Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 41 - Delays and Some Gameplay Overhaul  (Read 42804 times)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 37, Fine Reading Material
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2012, 10:03:59 am »

Also I shudder to think on what would happen if the crow got killed while Irony was flying on it. Infact..

Of all of the birds in the sky..
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 38
« Reply #256 on: August 14, 2012, 02:11:37 pm »

Turn 38

See if there are any available missions.

|  You go up to the guild mission clerk, and ask for a mission. 

"We have been given a contract for a mage to come and help out at the three sect field.  From all three countries.  We don't particularly want to offend any of the countries, but we can only afford to send one mage, so we have to send someone low ranking.  You fit the bill perfectly.  We give you the choice of which country you wish to help fight their war, Tantalan, Valtreus or Idelius.  You do have right of refusal for this mission, but don't be alarmed by it being a war.  You only have to stay for a month, and I doubt they'll put a low ranking mage on the battlefield.  You'll be fine, and this is a rather high paying mission."

"Hey, this says even you have a soul capable of being strengthened, Ricky!  I guess the best way seems to be through conflict.  How inconvenient."

Get a new mission.

((I would like to thank you for having the patience to type all that out again after you lost it.  It is much appreciated.))

| There are no available missions at the moment.  Bummer.

So with the spells, it'd just be a "Learn SPELLNAME from book" to learn it?  Noted.

Read chapter four!

This chapter has a decent bit of knowledge that you had not known before.  There are no spells in this section, however.

"Arcane Magic can be used for more than simply attack and defense.  For example, some rather powerful mages have created small platforms of arcane energy that they have used to fly.  Others have created arcane constructs to help them it whatever way they can.  Quite simply, arcane energy is extremely flexible.  Although it may not have as much raw power as other magic types, it can outshine them by simple pragmatism. 

It would be a waste of time to list out all the potential noncombat uses of arcane energy.  There are far too many, and so many variations on each one.  What can be done, however, is to show the general steps, guidelines and properties of arcane magic, so the crafty arcanist may come up with his or her own esoteric uses.

First are the properties of arcane magic.  Arcane magic, as with all magic, is created by converting bodily energy into magical energy, using a process commonly called Conversion.  How Conversion is handled is still a mystery, but almost all people have the innate ability to Convert.  Usually, the mage will then convert the base magic into something else, such as fire.  This is where arcane energy differs from all other magics.  It does not go through the extra conversion process.  Arcane energy is not simply a synonym for magical energy, however.  Arcane energy is refined through the intricate process of Arcanation.  This makes the energy more potent, easier to control, and actually visible.

A smart reader would have now realized the first property of arcane magic.  It can be easily shaped, converted and otherwise changed into something else.  Have a wall of arcane energy?  With enough practice, you can set it ablaze!  A drab, slow arcane bolt got you down?  Convert part of it into Volo Plagiarius and watch it go faster than the eye can see.  In a better example, whilst a fire mage would have to have two different spells for certain effects, such as a sword of fire and a whip of fire spell, any decent arcane mage could simply change the sword into whip, and then back again with little to no effort.  Once again, while it may not be as potent, it's versatility is it's greatest power.

The second property is a contradiction.  It is both transparent and opaque.  Taking a look at arcane energy, anyone could see that it appears to just be some blue glitter.  However, if examined more closely, it is noticed that arcane energy also has a strange, hazy outline, barely noticeable to the human eye.  There is arcane energy all within that hazy outline, and when touched (Note: Do  Not Touch Arcane Energy) the invisible energy feels no different than the glitter.  This property is a little difficult for the prospective inventor to find anything useful for, but there have been reports of people using this property to create a spell of invisibility that is see through on the inside!

The third property is that when left alone and unrefined, arcane energy is extremely caustic.  Arcane energy can even burn through metal faster than the strongest of acids.  And this is only with the power of a journeyman mage.  "Hold up!" The reader may say.  "If it is extremely caustic, how can it be safe to transport people, and create no backlash on walls?" Most wall and transportation spells use refinement to get rid of the caustic property.  Why would they get rid of it in walls?  Because once a wall is created, it becomes an object with mass, and would simply burn through wherever it has been placed.  There are some antigravitational walls, and most are caustic, but all of them are fairly weak.  It is unknown why this is such, and this is just speculation, but it may be because it cannot have enough thickness without creating mass.

The fourth and final property of arcane energy is that whatever amount of force is put into arcane energy, it releases at the very least double that amount.  Basically, it completely breaks the laws of physics, shattering Jon Bill's third law that "Every action must have an equal and opposite reaction".  Arcane energy does not have an equal reaction to the amount of energy put in.  It is completely and utterly unknown why this is so, and there are many theories out there.  There is not a single one that is "generally accepted", so a theory shall not be named.  This property is mostly useful for combat spells, but the clever spellcaster could come up with something....

