Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stupid things I did when I first started playing DF  (Read 6190 times)

pbnjoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid things I did when I first started playing DF
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:59:25 pm »

Spent a good hour on my first fort (with ASCII) trying, and failing, to designate a stairway the first z level down. No matter where or what size I did, I just could NOT make it. I regenned worlds, made new forts, went to the wiki repeatedly, trying to find out what I was doing wrong.

Then I realized I was going up z levels, not down. I was trying to dig stairs in the sky.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »

when i started playing dwarf fortress i thought "oh it must be a GOOD idea to embark on Aquifers, FREE WATER!!" and that Abandon fort was the only option to stop playing dwarf fortress ;.;
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »

Sticking a proof-of-concept DWR in my dining hall and not understanding the importance of pump orientation.
Hollowing out massive rooms.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

EpeeGnome

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TLDR:APPALLING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 03:46:23 pm »

I was following the old Mayday tutorial back in 40d. The game impressed me over and over with how it modeled so many things. I though, "Hmm, I wonder if it models fluid flow?" So, I designated a tunnel to mine out the side of the brook and sat back to see how the game handled it.

The water slammed my miner into a wall and then drowned him. It then rushed down the corridor and into my giant open crafting/stockpile room. I tried to build walls to contain it, but it filled the room too fast, and spilled past before they could all be built. It took me 2 more tries, the flooding of all but a few of my stockpiles and workshops and the drowning of two masons to finally contain it.

That was when I fell in love with DF. I spent a long time after (and another miner's life) digging a back-drain and cistern to drain the room (and the still connected brook) into so I could finally wall off the flood corridor . My stockpiles where covered in mud for the rest of the life of that fort. Now I put redundant cut off flood gates connected to levers on the other side of the fort any time I dig near water. I haven't had a problem with flooding since.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 04:43:04 pm »

didn't know that everything can travel diagonal .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »

I thought: Oh, just a goblin, must be the first and easiest enemies coming to a fort. They probably won't even be a match for my unarmed dwarfes.
This. The metal industry scared me, so I went with whatever I could salvage from traders and gobbos. This led to me frantically trying to figure out how to strip a caged goblin. I also assumed 8 or nine cage traps were good enough.

I assumed breaking into the caverns from above would be fine.

I sent un-armed dwarfs after a wild yak. So much trampling and goring ensued. Worst part was they lulled me into security by being friendly, and not attacking until they were enraged.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Pon_Katt

• Bay Watcher
  • GAK!GAK!GAK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 05:06:40 pm »

I had real trouble with getting farming to work.  4 forts later, I had a functioning fort that had some walls, a gate, and a hall of traps.  I was scared of the military, though.  Then a Forest Titan with wings showed up.  I thought, "Oh, my gate and walls will keep him out!  And if somehow makes it over that, my traps will take care of him."  Next thing I knew, it was a blood bath in the dinning hall.
My little voice approves.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 05:37:49 pm »

In a distant past where I was not quite as familiar with the physics of Df as I am today I assumed that the same laws would apply there as they do in reality. This resulted in me being extremly paranoid about my forts simply caving in on themselves, to counter this I fortified all of my tunnels with supports and added large pillars in the bigger rooms...

I leave columns of stone in the big rooms for aesthetic reasons lol. It just feels wrong otherwise.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 05:48:04 pm »

I put all my workshops outside.

My first battle, I had no military, so I just ordered everyone outside en masse.

I embarked in a terrifying biome thinking I'd have enough time to get everyone settled inside.  Harpies proved me wrong.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 06:12:24 pm »

I built my frotress to be 5 levels deep, at max.  Worked really well until I got 20 migrants a wave.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 07:19:57 pm »

I paused the game every time I had dwarves idle and insisted on finding a job for them to do, fearful of time pressure and accumulating wasted dwarf-hours.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 03:26:16 am »

I thought traps would be a waste of time, and I didn't realize military dwarves needed to train. 

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 04:21:50 am »

Some of mine span years, you've all seen the learning curve image (or should have).  You are always starting out in DF.  If anyone doesnt know what im talking about with that pic then pipe up and someone will link it, its part of our heritage :)  I started playing right after the move to 3d.

Also spent an eternity micromanaging my first fort to ensure no idlers.
Had no standing military, took an approach where whoever is idle gets drafted and grabs a weapon.
No mechanics traps, obviously no engineered traps first fort in.

Made excessive assumptions about water physics and flooded 90% of it trying to build a well (unlike most who assume water is more accurately modelled than it is, I assumed water wouldnt ubend, just about the only thing vaguely right with it)

Vertical stair-cored fort, i wasnt totally moronic and could see that was win, but did i wall it in?  nah, goblins sound wussy.

Never found out if they were or not, enragable wildlife in dining room ended us around the time of first dorf caravan.

Later forts I learned all the basic slipups but continued to fail with epic style.  I often had much of a z-level dedicated to animal stockpiles, saving up masses of pet exotics in readiness for my animal training noble. (hes never worked since i started DF, was a year before I found out)

The very first time I found candy I met the clowns, this is true for most people who dont trawl wikis and forums and therefore genuinely didnt know.  I only looked up stuff as it came up.  Well, I sure did my homework after that one, also site of my first spiral...ahh, we all remember the first tantrum spiral.

Once missed the elf and human caravans due to ambushes and distraction by magma workings.  So I hadnt got to steal lots of goodies this year and booze was short (I traded/stole all food/booze for the first 30-odd forts i made, farming looked difficult) so I jumped the dwarves in the autumn.  I drafted the entire fortress pop and had them fall on the depot.  Yeah...

As soon as I hit 100 dwarves I just throw my hands in the air and giveup micromanagement, playing mainly the meta-game of militaries and touching industry only when a line collapses or I need something specific right now.  I still do this and it means hauling is a twisted nightmare, I have no clue how many piles i have or where, if i need booze on a particular spot then i just keep building more and more food stockpiles till someone puts booze not food there, cant be bothered profiling the pile.  I tend to build multiple redundancies in terms of piles and workshops, often nowhere near each other and use many repeat orders.  Reason I still do this is that I have a tendancy to automate my forts fairly quickly through pressureplates revealing marksdwarf batteries behind forts so i can play them with no alert pauses without being at keyboard.  This takes some time to establish so i cant be bothered with the rest till its ready.  I like to sim :)

Refused to ever embark on evil biomes until recently, I thought they were scary and had enough heartache building forts.  Finally summoned up the courage and a patch was almost immediately released making them the badass monstrosities I always feared.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:25:43 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 05:29:55 am »

I bought a breeding pair of cats from a caravan. I ended up with 200 cats running around.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 07:15:05 am »

I thought: Oh, just a goblin, must be the first and easiest enemies coming to a fort. They probably won't even be a match for my unarmed dwarfes.
I was too busy being mauled to death by giant badgers to notice the ambush slaughter everyone :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3