN

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/09/19/state-of-decay-pc-commentary

I bought the 360 version earlier this year. I loved it, but the pop-in and framerate issues were often hard to swallow sometimes. I'll definitely be picking this up on Steam tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:07:22 pm by Vorbicon »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 06:56:09 pm »

What I love about State of Decay is it does avoid one of the dumbest things most survival games in general do... and have houses, stores, or what have you... have only ONE item often per container.

I dislike the artificial scarcity often introduced into zombie survivor games.

Heck in Dead Island guns and ammo is not rare, in fact it is extremely common, but they make it "scarce" simply by making you carry very few clips.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:00:04 pm by Neonivek »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 08:48:09 pm »

PTW
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 12:49:10 pm »

Going to raise this thread from the dead. (Just a little bit.)

I've been reading up about it on steam and its gotten me interested in it. Is it worth picking up for the 19.99 that Its asking for? Does it feel clunky at all? How about the controller? (I have one so that isn't a problem but I just want to know whether or not Its a bad PC port or not.)

Thanks.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 12:59:25 pm »

I've been reading up about it on steam and its gotten me interested in it. Is it worth picking up for the 19.99 that Its asking for? Does it feel clunky at all? How about the controller? (I have one so that isn't a problem but I just want to know whether or not Its a bad PC port or not.)

Thanks.

There's another thread with more recent opinions on the game:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131326.0

There are also some videos on youtube that give pretty decent impressions of the game. For example here's a very recent one by Totalbiscuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxe0CLBIPc

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »

Thanks.
Worth it.
Lets say if you liked Fort Zombie, this one is better. (In my opinion.)

Clunky, not really, but I've been using a controller.  The KB+M is not officially supported yet, but it will work.  Documentation for KB+M is all over the place and will probably change later.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 01:52:00 pm »

Every time I look at it, what turns me off is the melee. It just looks so hammy and looks unresponsive without having played it. I think I'm gonna give this one until after release before I take try it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 03:39:11 pm »

The melee's not super great, but it's not horrible either.  There's lots of great tense zombie movie moments where you look up and there's like thirty of them coming in on you and things turn into a mad scramble to get away.  I'd really like to see a multiplayer mode, maybe make it a little deadlier too.
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 07:56:57 pm »

I got a copy of the game today and have been enjoying what I've played so far. I found the melee combat to be fairly adequate. It's not great, and is not as good as third person games that focus on melee combat (like batman or what have you) however it is better than some other open world games (like Grand Theft Auto or Just Cause games). The combat isn't as unresponsive as it looks - I think what mostly makes it look clunky is the animation quality which isn't as good as it is in games with higher budgets. I'm looking forward to the mouse and keyboard support though, my controller's analogue sticks aren't as good as a they would be on a 360 controller so it is more difficult for me to aim.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4