Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: State of decay  (Read 5671 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
State of decay
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:53:24 pm »

alright i jsut saw this on PC gamer, holy SHIT this looks good and it has been in development for 2 years ! before dayz

its a real time developing zombie sandbox not sure if multiplayer or not but holy hell it looks good with sweet features to boot, this is a True zombie survival sim

website - http://undeadlabs.com/about-state-of-decay/

Gameplay vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yvLrjnGdU&feature=player_embedded#at=57

Features

Zombie Survival

What if society came screeching to a halt? What if all our rules and laws no longer mattered? State of Decay brings these questions to life in a very real way. It’s not just about combat; it’s about doing what you must do to stay alive. Food, water, shelter, and ammo — you’ll need them all. Taking you beyond the initial panic, and beyond the first weeks of the crisis, State of Decay is the embodiment of the “What if?” zombie apocalypse scenario.

Sweet Action

Move through the world like a zombie-slaying badass. Dive through windows, jump on cars, and take it to the living dead with baseball bats. Hop in a truck and mow down some undead pedestrians. Break into the local police station and clear out their arsenal or walk into the local grocery store to stock up on your favorite junk food. The world is your oyster…a shiny oyster that happens to be filled with zombies.

An Evolving World

State of Decay is an open sandbox world that develops in real-time, dynamically generating content based on your actions, the choices you make, and the ever-increasing zombie threat. Decide where you’d like to set up a fortified safe haven for you and other survivors you’ve rescued, then form raiding parties to gather resources and create supply chains. Use the materials you’ve gathered to develop your community as you see fit, but be careful — resources will deplete as you pillage areas, and zombies are attracted to noise and activity. Take up the offensive by assaulting hordes before they reach your settlement, or focus on improving your defenses against the massed zombie attacks. Every choice and every action matter in this fully simulated, evolving world.

EDIT: i think it is online ? one of the blogs talks about meta gameplay always going on even while you are away

"The state of the world even progresses when you aren’t playing. Crises happen at a slower rate while you are away (we have to leave you some time to sleep, eat, work/study, etc.), but the need for food and medicine and ammo and construction materials never stops entirely. This 24/7 real-time nature of the game also includes the need to rest up and to get a good night’s sleep."

EDIT 2: yes i think its a mixture of offline and online game play ( picking one or the other )

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 05:59:37 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: State of decay
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 05:56:34 pm »

That does sound good, although I'm not a fan of third-person shooting.  I love the idea of a zombie sandbox though.

(I don't think I'll ever get tired of zombie games)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:09:24 pm »

So... when is this coming out?

And yes, there are never ever enough zombie games.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »

im not even sure but i want to play it very badly, BUT the dev's do post alot on their forums and interact with the community, so its probably on the forums somewhere

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:21:42 pm »

I'm kinda against a ongoing metagame aspect when the game is off.
If i want to turn the game off then i want it to be off and my fort/factory/transport route safe and ready for me when i come back.

However if the game continues after in turn it off then things can get a bit tricky because i'm "forced" to play it and resolve the problems that crop up "overnight".

And what if i start playing something else for a week or month?
Will i find my fort overrun by zombies all other survivors eaten and they ate each other because the supermarket full of food i set to plunder when i last played is totally empty for weeks despite being full when i left off?

Not for me i guess.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:30:28 pm »

That is probably going to be the first thing I mod...  1 real life day = 1 minute  (Hah)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:06:54 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 06:34:23 pm »

I suppose it'll work like dayz does, IE your inventory and your character is mysteriously snatched away from the world whenever you log out and the world keeps changing while you're offline, but your character and items aren't affected.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:34:33 pm »

I proberly have my facts wrong I have not had much time to trawl the forums I have been trying to sort my stupid display for HDMI oh I miss you VGA :(

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:42 am »

The concept of the world continuing to progress while you're offline is interesting, but I agree it wouldn't be for me. That whole 'going on vacation for 2 weeks and coming back to find everyone is a zombie and you've starved to death' isn't for me.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:32:06 am »

Looks like it could be a gem.

I also noticed that this game's design is rooted in the "fast zombies" camp.  This one's not for zombie purists, it seems.  Being sandboxy by nature, perhaps there's a toggle between slow/fast zombie hordes?
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 02:49:40 am »

It will be on for Xbox too, thus my initial excitement fades away now.

You can not have a submarine simulator on consoles, you can not have paradox games on consoles, you can not have a zombie apocalypse sim on consoles.

So it will either be reduced to a few buttons, or have an extremely long scroll-option menu. Both seem bad.

Then again, i was wrong before. Once. And for the sake of us all, i hope it's the second time now.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:16:16 pm »

So I have kept tabs on this for a while and it's been updated quite alot and a lot of features have been described in the dev log on the main website.

It is also now 100% coming it for PC also if you look on you tube there are several videos showing off more game play now.

Sorry for lack of links and other whoha I'm on my phone right now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 01:27:49 pm »

The amount of effort put into the various kill-sync animations makes me question where the game's heart truly lies.

On the other hand, dozens of zombies clinging to fish tailing car does seem pretty bad ass.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 02:35:30 pm »

Wish im not mistaken but looks like GTA with zombies, a little too action oriented for my taste and also consoles? I need to see to belive in this, im sticking my hopes to dayz standalone.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 05:31:45 pm »

Look good on paper, but will it deliver? I got scared as soon i saw microsoft.... Another console-port/clone crap? or for once a realy good game? Only time will say, and i hope to be proven wrong in the end.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4