Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 649

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 895864 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #3885 on: July 15, 2017, 03:34:10 pm »

What do proper tomatoes actually taste like?

I mean a taste based seed and grown to proper ripeness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: July 15, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »

That's an odd question, and I wish I could tell you.  My father has several cherry-tomato plants, and they're pretty amazing.
They're mostly like the store-bought kind I guess, but maybe slightly tangy?  And just... more *taste*, such that you can savor each one instead of a couple at once.
I don't know much about taste, though.  It's possible they just taste better warm from the sun, instead of chilled.

He grows normal tomatoes, too, and they're a similar deal.  Considerably smaller than what the store sells, yet definitely have more taste.  It's like the store tomatoes are inflated with water, heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: July 15, 2017, 05:32:19 pm »

Like tomatoes
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: July 15, 2017, 06:03:10 pm »

fukin delicious

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: July 15, 2017, 08:46:27 pm »

(Activating Produce Guy Mode)
Real, good tomatoes should be not red for one. Yellow varietals have the most flavor to me. They should be a sweet, acidic/tangy, very slightly umami flavor, in that order. Red tomatoes are generally salty, with minor acidic flavor and no sweetness. They grow red tomatoes to sell well, not taste good.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: July 16, 2017, 02:59:21 am »

Pretty sure there's no such thing as a "proper" vegetable taste. It depends on what cultivar you refer to, and in extension which culture because cultivars tend to be based on that culture's taste. Different cultivars of the same type can taste wildly different, for example watermelons.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: July 16, 2017, 03:18:18 pm »

WHOOP! Looks like I answered my own question on whether the new Ghostbuster advertised gender politics...

The answer was OOHHH yeah, they were not even subtle and they weren't even non-antagonistic. So yeah, people were not delusional.

So yeah they kind of dug their own graves there. It wasn't people inventing controversy... Shame.

Though I guess they could have been trying to do what the Passion of the Christ did, which was invite controversy to encourage viewing. Double bonus because the new Ghost Busters movie itself didn't have any of the politics.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:42:18 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: July 16, 2017, 03:55:36 pm »

I mean, recreating the first movie but genderswapped wasn't meant to be a safe neutral cash-in, no.  I actually bought a physical copy but haven't gotten around to watching it, since my friends were pretty unanimous that it wasn't entertaining.  I still like the idea though.  Since they're going to keep making shitty remakes, they might as well add zany twists.

Though it did fail at the box office apparently, despite everyone talking about it...  Not sure how that happened.  Maybe there is such a thing as bad press after all?  (glances at White House)

Keeping in mind the "controversy" was highest before anyone actually saw the movie, heh.  Maybe that's why people didn't bother to see it, the movie itself was basically irrelevant.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: July 16, 2017, 03:58:03 pm »

I originally asked the question to see if it was controversy conjured by the public PURELY because the movie gender swapped the leads.

OR if something ANYTHING in the movie or in its marketing attracted attention to the fact.

What I found after research was that while the movie itself doesn't really have any feminist (or anti-feminist) overtones...

HOLY COW! Did the director pull some crazy crud before the movie was even in theaters and directly antagonized people who didn't like the trailers.

My hope when I originally asked the question was that: No, it is completely the public's bias that created the controversy and nothing the movie, the people involved, or the PR spurned this on. Unfortunately my hopes were dashed and dashed hard.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: July 16, 2017, 05:44:11 pm »

So basically: Genderswap your remakes if you wish, but argue intensely about it at your PR's peril?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: July 16, 2017, 05:55:04 pm »

Do it, but make it impossible to tell from the trailers and don't tell anyone until it's out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: July 16, 2017, 06:33:53 pm »

Rule Zero: You can get away with anything if it's interesting. NuGhostbusters is a bad movie outside the gender politic, it's just that the director's implementation of gender politic was an identifiable warning sign.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: July 16, 2017, 06:42:33 pm »

Having seen the movie, I don't know why people keep saying it's bad. Didn't blow my mind or anything, but it was pretty alright.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: July 16, 2017, 06:43:15 pm »

You'd certainly have my support for 63ing all sorts of stuff. You gotta' be thorough if you're doing movies, though. Not just main characters. Everyone. Even the supporting staff. If you're basing it off an old movie you go back to that old movie, check the gender ratio of the extras, and invert it. You check and flip the friggin' birds in the background, to the extent possible. If you're localizing it in a language with gendered word junk, you flip all of that, too, and to hell with how incomprehensible it becomes.

Rule 63 that sucker to the hilt, and then get a rotary saw and get that hilt past the legal limitations of impalement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: July 16, 2017, 07:45:50 pm »

You jest, but I loved the "mirror" phase Nintendo games went through.  Metroid Prime 2, Twilight Princess...
Not saying that Rule 63 is a "dark", heh, much less a bad.  I just really like stories about any sort of symmetry.  Another good example is stories which take the "bad" side and humanize them.

I really would like to see more genderswapped remakes, in particular, just as an exploration of expectations.  Too bad it's too "interesting", in the risky way, to get another AAA attempt for a decade or two.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 649