Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 850491 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9600 on: July 08, 2024, 07:46:36 am »

In the event of an emergency or somesuch, it's possible to wipe your own posts/profile. However, *quotes* of your posts that were included in comments from other users cannot be so easily accessed, meaning that the trail remains and liability can be argued if, for example, someone decides to try and take your words as official legal advice etc.
Proof: Me

Which led to some hilarity when getting my old account deleted broke the forums for a year or two. I don't think any of us expected that one.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9601 on: July 08, 2024, 12:13:50 pm »

In the event of an emergency or somesuch, it's possible to wipe your own posts/profile. However, *quotes* of your posts that were included in comments from other users cannot be so easily accessed, meaning that the trail remains and liability can be argued if, for example, someone decides to try and take your words as official legal advice etc.

Which led to some hilarity when getting my old account deleted broke the forums for a year or two. I don't think any of us expected that one.

Okay, why did you self-destruct and why did it apparently almost took down the forum with it? I need context.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: July 08, 2024, 02:37:44 pm »

Ahh, the great disorder. They were hard times.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: July 08, 2024, 10:08:25 pm »

They know how dangerous lawyers are.

If youre dead, you dont have to defend yourself in court. Easy peasy.
You've clearly never heard of Estate Attorneys...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: July 09, 2024, 01:58:51 am »

Lawyers, the ultimate evil.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: July 09, 2024, 07:07:59 am »

Okay, why did you self-destruct and why did it apparently almost took down the forum with it? I need context.
Wanted to wipe the slate clean, as it were. There was more than a wee bit of stuff from my teenage years on here.

And the forums lived, it was just that for a while any links would send you to the wrong page on the forums.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: July 10, 2024, 07:12:14 pm »

What is absolute vacuum like on exposed skin? I'm assuming the person's not at risk of having their lungs explode. Let's say their leg's shoved into some machine that evacates all the air up to their thigh. What effects would that have on the leg?

Given the differential's only 1 atmosphere, I can't imagine there's going to be masses of damage. On the other hand, I feel that the body's likely to deal with compression better than expansion.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: July 10, 2024, 07:18:21 pm »

Hope you like all the fluids coming out of the exposed skin.

1atm is a large pressure: standard air pressure can hold up a column of water roughly 10 meters high.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: July 10, 2024, 07:23:34 pm »

Once we were playing some variant of yatzhee or something like that and everybody had their own goblet to shake and hide the dice, because that was part of the game. And I put it firmly on my mouth/chin and startet sucking, really hard. I had a really red chin for 2 weeks or so.
let

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: July 10, 2024, 08:10:35 pm »

Hope you like all the fluids coming out of the exposed skin.

1atm is a large pressure: standard air pressure can hold up a column of water roughly 10 meters high.
And yet, 10m underwater puts you under 2 atmospheres of pressure. People regularly deal with that and more to minimal effect.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: July 10, 2024, 08:51:27 pm »

Sure but that's compression.  The direction is very significant. As the gaming suction incident above and hickeys demonstrate, it's easy to exsanguinate by reducing external pressure.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: July 11, 2024, 05:04:22 am »

At Mount Everest, the atmosphere would hold only 3m of water, and the effects on the exposed body surfaces are negligible. One of the guys who jumped from stratospheric balloons had a malfunctioning pressure suit, and his hand was exposed to ~1% of standard atmospheric pressure. There was swelling, loss of circulation, and pain. That's it. I don't see how getting that 1% lower would cause fluids to leave through the skin.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: July 11, 2024, 07:36:46 am »

Yeah, I had a more thorough look and it appears that what happens is the water in the body decompresses, swelling pretty much everything. Nothing leaks (Presumably unless you've got a break in the skin) but you're at risk of mild bruising and, longer term, necrosis due to compromised bloodflow. Theoretically if you were wet you could also freeze due to sudden, massive evaporative cooling thanks to the water near instantly turning to vapour.

So in all, assuming you had some sort of sealed helmet and didn't mind being given the world's worst sunburn, you could survive in space for a while without a suit.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: July 11, 2024, 08:48:56 am »

Eh ok, looks like I was exaggerating quite a bit.  I think you would indeed get a lot of tissue damage with exposure to vacuum, not as dramatic as I was thinking.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: July 11, 2024, 02:30:51 pm »

Or sealed goggles and air mask, if you want to go REALLY minimal? :p
In sci-fi terms, those plus a bodysuit which applies even pressure to your body is probably the most minimal space suit. Only need as much air as you're piping into the mask.
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 647