Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 869416 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2970 on: November 17, 2016, 03:52:11 pm »

Five's a pain in the ass to make symmetrical.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: November 20, 2016, 06:07:15 am »

So suppose I really enjoyed the Shadowrun series, but I've played all of the games in it for now (except the Chronicles: Boston one, which has really bad reviews). I also really liked Transistor and VA-11-Hall A recently.
So is there a story-rich post/cyberpunk game that is preferably a turn-based strategy that you would recommend, based on these titles?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: November 20, 2016, 06:18:32 am »

You'd do better posting in the 'Recommend me a game' thread in Other Games.

To answer your question: Underrail might be something you'd enjoy.
Oh hey, thanks. I figured there might be a better thread for this, I just forgot what it was.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: November 20, 2016, 06:41:19 pm »

Ok in a novel I read the main character had to go through the desert and was given the advice to take a horse instead of a Camel.

Because while a Camel is more built for the desert it won't show its wear and tear, thirst and hunger as much as a horse will and thus can suddenly die on you unexpectedly.

How true is this?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: November 20, 2016, 06:46:53 pm »

That's....fairly stupid advice. Sounds like they're saying that camels may last longer, but at least with horses they'll let you know before they fail. I'd assume that in crossing a desert, having a living animal by the end is more desirable than said animal letting you know it's about to collapse in the middle.

Horses need more water and shorter periods between drinks, and they can't walk on sand as well. Plus, they need more grazing - ie grass.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: November 20, 2016, 07:03:05 pm »

The sudden dying does look maybe accurate, checking around a bit. Seems sorta' like it's likely to be caused by treating them poorly or ignoring illness, primarily -- the rider basically doing stuff to them that causes their body to go into shock and stop working. Also looks like horses will keel over and die to similar treatment, though, and have all sorts of pretty substantial disadvantages in low-water terrain. And camels still have plenty of signs you're pushing them too hard, they're just, y'know. Not the exact same ones horses have. Do seem a bit less expressive, so maybe the horses giving more obvious signs are accurate, but other than that, it's... fairly bad advice. And a fairly deceptive description of the way of things besides.

Guess what it comes down to is they look like they can go from standing to dead pretty quick, but there wouldn't be anything unexpected about it unless you were a blind idiot that has no idea how to take care of your animal, and even in that case the only one that would be surprised is you. And anyone else similarly impaired, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:05:37 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: November 20, 2016, 07:13:49 pm »

Yeah, that's dumb. Most animals are ridiculously fragile, but horses are fragile even by those standards. I'm not riding a horse into a desert in lieu of a camel unless I see a hundred locals doing the same thing.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: November 20, 2016, 07:18:30 pm »

Yeah, that's dumb. Most animals are ridiculously fragile, but horses are fragile even by those standards. I'm not riding a horse into a desert in lieu of a camel unless I see a hundred locals doing the same thing.
I would think that seeing a hundred locals ride out of a desert on horses would do more to convince me than seeing a hundred locals ride in.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: November 20, 2016, 07:20:50 pm »

I'd be more concerned about what the non-locals are riding out of the desert on, myself.
Ask not!
Ask!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: November 20, 2016, 07:25:22 pm »

More concern would be directed towards why no non-locals are emerging from the desert at all....
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: November 20, 2016, 07:37:52 pm »

Max concern would be a hundred non-locals going into the desert on horses, then a hundred locals emerging on the same horses.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: November 20, 2016, 07:39:57 pm »

No, no. Hundred non-locals going in on horses and a hundred locals coming out on camels dragging quite a lot of meat.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:57 pm »

All wrong. A hundred locals going into the desert on horses and a hundred different locals coming out on camels.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: November 20, 2016, 07:43:14 pm »

No no, you're wrong too. A hundred non-locals going in riding horses and a hundred camels coming out riding locals.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2984 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:23 pm »

No no, you're wrong too. A hundred non-locals going in riding horses and a hundred camels coming out riding locals.
No! A hundred localities entering horses!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 648