Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stupid things I did when I first started playing DF  (Read 6186 times)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid things I did when I first started playing DF
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 07:44:05 am »

I put non magma safe floodgates on the volcano that fueles my magma moat, my elegant solution was to overflow the moat into the caverns. It all went well, except I couldn't work out why my framerate was so very very low.

A Random Passerby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 08:46:41 am »

I... Forgot to make food in my very first fort, and I didn't understand the concept of floodgates.
So, I starved AND drowned my dwarves.

Also, in the older versions, it took me a moment to understand the danger carp posed.
Man, you can't go wrong with a *cow meat roast*

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 11:08:37 am »

Some of mine span years, you've all seen the learning curve image (or should have).  You are always starting out in DF.  If anyone doesnt know what im talking about with that pic then pipe up and someone will link it, its part of our heritage :)

I've seen remarks, but no images.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:43 am »

Some of mine span years, you've all seen the learning curve image (or should have).  You are always starting out in DF.  If anyone doesnt know what im talking about with that pic then pipe up and someone will link it, its part of our heritage :)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 12:10:51 pm »

HAH!... Wait why are some crucified on gibbets?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »

HAH!... Wait why are some crucified on gibbets?
It happens.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 12:20:38 pm »

When you reach the top of the curve you try to convert all your friends to the ways of dwarf fortress. Then they will see the madness in your eyes, and crucify you for your own good.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »

This is how my first siege went...

"there is only about twenty of them... my 10 man rag-tag military should handle this"

"i wonder what they have for weapons?"

k

"bows and whips... shouldn't be that bad..."

moments later...

"oh god! there all dead!!!... Pull the lever Urist! PULL IT!"

"wait a minute... wheres the main gate lever? what are those Ts? why are there so much blood on the walls?"

k

"trolls..."

The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 01:22:15 pm »

Many many months (Over a year I think.) ago I tried this game. I had NO IDEA how the farming system worked. I thought I needed a above ground (At this point I only had subterranean crops) farm plot, with a well near by. I don't remember exactly how it went, but I rage quit DF since I knew my dorfs were destined for starvation.

Two months ago, sometime in June, I came back to DF. And, well, here I am now!

Oh yeah, I'm also with everyone else on being horribly mangled by their first siege. Now I only use marksdwarves.

Oh, and back in the amount of time I played before the uber hiatus, I tried using the mouse for everything, which was inaccurate, time consuming, and very frustrating.

And back to my current stretch of playing, I used to give my dwarves 4x4 rooms, before I realized you could cram them in 1x4 rooms and they would be happy.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 01:48:37 pm »

Does anyone know what the original game to be shown with the Learning Cliff was?  I remember seeing this back almost a decade ago with Eve Online as the black line (though I agree it works with DF just as well :D ), but even then I could swear it was an altered image.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »

I was trying to make a hospital and put a well in it. I didn't understand water pressure in DF so I used a river to feed the well cistern. Poor injured dwarves laid in bed as water flooded the hospital around them.
The hospital door was locked and everyone was ordered to pretend that that door did not exist. The corpses were never recovered.

Another time making a hospital well I used water from the caverns or somewhere. I can't quite remember where it was but apparently it was a bad idea.  Anyway those cave-monster strangler things crawled out of the well and strangled all of the injured dwarves in their hospital beds as they slept.

Anyway another time when I was experimenting with migrant control I made a big room and filled it with chairs, floodgates, and drains. I called it the "Sitting room". I sent all of the recent migrants (2/3 of the fortress) there and pulled the lever. The resulting tantrum spiral was incredible.

Finally I didn't know that trolls could break down floodgates and I dumped a goblin siege into my drowning trap. After spending a few days underwater a troll broke down a floodgate and partially flooded the fortress. Then he and his buddies ran straight to the nursery. It was bad.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Pon_Katt

• Bay Watcher
  • GAK!GAK!GAK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 02:14:40 pm »

I remember my first siege.  I think and had 4 mounted goblin squads and a troll squad against my 40 dwarf military.  Two dwarves made it back.  I later rebuilt the military, but it was quickly slaughtered in the next siege.
My little voice approves.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 04:42:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does anyone know what the original game to be shown with the Learning Cliff was?  I remember seeing this back almost a decade ago with Eve Online as the black line (though I agree it works with DF just as well :D ), but even then I could swear it was an altered image.

I first saw this image with in connection with Eve Online as well, and I was wondering about it too.

The earliest similar image I could find was from 2008: http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=361613
although there were a few that may have been older. 

The earliest Dwarf Fortress version of the image that I could find was from 2010:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18453

Looking at the font, on the Eve image, in "TIME SPENT PLAYING" and "LOTR ONLINE", the T and L appear to be identical, so that indicates that is original text.  OTOH, in "Eve: The Second Genesis", the E and S appear different from the E and S in "TIME SPENT PLAYING", so that is most likely 'shopped.
-- On closer examination, the T and L are ever so slightly different.  The height is the same, but the width is off by a pixel or two.  So, that makes it a copy of a copy. 

in the Dwarf Fortress image, the fonts are completely different for the axis and line labels.  The DF image has much fewer jpg artifacts, so that indicates it is not a copy of the Eve image.  The two axis labels appear to use the same font.  The gap between the blue line and the origin is much smaller in the DF image than in the Eve image.  This indicates that the Eve image is not a copy of the DF image. 

The gif displayed in the post above has much sharper edges than the jpegs, indicating that it is not a descendant of either of these two images.  However, the image size and the dithering on the gif is not seen on the jpegs.  So, there was an earlier version of the DF image that both of these are a copy of. 

http://presentation.drupalgardens.com/book/export/html/101 also is a fairly early version of the file, but it is ever so slightly more blurred than the Eve image.  It is also interesting in that it lacks the background grid.  I would guess that the CMS image is a descendant of the Eve image that went through some fairly major cleanup. 

In short, none of these are the original.  The DF image is not a copy of any of the Eve images I looked at.  The Eve image is not a copy of any of the DF images I looked at.  The DF images would appear to have a more legitimate claim to the throne, but I couldn't find any mention of the DF image until 2 years after the Eve image was seen.  Also, the different font for the labels on the bottom of the DF image indicates, but is not proof of,  a 'shopped image. 

Maybe a more thorough search would be able to find the original, because these aren't it. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]