Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 134

Author Topic: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Lincoln is no match for Acererak!  (Read 371444 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: What goes around comes back poisoned.
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2012, 11:43:29 pm »

"Guys, if you really want to live, don't fuck around with whatever I mark with my chalk, ok? If I do so, it's because I think it's trapped. Can someone with a light follow behind me, so I can see?"

Mark out the pits with my chalk so that everyone can see them. Proceed down the hall slowly, double checking after Hans with my pole before he moves forward. Mark out any traps we find with my chalk.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: What goes around comes back poisoned.
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2012, 12:01:02 am »

"I see that I am too late. Ah, well, I suppose I still need to do this thing anyway."

I follow Hans and Kazard, holding up a torch to light the way, and making sure I only step in places they have stepped already.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Trap Freebie
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »

I'll carefully examine the goggles we found, and if Urist is nearby, have him also inspect them. I'm looking for any extraordinary / magical properties, hidden enchantments, and a possible use for them. And I'll stick close with the group, only walking where someone else has walked before, and being sure to heed the chalk X's. Also be ready to cast feather fall, should another pit open up.

And I'll update our map a bit, and reflect the new knowledge of the hallway we are in.

Seeing as Urist apparently has nothing to do, the two of you bunker down and get to work on figuring out what the goggles do.

[14] After several minutes of intense investigation, you deduce that they are goggles of day! What do goggles of the day do? Search me, It's from Libris Mortis. Excuse me for one second while I search the internet.

Ah, here we go.

Okay then, scratch that. They're actually goggles of night, and have always been goggles of night and are probably from Eastasia. If you're wondering what they do, well... they're basically night-vision goggles. Anyways Gramjir pockets it, because he's the only one with a free inventory space right now.

GNHS will see if he can detect the triggers/disable the pit traps, and if successful, search for more. After picking the rope back up, of course.

Ahem, search the floor, walls and ceiling of the corridor past the third pit trap for more traps very cautiously, for about another thirty feet, not straying too far from the group. If I encounter a trap/something interesting, strenuously insist no one mess with anything until I've inspected it quite thoroughly.

Mark out the pits with my chalk so that everyone can see them. Proceed down the hall slowly, double checking after Hans with my pole before he moves forward. Mark out any traps we find with my chalk.

I'm going to be frank with you. Three rogues searching the entire area top to bottom is more than this section of the dungeon can handle, so let's skip ahead until you reach the end of the corridor, okay? If you want, I can mark the location of the pit-traps you've disabled on the map. Once Lich180 posts it, of course.

Overall the corridor is 130 feet in length, most of it very boring and filled with pits. At the very end is a fearsome looking relief.

A fork of the red tile path leads directly to a leering devil face set in the mosaic at the corridor’s end. The devil’s mouth gapes wide and empty—in fact it is dead black, emitting no hint of light and allowing none entry.

The devil itself is a deep green colour, though the inside of its mouth is completely and incredibly black, not even reflecting the glare of your torches. Whatever it is, it has to be magical.

Now what about the other fork, might you ask? Well, I've got you covered.

A section of the red tile path leads into a mist-filled stone archway. Three large stones are embedded in the arch. Each has a different hue—yellow on the lower left, bluish at the top of the arch, and orange on the lower right.

The stones in the archway are dull in hue, looking more like a cheap quartz than sapphires or some other colour-appropriate gem. The archway itself is made of the same greyish stone as the rest of the dungeon, and the mists contained within it are so thick that you can't see through them.

Spoiler: Brave Adventurers (click to show/hide)

I'm considering making a character (A mage, if you must ask) and joining this. Thing is, though, I'm considering making one of his spells something I call Wild Magic, which would basically be rolling on this table and accepting the result no matter how much it could screw things up. Does anybody have any serious objections to this?

No one seems to care, so go for it.

It's a good thing that the rest of the dungeon doesn't rely on random-ass pit traps, but I'm probably going to bump up the difficulty for traps anyways.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Trap Freebie
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »

I'm going to chuck a bit of soup mix into the devil face and see what happens.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2012, 07:39:36 pm »

I'm going to chuck a bit of soup mix into the devil face and see what happens.

Sigh.
I run the fuck away from Kadzar.

A pitch black pit thingy inside the mouth of a DEMON STATUE? This just screams bad things at me.

I carefully examine the archway, while avoiding Kadzar like the plague as he does his soup mix thing. I attempt to deduce if there are any traps, and ask for a mage to use his detect magic sight to check out the archway for magical traps/stuff that could be helpful.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:12 pm »

Okay, map is updated to what I think is about right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll welcome the son of Kadzar, and promptly stay away (far away) from him and the demon-face-hole, just in case something awful happens.

((What sort of night vision are we talking here, the "make everything glow bluish-black" like Nightvision in Skyrim, the "amplify ambient light" like real NVG's, or magic "make everything appear as it does in the day" goggles?))

I'm pretty sure I saw something about swapping spells for another if we need it, and if I'm right I'll switch Ethereal Walk for Detect Magic, and cast it, examining the archway and demon-face relief

I'm a bit leery to look to closely at that demon-face relief though... all that darkness. I'll very cautiously examine the demon-face with Detect Magic, or have Urist do it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2012, 08:22:33 pm »

GNHS will stay at least 50 feet away from Kadzar and the demon mouth- he has a bad feeling about this.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2012, 09:07:24 pm »

Kazard will also stay away from Kadzar while he does the soup toss thing, and examines the archway as well as the outside of the relief for traps.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2012, 09:10:28 pm »

I agree with the majority of adventures. Cast detect magic on the mouth then go back past the fork and wait for screams of agony Kadzar throwing the soup
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:04 pm »

((On the portal, THE PORTAL! I want to know what part of it is magical.))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:00 pm »

While Kadzar dies horribly throws soup. I go and cast detect magic on the portal.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:10 pm »

Posting to watch. Hmm this might be off topic and distracting but I might try to make this as a mega project.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2012, 10:12:42 pm »

In what?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2012, 10:22:59 pm »

PTW. Instead of throwing soup into the hole, why don't we LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE try poking the end of a pole or something into it? If it comes out gnawed off or missing (like a Devouring Shadow spell, which causes any object that touches it to be wiped out of existence) then we can more accurately gauge what it is.

Or it might pull the pole and the guy holding it in.  :)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »

PTW. Instead of throwing soup into the hole, why don't we LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE try poking the end of a pole or something into it? If it comes out gnawed off or missing (like a Devouring Shadow spell, which causes any object that touches it to be wiped out of existence) then we can more accurately gauge what it is.

Or it might pull the pole and the guy holding it in.  :)

Nah, let him throw the soup, so long as everyone stays far from him. Far. VERY FAR from him.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 134