Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461519 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1290 on: June 08, 2014, 01:08:58 pm »

So I had a plan to draw Bavaria and Lithuania into separate wars with me, allowing me to take down Poland without fighting Lithuania and without them breaking our alliance. Then a few weeks before my plan goes into action Hungary, my ally, declares on Poland making Bavaria and Lithuania join the war on the Polish side. And all my plans are ruined.

I was going to take the last 2 provinces of Novgorod that me and Muscovy hadn't gotten with Lithuania, then declare on Austria with Bavaria and Hungary at my side, while France and Castile were smashing Austria in a war. I would take some war exhaustion and lose 2 stability but w/e I had the admin points. Poland would join Austria and Bavaria and Hungary plus my PUed Bohemia would be on my side. Poland and Austria had like no troops because of France and Castile going after Austria's Burgundian lands. Not only did Hunagry fuck me and make me lose 25 prestige not joining their war, but then I reallied them after and they called me in again after I already said no. 50 prestige and my brilliant plan all down the drain. Unless Hungary loses fast and I can then declare on Austria anyways. But its unlikely.

And then it looks like France and Castile even though they were totally crushing Austria and all of the remaining Austrian troops went after Hungary, apparently caved and peaced out, without even taking any provinces. So now even if I can draw Lithuania into a separate war, I'll be facing the full might of Austria-Burgundy with a totally depleted Hungary.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:27:23 pm by MoLAoS »

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 08, 2014, 11:25:10 pm »

It's always a joy to goose step all over the HRE and create the real German empire. Are you still a theocracy? I heard that forming Prussia no longer changes your government and a theological Germany sounds like a lot of fun to play. Imagine the Hearts of Iron conversion...
I've been working on a conversion from CK2 to EU4 (I didn't care much for how the CK2 converter did it, so I've been editing that).
In that game, the Teutonic Order invaded a Cathar HRE, multiple times, eventually destroying it. As such, there is a huge TO in place of the HRE in EU4.

It would be scary if Sicily, which takes up the Italian Peninsula and Bavaria/Austria/Southern Germany weren't considered the strongest power by a longshot.

Also, no unified France.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 09, 2014, 06:17:36 pm »

Well, I found out that I can't play Castille without the RNG deciding I must lose everything.

Fights where I outnumber the enemy 2:1 and have a commander whilst they don't? Clearly I should get bad rolls to make up for that!

My morale drops like a fucking lead weight in every fight I go in as Castille, regardless of... well, everything.
Pre-emptive Aztec curse.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 09, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »

EDIT: Wrong thread.  This is EU4, not CK2. >_<

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1294 on: June 09, 2014, 06:57:04 pm »

Presented without comment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9910241/russia.PNG
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 09, 2014, 07:19:50 pm »

Presented without comment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9910241/russia.PNG
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks like Byzantium wants to be the HRE.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 09, 2014, 08:48:27 pm »

0.o

Crusader Kings import?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 09, 2014, 09:00:50 pm »

It most certainly does look like it. Frisia is certainly something that looks out of CK2, and both Poland and Italy are unusually colored. There are also two unusually gray states in Germany.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:33 pm »

Yeah, the Old Gods start has the HRE split into several Karling Kingdoms which were (I assume) destroyed historically and combined together to make the HRE but in the game tend to either stay separate or form a horrifying HRE deathblob that includes modern France.

Also the way the Byzantine Empire has expanded is likely result of using the Holy War CB on Pagans, and not being able to get away with that against Muslims.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 09, 2014, 11:05:46 pm »

Well, I found out that I can't play Castille without the RNG deciding I must lose everything.

Fights where I outnumber the enemy 2:1 and have a commander whilst they don't? Clearly I should get bad rolls to make up for that!

My morale drops like a fucking lead weight in every fight I go in as Castille, regardless of... well, everything.

Late reply, sorry.

In the defines file (Steam\...\common\defines.lua) there's an entry under NMilitary called COMBAT_DICE_SIDE. By default it's set to 10 (so you can roll 0-9), but you can lower it to make fights less random. I highly recommend it, because you can get some crazy snowballing bullshit if one side happens to get a comparatively high roll early in a fight. But if you're having problems more generally with every fight, it may be something to do with your units or the enemy's units and all their stats.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 10, 2014, 01:41:10 am »

So I finally managed to get a war with poland with bavaria and lithuania on my side. Sadly the Hansa didnt join the war as they should have. Instead it was just Muscovy and Poland against me, Lithuania, Bavaria, my vassal Brandenburg and my PU Junior Bohemia. I killed off Poland's entire army and sieged their entire nation. Only to realize later that they had aristocratic ideas and had +100% coring cost. So my paltry 50% from claims and admin ideas was not at all beneficial. I spent almost 700 ADM instead of 350 taking the provinces I wanted. Now I'll be lucky to have enough adm to core the Muscovite provinces I have claims on. Boy I hope they don't grab aristocratic too. What an OP idea group.

Edit: Oh, and then after the war, I lose Poland as a potential rival. FML.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 01:43:51 am by MoLAoS »

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 10, 2014, 08:31:20 am »

Anyone else here thinking that reformed is a tiny bit too strong?
It is way to easy to get more than 5 Fevor per month, even in times of war, which means you can basically use one of the three modifiers all the time and enter one from time to time as nice additional bonus.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1302 on: June 11, 2014, 05:35:39 am »

0.o

Crusader Kings import?
Yep. A friend and I played a CK2 game from old gods start until the end and then moved on to EU4.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 11, 2014, 10:33:51 am »

Finished my Sons of Carthage the other day. It wasn't too bad since the Iberian wedding didn't fire and Castile/France got into wars over Navarra before they could really become BFFs. Genoa hid behind Austria all game but an alliance with the Ottomans quickly solved that problem.

Biggest mistake was trying to colonise the New World in an attempt to fully wipe out the Iberian cultures. I already dominated the Sevilla trade node and should have just stolen all the trade coming in from the colonisers (but damn do I hate the Iberians). It would have been better to focus on colonising Africa and getting the full manpower and tax power bases there.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:35:43 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 11, 2014, 03:45:03 pm »

Late reply, sorry.

In the defines file (Steam\...\common\defines.lua) there's an entry under NMilitary called COMBAT_DICE_SIDE. By default it's set to 10 (so you can roll 0-9), but you can lower it to make fights less random. I highly recommend it, because you can get some crazy snowballing bullshit if one side happens to get a comparatively high roll early in a fight. But if you're having problems more generally with every fight, it may be something to do with your units or the enemy's units and all their stats.
What'll happen if you set COMBAT_DICE_SIDE to 100 or 1000?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 216