Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180642 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1890 on: December 27, 2012, 11:54:44 am »

Yes, it is possible for your actions to lead you into situations where you're more likely to have one or another crime committed against you. This applies to all kinds of things, and doesn't mean the crime is your fault, or that you could have predicted it, or that going out of your way to avoid it would have been worth it. After all, most pedestrians hit by cars are probably in the street, but that doesn't mean it's your fault for crossing the street in the first place.

I'm not sure what this guy expects women to do; constantly live their lives in fear, never doing anything even as risky as walking down the street or wearing flattering clothing, because if they get sexually assaulted by some stranger it's their fault? There are other problems with his statement, but I'm not even going to bother continuing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: December 27, 2012, 11:55:37 am »

"The immortal soul" appears to suffer when the bag of meat it is contained within goes through unpleasant events. Any God that allows suffering as some kind of test is cruel and not one I wish to belive in.

Well, you do need some kind of unpleasant events to mentally develop. You can't learn without some kind of pleasure feedback. But these unpleasant events can be also triggered while maintaining fairness, and a caring and kind God could very easily ensure that life is fair. Since life isn't fair, God isn't caring and kind.

McFry, it isn't necessarily the word.  I just find he would have been able to make a much less offensive argument if he used almost any other crime instead.  Mainly because from what I've seen of UR, he doesn't see rape as a big deal.  I could be wrong, but... It gets to the point where I am a little creeped out by him.
Thinking of rape as "not a big deal" is quite creepy, I must agree, yet I don't see why using rape as an example would make the argument offensive (or maybe that's just me, stripping sentences down to the statements and ignoring any other aspects).

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: December 27, 2012, 11:56:30 am »

2) I don't know why, but the world is clearly made in a way that people have to pay for the sins of the others. For sins of parents, sins of friend, sins of the nation, sins of the whole humanity.
Hint: God doesn't exist, that's why.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: December 27, 2012, 11:59:52 am »

Again, McFry, it's more that his argument would be less creepy.  Especially to me.  I'm not kidding here, it creeps me out, the way he seems to regard rape.  He just doesn't seem to understand how offensive the crime is.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: December 27, 2012, 12:01:20 pm »

2) I don't know why, but the world is clearly made in a way that people have to pay for the sins of the others. For sins of parents, sins of friend, sins of the nation, sins of the whole humanity.
Look, I'm an atheist myself, but I have to ask: Do you have evidence for this?
The christian god not existing is a better explanation for UR's observations than Him existing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: December 27, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »

The burden of proof is on the person saying he does, not the person saying he doesn't.
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: December 27, 2012, 12:03:31 pm »

It's the default position. I'm sure MagmaMcFry would also add "... but I could be wrong" if asked. I'm sure you wouldn't ask the same question if someone said: "Santa doesn't exist"

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: December 27, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »

Not entirely, G.  Both sides need proof, you can't disprove an argument just "because."

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: December 27, 2012, 12:06:41 pm »

No, but its more logical to assert that until proven otherwise something unverifiable does not exist, rather than to assume it does until proof of its non-existance is found. Example: Alien life. This is the essence of Russels teapot.

Edit: As an aside, how would faithful individuals react to aliens, sentient or otherwise?
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: December 27, 2012, 12:08:31 pm »

We already discussed that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: December 27, 2012, 12:08:53 pm »

My bad, must have missed it.
This is a blank sig.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: December 27, 2012, 12:09:07 pm »

It's the unfalsifiable problem. You can't prove or disprove his existence.
Well, the Christian God is described as interfering, so if the Christian God existed, the future would be different than if he didn't exist, right?
Therefore the existence of the Christian God is testable.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: December 27, 2012, 12:11:09 pm »

Y'know, in America we have a saying about rape: the victim is never at fault.
If you mean that you can't blame someone for being raped that's true. You need to live in Saudi Arabia for that

But that women couldn't choose another path to avoid rape is bullshit.

She could choose associates better
She could learn self defense
She could carry a gun

And so on...

Protecting own body and honor is a duty
We are responsible for whatever that happens with us

The christian god not existing is a better explanation for UR's observations than Him existing.
Pacifistic, fluffy, babysitting, "make all people happy" God doesn't exist. It's obvious from a simple observation. But Christian god is anything but that. Ask inquisition, ask crusaders
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: December 27, 2012, 12:12:46 pm »

Well, if they had none of our problems, whoopdedoo purge the heretic! At least, if the free will argument's still around. And if they were just plain better then we were, the same applies. Though this would most likely be ignored as usual.

Ukranian Ranger, do you worship the bastard? After all, not doing so doesn't seem to have any additional ill effects.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: December 27, 2012, 12:16:08 pm »

But that women couldn't choose another path to avoid rape is bullshit.
The point is that she wouldn't know which path to take.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 130