Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639]

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 695079 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9570 on: June 25, 2024, 07:21:08 pm »

It might be, dig deep enough and you're going to stop running into "X happens because of Y which happens because of Z" and start hitting "X because that's what the laws of the universe *are*". Could be the product of some mathematical pseudo-random chaotic system, but it could literally be that it's random because the universe is just built that way.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: June 27, 2024, 11:03:09 am »

A sufficiently complex system with enough variables cannot readily be distinguished from randomness at a glance.

As exemplified by the off-hit playable demo for Half Sword. ...at least according to the sweats on the Steam forum swearing up and down that all the flailing is skill-based.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: June 27, 2024, 11:54:56 am »

How do you learn to sketch? I'm gonna ramble through the library and nose around online a little, but it's nice to ask local talent first for specific recommendations.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: June 27, 2024, 12:05:10 pm »

Practice, practice, practice.

Basically: look at what you want to sketch, and keep practicing sketching until you get the fidelity you desire.

I think reading tutorials or whatever would only give you techniques and tips like when you want a fine-edge stylus versus a wedge versus a brush, or when to use side-shading, stuff like that.  That's just information though - no substitute for experience!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: June 27, 2024, 12:15:16 pm »

I've heard the tip before about trying to draw things upside-down, so as to work your brain into drawing the shapes of a given thing, rather than the essence of it.

So, instead of trying to copy a picture onto paper, you first turn the picture upside-down, then copy that. This adds a layer of abstraction that stops the brain from trying to think "that's a person" and following up with "I'll draw a person". What you want is to draw the shapes and lines that make up an image of a person, not whatever your brain thinks "a person" is.

Note that I haven't applied this at all and am in fact awful at sketching, so a few lumps of salt are recommended as a side.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: June 27, 2024, 12:16:03 pm »

Drawfee says practice practice practice. They also offer lots of videos showing how they go through specific processes and answering patrons' questions. https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDUoOYLKP1C7dsrXdvVDI8aVJfZbuMqqg

I learned the basics of sketching in high school but never really practiced much. Never did human figures at all as a matter of fact. So I can't help much more than that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: June 27, 2024, 01:00:34 pm »

Techniques and tips and the like are what I'm after, since the most recent thing i've drawn would be some sludge in Gartic Phone six months ago and beyond that, I don't put a pencil to paper but to draw lines in the shapes of letters. Practice will be good, but starting (and knowing where) will be better, yes?
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639]