Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 134

Author Topic: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Lincoln is no match for Acererak!  (Read 371457 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: What goes around comes back poisoned.
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 09:06:17 pm »

In the picture of the north entrance, there is a barred door just past the chest-in-the-wall, and it looks like something is holding the bars. Not sure if that is part of the frescoes, or an actual door. And the red pathway looks to be almost straight through so far, since the room doesn't quite end in the light we have, I marked it with "Darkness" and I'll update it when we explore farther.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:17 pm »

Ah. The dungeon fresco. I'd have provided the description for it, but the GNHS detected a pittrap in front of it and was blocking everybody's view.

The red pathway does start on the eastern side, and is shown quite clearly on the master map (I'd show you if it weren't for the obvious reasons). Also the picture seems to be a view from ten feet in the corridor, not the very start.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:50 pm »

Ok, I can adjust things a bit then. I'll draw a line for where our view in the picture begins, about 10 feet in.

EDIT: Added the changes in, on my first post with the map
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:17:40 pm by Lich180 »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2012, 09:19:08 pm »

i cast heal on Midna before edging along the pit back to the red path and inspect the red path for traps
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2012, 09:31:41 pm »

In retrospect, I should have gotten healing after that minor cave-in. Well, at least I'm the only one who died from that, and now we know not to do that again, so, progress. Anyway, here's my replacement:

Name: Kadzar II (Son of Kadzar)
Class: Battlechef (Fighter)

Weapons: Vegetable Knife (Knife), Pot Lid (Shield)
Armor: Iron Scale Apron, Iron Chef's Hat
Items: Pot, Ladle, Soup Mix, Cord of Firewood, Flint and Steel, Torches

I will walk up to the party, introduce myself, and ask if they have seen my father, who went missing in this area.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:41:27 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:19 pm »

Well, seeing as how I've never actually played Tomb of Horrors, I may as well get in on this.

Name: Hans
Class: Rogue

Weapons: Short sword, short bow
Armor: Studded leather
Items: grappling hook with rope attached, lockpicking/assorted thievery kit, rations, healing potion (If allowed. If not, empty space)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »

Y'know... I marked that chest FOR A REASON! Trust the guy who's finding traps man! He doesn't want to die just as much as you do.

"Hey, check down there for useful stuff will you? There might be magic items or something down there we could use!"

Proceed down the corridor, searching for traps along all the walls, floor and roof, as well as tapping them with the end of my pole.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »

Better safe than sorry, momma always said! :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:40:13 am by Lich180 »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »

"Next time, wait for me to get out of the way, 'fore you push something... and check the movin' parts first!"

Might as well check out the corpses while I'm down here, see if they have... had anything valuable. I'd like to wait for a bit of healing first, though... I'm feeling a bit eviscerated.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »

"Next time, wait for me to get out of the way, 'fore you push something... and check the movin' parts first!"

Might as well check out the corpses while I'm down here, see if they have... had anything valuable. I'd like to wait for a bit of healing first, though... I'm feeling a bit eviscerated.

Sod healing. Loot the corpses now.

[16] Most of the junk in the pit is just that, junk. However you do find an oddly intact and ornate pair of goggles on one of the skulls. Well, I suppose that you also find all of the items that Kadzar was lugging around, but I probably don't have to tell you that. Anyways seeing as you don't burst into flames while picking up the goggles, you shrug and put it in your pack.

Err... by put it into your pack I mean you chuck it out of the pit for somebody else to look at. Yeah, somebody else.

GNHS tosses one end of his rope down to Midna, keeping hold of the other end to help her climb out.

After snatching the goggles out of mid-air and gently lying them on the floor, you take the rope out of your backpack for Midna to climb up. (+2 bonus to climbing)

[8 + 5 + 2] She didn't need the rope at all, but at least it was considerate of you.

And now that the map is done, I will VERY CAUTIOUSLY enter the room where the main group is (I think its the north entrance), greet the ones present, and heal Midna with Cure Wounds once she gets up next to GNHS.

As Midna climbs out of the pit, Gramjir the battlemage-wannabe wanders in to have a look around.

[11] The rest of the party fills him in on the details as he cures some of Midna's wounds. 1 healing

I cast heal on Midna before edging along the pit back to the red path and inspect the red path for traps

[11] With the help of Gramjir you finish healing Midna. 1 healing

Carefully sliding around the open pit, you head back to the red path. But wait, wasn't there another pit adjoining this one?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Proceed down the corridor, searching for traps along all the walls, floor and roof, as well as tapping them with the end of my pole.

You proceed down the corridor, avoiding the two pits on the western side.

[14 + 5] You find no traps on the walls.

[16 + 5] You do, however, find another pit trap, diagonally south from the other pit trap that the GNHS found.

Kinda like that, but 10 feet by 10 feet like the other two pits. Seeing as the pit underneath the chest is thirty feet from the entrance, this pit would be... fifty feet, and at the eastern edge. Hmm... Maybe I should have made the pits larger... Oh, and from your vantage point you see that the corridor extends at least forty more feet into the hill, for a grand total of ninety feet and counting. Seeing nothing new, you decide to get a good look at the torture chamber painting.

This portion of the fresco illustrates an iron door that evidently confines some sort of a horrid creature (its clawed and scaled hands grasp the bars of its small window) that can be loosed to torment prisoners.

A picture doesn't accompany this fresco, which is a good thing because it's probably the ugliest monster anybody has ever seen.

While Kazard is admiring the fescos/horrible pit traps, the son of Kadzar and Hans wander inside the corridor to have a look around. Everybody else rudely ignores them, because they all have more important things to worry about.

Spoiler: Brave Adventurers (click to show/hide)

Potions of all types are considered magical, and thus can't be bought into the dungeon. the dungeon has a few lying around, and I might throw some healing potions as well if I feel like it.

I think that I got everything, tell me if I didn't. I would have posted this yesterday, but it seemed unfinished to me for some reason.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2012, 04:40:50 pm »

GNHS will see if he can detect the triggers/disable the pit traps, and if successful, search for more. After picking the rope back up, of course.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2012, 05:17:25 pm »

I'll carefully examine the goggles we found, and if Urist is nearby, have him also inspect them. I'm looking for any extraordinary / magical properties, hidden enchantments, and a possible use for them. And I'll stick close with the group, only walking where someone else has walked before, and being sure to heed the chalk X's. Also be ready to cast feather fall, should another pit open up.

And I'll update our map a bit, and reflect the new knowledge of the hallway we are in.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:24:38 am by Lich180 »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2012, 06:46:42 pm »

I'm considering making a character (A mage, if you must ask) and joining this. Thing is, though, I'm considering making one of his spells something I call Wild Magic, which would basically be rolling on this table and accepting the result no matter how much it could screw things up. Does anybody have any serious objections to this?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2012, 06:53:39 pm »

"I understand that you're all busy, but I just want to say that I'd like to take my father's place in this dungeon. Coming here was the only way to save the family restaurant/dojo, but only one of us needs to be here, and I'd rather it be me than him. Where is he, by the way?"
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2012, 11:38:44 pm »

"Hey, dead guy in the pit! Oops, sorry man."

Ahem, search the floor, walls and ceiling of the corridor past the third pit trap for more traps very cautiously, for about another thirty feet, not straying too far from the group. If I encounter a trap/something interesting, strenuously insist no one mess with anything until I've inspected it quite thoroughly.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 134