Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43

Author Topic: LP Civ4:C2C (6050 BC - Slightly delayed)  (Read 144954 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LP Civ4:C2C (12254 BC - Jumbo-Sized Update)
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2012, 06:30:27 pm »

I vote for what I think is spot 3? I don't know what the colors being referenced refer to

I'm proposing two possible ways to settle the north-west.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's easy to see how you'd miss it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 07, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »

Definitely the upper right teal, at least for the first one. Crabapples! I think it gives us more special resources we don't already have at least one of, anyway, which is probably good? I... I've never actually gotten around to figuring out if they stack. I think they do, but...

Anyway. Five shinies as opposed to four or three. Obvious choice is obvious, especially when the two "three" options don't allow for crab jokes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2012, 07:09:34 pm »

I definitely support north-most teal for the first new city here, up by the river.  West-most violet for the second area, riverside hills are always the best places to put cities.

I for one don't think it's so weird that it took three goddamn millennia to fight a war with the Celts.  Sure, it's fun to picture some Neanderthal islanders having a conversation like, "We have always been at war with the Celts. Who are the Celts? The ones we have always been at war with."  But I think of it like the earliest records of 'warfare' which really more like violent migrations.  In the earliest known histories of places like Egypt and Babylon (themselves still worlds more advanced than us), their early historical records don't even have names for who they were fighting and conquered by.  Like the "Sea Peoples" and such, which is probably what the native Celts call us.

More importantly, I am baffled that we're not the most powerful civilization in the world right now, given that we have two cities to probably everyone else's one.  I hate Civilization difficulty.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2012, 07:21:56 pm »

It didn't take the Aztecs three millennia to conquer people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2012, 07:25:54 pm »

I definitely support north-most teal for the first new city here, up by the river.  West-most violet for the second area, riverside hills are always the best places to put cities.
Yes, this seems like a pretty good idea to me. Both cities should be near rivers and have good access to resources, and the culture borders should expand to cover the gaps between them.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2012, 07:30:17 pm »

Ah ok I vote Teal then
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2012, 08:34:33 pm »

I like the middle or top location, but how would trade routes work if we settled in the top one? If we settle in the middle or bottom location we get free trade routes because of raft building, but if we settle in the top we can't link that city to our trade network with a REALLY long road. I don't really remember how important that is, though.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »

Eh? All the ones that Pnx quoted (I can't see the ones in the main update due to shitpad not loading about three fourths of the screenshots) have water access, don't they? Diagonals.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2012, 01:43:45 am »

I like the middle or top location, but how would trade routes work if we settled in the top one? If we settle in the middle or bottom location we get free trade routes because of raft building, but if we settle in the top we can't link that city to our trade network with a REALLY long road. I don't really remember how important that is, though.
There's a river leading to the sea. Rivers are natural roads

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2012, 02:25:30 am »

I am just gonna trust Aqizzar's suggestion here, as I think we both wish the same thing.
If a city has a diagonal access to the sea, does that still count? Can it still build ships and take benefits from having access to sea?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 08, 2012, 03:07:40 am »

I am just gonna trust Aqizzar's suggestion here, as I think we both wish the same thing.
If a city has a diagonal access to the sea, does that still count? Can it still build ships and take benefits from having access to sea?

Yep. Diagonal access is fine, or at least in vanilla civ 4 it is.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2012, 03:19:17 am »

I can confirm that it also works in the mod.

Besides, If we have problems with rebellions, we can always try to bribe. One thing I notice about this mod is that you get much more money. At least I do.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2012, 08:28:01 am »

Resources stack? Really? I've always been trading off anything beyond the first. Or at least trying to... usually ends up in world war anyways... all vs. me. :(

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2012, 09:32:15 am »

Alright, time for another update. A smaller one this time.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:48 am »

Ah ok, for some reason I didn't think diagonals worked. I vote for apples!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 43