Now, onto the guidelines for creating esoteric magic.  This is actually just a set of rules for creating any type of arcane magic, but with the proper mindset, esoteric magic can be created following these guidelines as well.

First off, what do you want your spell to do?  Basically, make a rough draft of some type of spell, and using these guidelines, it should be possible to do.

Second, what properties of the above will your spell have?  Will it be caustic, force multiplying?  Will you make it fully opaque or fully transparent?  These questions must be answered before you move  on.

The third guideline basically the usage of the first property.  What will it's shape be?  Will some of it be converted into another type of magical energy?  Important questions, because simply willing a spell to be made simply doesn't work.

Fourth is actual spell creation.  First, create some arcane energy.  Then manipulate the last three properties, one at a time, into your specified way.  This should be a rather trivial task, simply will it.  You may not see much of a change, if you didn't change the second property, but more likely than not, it has worked.  Try practicing changing the second property if you want confirmation.  After all of that, comes the changing of the first property.  First, you must change it's shape until whatever you wanted it to be.  Then, you must decide it's mass.  The general rule of thumb is that the higher the mass, the slower, but more powerful.  Then you must decide if you wish to convert some of the arcane energy into other magical energy.  Do not worry about being proficient in those arts, it doesn't matter. 

After all that, your spell should be complete!  Practice the steps, going faster and faster, until you reach a decent creation speed.  After that, you will have your own spell, ready for use!"

Find Ochita. Try to convince him to spend the day walking to the closer town, since this one doesn't seem to get attacked often enough to make waiting worth it. If he agrees, venture forth.
Agree with Nirur, on the way keep my eyes peeled for anything that may encounter us.

You head out along the road and | you reach your destination without incident.  The town you arrive at seems to be a bit better off than the other town, in terms of dragons attacks, but it may only seem that way, since this town is far greater in size.

"I just hope I did something right..."

Kira scanned the surroundings - nothing but dirt, grass and the natural smell of fresh country air. Perhaps Djork wanted her to take a scenic quest instead of the grueling deathtraps seen in the dungeons?

Proceed up yonder road. Take my Bearings to ascertain my direction!

| You are heading northwest.

You arrive at a crossroad.  The path to the left heads directly west, while the path to the right heads directly north.  Which way?

Fly near destination on giant crow, then walk the rest of the way to the bandit camp, hoping not to be obviously seen in the sky.

| You fly around and manage to ascertain the position of the bandit camp without being spotted.  You then land a good four hundred feet from the camp.  You walk the rest of the way to the camp, your crow in tow.

| You sneak up on the camp, and as far as you can see, they are all asleep!

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic Known (click to show/hide)

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.   In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  She's somewhere, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Excavator of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside the Archaeological Guild.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Zofus "Zerg" Berg (FuzzyZergling)

Male Human.  From the College Sursum Propinquus quod Alio.  In the Mage's Guild.  Also inside the Mage's guild.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:15:33 pm by Baradine »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2012, 03:59:21 pm »

Did the chapter 2 spells ever get finished?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »

Zerus had to cover his mouth to keep from laughing. This was faaaaaar too easy.

Hop onto giant crow. Have giant crow caw loudly right next to them. When bandits wake up, presumably very, very startled, suggest that they clear out and find a new job. This one is dangerous, after all.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 14, 2012, 04:19:51 pm »

Did the chapter 2 spells ever get finished?

They'll be done in a bit.  I would recommend reading the whole book first, before you learn any spells.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »

Accept the contract from Valtreus; ask if I have to get to Three Sect Field myself or if I'll have transportation from the Guild.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »

Look for someone official-looking to ask for information about the dragon from.

Morelli

• Bay Watcher
  • Even numbers keep me sane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »

"No missions, huh."

Ask around the guild to see if there are any experienced demon summoners.  Perhaps there is someone around here who can show me the ropes.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2012, 08:32:50 pm »

If I'm reading this whole business, I might as well Read Chapter One and Three.

If I've only got 15 (less now) turns before I must mission, I doubt this whole thing's getting read in one go.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:16:40 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2012, 08:42:43 pm »

Northwest...northwest...

Where am I in relation to the City of Darius?!

Take a coin out, flip it, and if heads: go north. If tails: go west.

If the coin lands on it's side and stays that way, practice divination and speak to the coin.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 14, 2012, 09:47:56 pm »

If I'm reading this whole business, I might as well Read Chapter One.

If I've only got 15 (less now) turns before I must mission, I doubt this whole thing's getting read in one go.

