Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461543 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1275 on: June 03, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »

You made it to 1700 after the patch? I haven't even broken 1475 in my current Denmark game. I got curia controller which was nice, but then Russian roflstomped me in a war. Got the last two teutonic provinces but lost some from other places to make peace. I was trying to grab the last 3 nov provinces by taking ingermarland from muscovy so I could get claims. Probably just gonna kill Nov with only the 1 claim instead now. Then maybe go for Hansa with good allies.

Had to do it over from the beginning a couple times, but my strategy was to rush an alliance with Austria to keep Poland/Denmark/Brandenburg from DoWing while building barques, then joined the HRE, vassalized Pomerania, and then ate Poland with Austria's help. From there Eastern Europe is your oyster. I think I'll do it again, but this time not join the HRE and try to multitask conquering the east while eating away into the HRE.

I've normally played as Asian countries, but did they increase AE for actions against the HRE? Just getting caught fabricating a couple claims on Poland and vassalizing Pomerania was enough to get a coalition of every neighbor to form, and was the reason for one of the restarts. I ended up going into the defines to reduce it.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 03, 2014, 04:51:36 pm »

They increased AE universally in 1.6, and then drastically increased AE decay during the hotfix, so AE is kinda weird atm.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 04, 2014, 12:57:21 pm »

I used to complain about exactly 2 things before the current patch:

• Diplo annexations being too easy
  • Western units being superior to all the other ones even at equal tech levels

Guess what the new patch fixed?

I love the patch, pretty much everything is spot on!!

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 04, 2014, 02:47:30 pm »

I used to complain about exactly 2 things before the current patch:

• Diplo annexations being too easy
  • Western units being superior to all the other ones even at equal tech levels

Guess what the new patch fixed?

I love the patch, pretty much everything is spot on!!

Honestly, if they would just nerf the HRE I wouldn't have such a big problem with this patch.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 05, 2014, 07:53:54 am »

Western units being superior to all the other ones even at equal tech levels

Western still does pull a little bit ahead towards endgame, but by like 1-2 pips at most. It's a pretty spectacular change.

Shame about those horde units though. Hope maybe they have an expansion or patch that gives them a total revamp.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 06, 2014, 07:09:30 am »

To the guy that was wondering how the game picks potential rivals:
They need to be nearby and of roughly equal strength to you. They may or may not need to be neutral or worse with you as well.

Relations don't seem to have an impact. I can set my allies, the Mamluks, as a rival, and they pretty much adore me. I think the relations are mutual from my nation to theirs, as well.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 06, 2014, 08:57:46 am »

Western units being superior to all the other ones even at equal tech levels

Western still does pull a little bit ahead towards endgame, but by like 1-2 pips at most. It's a pretty spectacular change.

I think it's 4 pips, but not until the very last military tech levels, yeah.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 06, 2014, 09:20:55 am »

My very first game consisted of me, as Savoy, kicking arse in Northern Italy and Southern Germany and then colonising most of Mexico and a chunk of North America. Then Burgundy (who was huge and also a reliable ally) became hostile and, combined with Austria, swept me up.

I love the game but I find it hard to find the enthusiasm to go through another ~100 year set up for the potential for that to happen again.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 06, 2014, 11:52:23 am »

If you're England, France is easy to defeat... at sea. If you let them land, you're damned. Also, your allies are fucked. But as long as you have a better fleet, and as England you should, you'll have no trouble keeping them blockaded away and sitting on their asses.

If you're a continental European nation... a strong, coordinated alliance could get a victory. The AI is rarely strong and coordinated, of course.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 06, 2014, 12:43:01 pm »

It might be worth it to trick them into landing part of their army on britain before destroying their transport fleet.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 06, 2014, 12:59:14 pm »

France is a nightmare to defeat but once you've taken her down in a few wars you can easily balkanise them into a shadow of their former glory.
The way I usually take them down as a minor land power is to wait until she's burnt most of their gold/manpower on the HRE or Iberian block and then go in blazing with as many allies as I can round up. After that the other powers should hopefully beat on France in her weakened state and even better a peasant war might outbreak, repeat this process without letting her get manpower back up until you've punched out all the minors.

Taking out France early really does make land expansion in Europe pretty trivial since they tend to be the biggest land power in Europe. Austria won't be too bad for most of the game since they burn most of their manpower infighting the princes (although when they start reforming the HRE you may have a problem), Castile/England don't really expand all that much militarily since their main expansion is through colonies (they will become dreadful to fight on the sea however). Ottomans will start out god tier but will start to fall behind in the later centuries.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 01:03:46 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 06, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »

I'm on an ironman Teutonic Order/Prussia/Germany game, and my bro Austria and I have been able to beat back the french hordes successfully over the last century. It was funny, I randomly started as papal controller, and got to excommunicate France almost immediately. Not sure how much that slowed down their vassal integration. Granted, I'm at 140% discipline and perpetual 100% tradition, because yeah Prussia OP.

Only problem is that all these successful defenses of the HRE are gettting it dangerously close to actually forming, and I haven't nabbed all the provinces I want from it yet since I've focused on Russia and the Ottomans. I'll probably have to leave the HRE and betray Austria soon.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 06, 2014, 05:19:35 pm »

It's always a joy to goose step all over the HRE and create the real German empire. Are you still a theocracy? I heard that forming Prussia no longer changes your government and a theological Germany sounds like a lot of fun to play. Imagine the Hearts of Iron conversion...

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 06, 2014, 05:22:57 pm »

It's always a joy to goose step all over the HRE and create the real German empire. Are you still a theocracy? I heard that forming Prussia no longer changes your government and a theological Germany sounds like a lot of fun to play. Imagine the Hearts of Iron conversion...

The TO decision still does change your government. It is possible to create a theocratic Prussia as LO or any other theocracy by culture switching and using the generic form Prussia decision.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 06, 2014, 05:54:24 pm »

I played one game earlier to test the waters, and forgot to form Prussia before forming Germany as Teutonic Order, and it kept the theocratic ideas (not sure if it stayed as a theocratic government, may very well have actually since I don't remember any royal marriages afterward). They're not actually too bad, since it looks like Prussia's discipline got nerfed from their previous ridiculous levels.

Edit: Checked GermanNation.txt, doesn't look like it changes government. So yeah, I think you can have a theocratic Germany (but only the player, AI theocracies can't form it).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:33:00 pm by UrbanGiraffe »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 216