Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS THING!?  (Read 15022 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: OH MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS THING!?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 02:38:39 pm »

Huh... must be desensitized, or something. Things that look like cicadas are inherently harmless to me.

Though I'm pretty sure they occasionally do some horrific things to local ecologies, or something... iirc. Cicada swarms are supposed to be a bit of a threat for certain... plant species? I think? Under certain conditions. Still, as direct harm goes, they're not a threat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 02:39:10 pm »

It's just a cicada, the thing that makes the buzzing noise in the evenings.

Heck, their molts are interesting to play with if you have a hyper-active, brutal imagination. (Bug mech tank thingy!....Pretend I didn't say that.)
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 02:40:42 pm »

I'm glad I live in Canada.  None of the bugs I've seen here are even remotely as terrifying as that.

Well we do have those poisonous squirrels to contend with.

True enough.  They like to toss pinecones at my head too the jerks.

It honestly looks like its going to inject horrible bug eggs into that guys arm, if it decides not to just suck out all of his blood.  Bugs shouldn't be allowed to be that big.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:43:01 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:00 pm »

Man, the larger spider species must send you screaming for the hills. There's several insect (and a few arachnid, I think) species that get bigger than that :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:15 pm »

Top view, next to a quarter for size.
Bottom view.
Sorry about the low picture quality and lighting.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 02:46:04 pm »

It honestly looks like its going to inject horrible bug eggs into that guys arm, if it decides not to just suck out all of his blood.  Bugs shouldn't be allowed to be that big.
I personally find them intresting. Did you know they have five eyes? 2 main and 3 small ones on their 'forehead'.

Also, that is a cicada, the most harmless insect out there.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 02:51:45 pm »

Yep, looks like a cicada to me. I don't understand why people are scared of them. Of course, that was probably helped by the fact that I live in an area that gets hit by the 17-year (or whatever it is) cycle ones; the last cycle had easily hundreds of thousands of them in my area of the city alone. They basically carpeted every outside surface and created a constant noise that sounded something like a spacecraft in a film hovering a few meters overhead. They also taste decent, and my dog loved them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »

That's how they survive; Make so many that they cannot all be eaten, even if EVERYTHING eats them. The sole purpose of the winged stage of life is to have buggy love and make baby cicadas. Other than that they're a mainly subterranean insect.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:56 pm »

Where's an orbital magma cannon when you need one?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 03:01:57 pm »

Huh... must be desensitized, or something. Things that look like cicadas are inherently harmless to me.
Yeah, I might not let one land on my wrist, but cicadas aren't threatening.

The thing you are afraid of is definitely a cicada. Quit being a baby.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 03:02:34 pm »

But the magma would turn to rock before it hit the surface; a large pillar of rock. Nukes are better from orbital.

Anyway, they lay eggs in tree branches and, like I said earlier, I am fairly confident they are incapable of eating. Even better they only live for a few weeks in the winged stage, as the majority of their short life is spent underground.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:06:38 pm by Mageziya »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 03:07:12 pm »

Come to think of it, the tree in the front yard has had a lot of weird bumps on it for years. I had assumed it was some sort of disease. I really hope it doesn't explode into a cicada storm.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 03:09:40 pm »

Cicadas are completely harmless; hell, ANTS are MORE DANGEROUS than cicadas!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:13:05 pm by Mageziya »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:46 pm »

Cicadas are completely harmless; hell, ANTS are MORE DANGEROUS than cicadas!

Harmlessness doesn't matter.  It flies, its big and looks scary.  That is enough for me.  I can imagine it flying into my face and getting bug-parasite germs all over my eyes.  Or just eating my eyes, whatever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:25:45 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 03:26:14 pm »

For those who are saying we shouldn't be afraid of bugs: Where you see a bug, we see a demonic, otherworldly horror whose goal in life is to make you squirm. You can play with it, but we know that bugs are evil and are trying to kill you every step of the way. Bugs are terrifying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7