Well, you have twelve turns left, and there's only eight chapters left.  So you as a matter of fact can read this all in time.  Also, I've decided that one chapter per turn kind of sucks.  You can either read two chapters, or do a chapter and some type of action.  Anyone can do this, so Tiruin could read her book than do her action as well.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 14, 2012, 09:53:59 pm »

Ask people about the dragon, use mage guild membership to get answers.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2012, 10:18:06 pm »

Two per turn seems fair.  I can knock it out that way, and not feel bad about skipping to the good stuff.

Action edited to 1 and 3.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 39, Two Sides of the Same Coin
« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2012, 07:47:41 pm »

Turn 39

Zerus had to cover his mouth to keep from laughing. This was faaaaaar too easy.

Hop onto giant crow. Have giant crow caw loudly right next to them. When bandits wake up, presumably very, very startled, suggest that they clear out and find a new job. This one is dangerous, after all.

|  You jump on your crow, and you ride down into the bandit camp, like a god of war... well sort of.  When you get there, however, you notice that there are only two bandits, and each of them is at least fifty and pointing at you and screaming.  Both fall down to the ground clutching their hearts.

Huh.  Looks like you killed the bandit's via heart attack.  Way to go!

Accept the contract from Valtreus; ask if I have to get to Three Sect Field myself or if I'll have transportation from the Guild.

"No.  You'll be teleported there.  You have a few days before you have to leave, so spend your time wisely" (You have... four turns to do whatever).

Look for someone official-looking to ask for information about the dragon from.
Ask people about the dragon, use mage guild membership to get answers.

| The most official thing you can find is your guild badge, and even that almost looks fake.

| Everyone seems to be at their houses, or something.  Hmm... why do you hear wingbeats?

"No missions, huh."

Ask around the guild to see if there are any experienced demon summoners.  Perhaps there is someone around here who can show me the ropes.

|  You don't find any experienced demon summoners.  You do find one that knows a little more about it than you do, however.

"Another demon summoner!?  Wowee!  I am so gosh darn excited!  I didn't think there was another in this guild, but golly, you seem to have answered my hopes and dreams!  You want some tips for strengthening your demons, huh?  Well, in general, the best way to go about that is just have them go into a good old fashioned tussle!  But for the really weak demons, well, when you summon them, you gotta put a lot of magic power into the spell.  That way, they'll absorb that power into their soul, making them super duper strong!  After a while, they become strong enough to actually fight!"

((To simplify things, to make Ricky stronger, start by overmastering the spell until he is capable of doing combat.  At which point, I actually make a separate character sheet for him, and he can become stronger through battle.  You can still overmaster the spell even when he is capable of combat, however, to make him even stronger.))

If I'm reading this whole business, I might as well Read Chapter One and Three.

You read the chapters, and they don't teach you anything new, but they do have a bunch of intersting spells

((I'll upload the full spell list, by chapter, once you finished the book, to make thing easier.))

Northwest...northwest...

Where am I in relation to the City of Darius?!

Take a coin out, flip it, and if heads: go north. If tails: go west.

If the coin lands on it's side and stays that way, practice divination and speak to the coin.

| You flip the coin and... it's heads!  You decide to flip the coin again, and it's heads again!  You keep on flipping the coin, and it keeps on coming up heads.

You find this a little strange, so you take a look at your coin.  You palm your face, as both sides of the coin are exactly the same.

Characters

Nirathi (Nirur Torir)

Female Yarian.  From the Enchantment College.  In the Mage's guild.  In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Ochita

Male Yarian.  From the Animus College.  In the Mage's guild.   In a town located somewhere in Ggryymirr.

Kira Talneris (Tiruin)

Female Elf.  From the College of the Battle Mage.  Whelp of the Fighters Guild.  She's somewhere, that's for sure.

Spoiler: Spells Known (click to show/hide)

Zerus Halfmoon (IronyOwl)

Male Human.  Went to the Animus University.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Thrakor (Toaster)

Male Elf.  From the Animus University. Excavator of the Archaeological Guild. Right in the heart of Tantalan, inside the Archaeological Guild.

Leo Morelli (Morelli)

A Male Human.  From the Summoning College.  Bus Boy of the Archaeological Guild.  Inside the Archaeological Guild.

Zofus "Zerg" Berg (FuzzyZergling)

Male Human.  From the College Sursum Propinquus quod Alio.  In the Mage's Guild.  Also inside the Mage's guild.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mage 2.0 - Turn 39, Two Sides of the Same Coin
« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2012, 07:52:17 pm »

Zerus frowned a little. Erm, that was a little excessive.

Well, nothing to be done about it now.

Search bandits and camp for loot. Attempt to use Voice Magic to sing a beautiful dirge.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21