Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS THING!?  (Read 14989 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS THING!?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 03:27:07 pm »

Top view, next to a quarter for size.
Bottom view.
Sorry about the low picture quality and lighting.

You either have very large coins, or that bug isn't large at all.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »

Cicadas are completely harmless; hell, ANTS are MORE DANGEROUS than cicadas!

Harmlessness doesn't matter.  It flies, its big and looks scary.  That is enough for me.  I can imagine it flying into my face and getting bug-parasite germs all over my eyes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They are really loud fliers. Sometimes it startles me when a cicada (Rarely) is close by and tries to fly away.

Also, for you people with the phobias.

and for the majority of a cicada's life, it is this:

Finally a documentary thing.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:31:55 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 03:33:07 pm »

To agree with everyone else, yup that's a cicada. You should be down here when there's a brood hatch and you get a couple million of them per square mile. For about a week. Then they all die and the ground is covered in crunchy, squishy dead bugs. At least until the local dogs and cats and birds (and sometimes people) devour them. In the meantime, you get a daily serenade that is rather unlike any other noise you will ever hear. Take your average summer cicada, and plug it into AC/DC's sound system, then crank the amp to 11.  :D

I have fond childhood memories of walking around in the twilight to 80-decibel drones.

I was rather disappointed that Brood XIX was kind of a bust around here. I want my kids to experience the kind of "HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT ALIEN NOISE" that I had. Hopefully next year will get a good hatch out of Brood II.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 03:48:05 pm »

Oh yes I remember when they last came out around my home, everybody dropped what they were doing and started talking about them at school.
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15:23 pm »

Wow, scared of of a bug that is (I'm pretty sure) INCAPABLE of eating and with an IQ less than that of zero. The bug that leaves those creepy molts () around and makes the summer noise in the Americas we all know and love.

Looks like a potatoe bug... or something, that's the closest I remember to what we called them. I found the shells of a bunch of these things attached to our tree a year back. It was creepy, but that cacada, just, takes the cake, and probably could if it wanted.

EDIT: Damnit that's like the third time I've posted after forgetting there was more than one page already.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 06:27:33 pm »

Cicadas might be a bit scary, but the worst thing is stepping on them. I was in the middle of a marching band night practice when unbeknownst to me there was an easily 6 inch long cicada lurking in the grass. Cue a horrible crunching noise and a massive amount of bug goo all over might shoes. *Shudder* Ugh.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 06:28:05 pm »

Yeah, cicadas are really dumb and slow. I think I karate kicked one out of the air one time.

However, they are reaaally freaky sometimes. You'll be walking around and someone points out that a cicada has attached to your back. Damn things'll stick too.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:15 pm »

Yeah, cicadas are really dumb and slow. I think I karate kicked one out of the air one time.

However, they are reaaally freaky sometimes. You'll be walking around and someone points out that a cicada has attached to your back. Damn things'll stick too.

Of course they stick, they only get one chance to love every decade or so.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 08:30:45 pm »

To agree with everyone else, yup that's a cicada. You should be down here when there's a brood hatch and you get a couple million of them per square mile. For about a week. Then they all die and the ground is covered in crunchy, squishy dead bugs. At least until the local dogs and cats and birds (and sometimes people) devour them. In the meantime, you get a daily serenade that is rather unlike any other noise you will ever hear. Take your average summer cicada, and plug it into AC/DC's sound system, then crank the amp to 11.  :D

I have fond childhood memories of walking around in the twilight to 80-decibel drones.

I was rather disappointed that Brood XIX was kind of a bust around here. I want my kids to experience the kind of "HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT ALIEN NOISE" that I had. Hopefully next year will get a good hatch out of Brood II.

I remember when Brood X hit. My sandbox was full of cicada skins. It was terrible, I had no idea what they were and thought the skins were bugs waiting to jump on me and bite or something.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 08:49:13 pm »

I had the ill fortune to be in the suburbs of Chicago when Brood XIII hit. The ground was carpeted in the things and you could barely hear yourself think. It was awful.
[/post]

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 08:56:15 pm »

I had the ill fortune to be in the suburbs of Chicago when Brood XIII hit. The ground was carpeted in the things and you could barely hear yourself think. It was awful.

Get the lawn mower. Don't mulch, the attachment that makes it shoot out the side is mandatory.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 08:58:23 pm »

Lopoks cute, I'd catch it with a pokeball if I were you.  :P

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 09:06:28 pm »

I don't recall any cicadas, actually. The area west of Saint Louis had an emergence last year, but I don't actually remember any here...

Anyway, spiders and such don't really bother me much. But, centipedes. Goddamn centipedes. I hate them with all my heart. Not the little ones you find in your basement, the other kinds.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 09:06:39 pm »

I've always thought cicadas were rather pretty insects. Something about the shape and the wings.

Then again, you rarely see them around here and I've never had to good fortune to encounter a mass emergance.  Maybe if I'd had more bad experiences with them I wouldn't like them so much.

Did you know there's no less than 5 Pokémon based on cicadas? Nincada is a cicada nymph, Ninjask is an adult cicada, Shedinja is the empty shed exoskeleton (haunted no less), and Paras and Parasect are cicada nymphs infected with Cordyceps fungus.

Japan has just the right amount of fascination with awesome bugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 09:21:25 pm »

I've seen plenty of cicadas here in Australia. I don't find them scary, but I still dislike them.
While I don't live in a rural area these days, a while ago I was doing volunteer work out in the bush.
You know the worst thing about cicadas? THE F***ING NOISE. URGH. CONSTANT. MONOTONOUS. NOISE.

If there is a hell it is filled with the sound of cicadas. Or was that crickets...? I dunno, they're both annoying. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7