Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180891 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1755 on: December 22, 2012, 04:33:26 pm »

By capitalization, we mean this:

when did jobs die

That can be taken in tow different ways, as jobs is both a plural noun and a last name.

When did jobs die
When did Jobs die

Or more in one of your run-on sentences.

i can see the sky i don't see the stars right now i just see the sun the clouds are out too

Even just capitalizing and punctuating that properly would help.

I can see the sky. I don't see the stars right now. I just see the sun. The clouds are out, too.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: December 22, 2012, 04:46:21 pm »

Okay I'll try to do that but again dont expect it to be a switch that can be turned on and off.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: December 22, 2012, 05:21:14 pm »

This whole thread should probably be locked. We can only get more annoyed at each other as we retread old ground.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: December 22, 2012, 05:30:45 pm »

That'll be kinda good, as I probably shouldn't have posted here in the first place and I don't want more arguments popping up in my SNRtYPs.
My tumblr.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: December 22, 2012, 05:46:13 pm »

Until someone with the power does that, I would like to tread a little new ground.

The following is not being proposed as true or probable. Set phasers to hypothetical.

Christian theist persons:
Suppose that it were discovered that we are indeed living in a simulation. Now suppose that the creator of this simulation goes by the username YHWH, and he* fully admits to having made the Bible authors write the Bible, and Jesus was an avatar under his full control.

Would you worship him? If not, why? What would he lack?

My own answer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*It’s obvious God is a guy.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: December 22, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »

I would ask him to set my enemies on fire and then forget that I asked him to set my enemies on fire. He would probably decline, too. I make enemies for the pettiest of reasons.
My tumblr.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: December 22, 2012, 05:54:43 pm »

If all those things a re true? it depends, how fancy is this simulation? is it possible its so advanced that we can still pick? assuming we can then yes I would

I worship him and give thanks for making me, it dont matter if Im 1's and 0's or flesh and blood the point is he made me, thats why I worship.

How EVER if it turned out he never wanted us to be like this? then maybe I'd talk to him causally but I'd still be thank ful and have respect for him.

I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: December 22, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »

Then we need to find them and eat them, so that we may gain their power.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: December 22, 2012, 05:59:30 pm »

Or at least cram them into a small space called a "reserve", then hunt them for shits and giggles.
This is a blank sig.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: December 22, 2012, 06:05:11 pm »

I'm confident that we can tread new ground here. It might only happen like a third of the time, but I think it's worth wading through some circular snapiness. That said...

Being an awful troll really does make it easier to ignore your silly unrelated rambles, friend.

Cut this out. If you think he's a troll, ignore him or message me about him. Saying it in the thread like this only pisses people off and stirs up more drama.

@Fenrir's question
I would worship him if he wanted to be worshiped. I wouldn't be happy about it, but he's pretty much capable of holding a gun up to everyone's head.

There's a reason there's nobody who believes in God but but intentionally does not worship him out of pride or whatever. Except maybe stereotypical satanists, I guess? I don't think those actually exist, though. I'm pretty sure my high school religion teacher just made them up to prove a point.

Just wondering, if it turned out aliens had made humans...?

On the other hand, I don't think this would necessitate worship. Gratitude definitely, as long as they didn't create us as a slave race or something. I wouldn't expect any sentient creature I made to worship me. I'd hope they'd have created us as equals.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: December 22, 2012, 06:38:11 pm »

Penguinofhonor, you can find someone who believes anything, and that's just humanity. Admittedly, whenever anything expands, so do people jumping on it.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: December 22, 2012, 11:16:04 pm »

Yeah, if it turned out we were designed for something other than slavery or food or something like that, I think I'd go along the same lines as you, treating them with gratitude, but not outright worship.
Yeah, that makes sense.

To add to your list of negative things, what if they designed us just to fuck with us.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: December 22, 2012, 11:19:49 pm »

Yeah, if it turned out we were designed for something other than slavery or food or something like that, I think I'd go along the same lines as you, treating them with gratitude, but not outright worship.
Yeah, that makes sense.

To add to your list of negative things, what if they designed us just to fuck us. Perverts.
My tumblr.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: December 22, 2012, 11:21:14 pm »

Something I always wonder about is if there is a purpose to a hypothetical God's existence. If God is truly omniscient and knows all possible outcomes. Why bother doing anything about it? Why guide humans when you gain nothing out of it, even a new experience?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: December 22, 2012, 11:22:14 pm »

One of many problems with omniscience. Pretty much all omni- traits bring severe logical problems.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 130