Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180981 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1695 on: December 22, 2012, 01:22:40 pm »

Mainly because I'm not expecting you to take it at face value.  But I'm not going to lie about my beliefs just because I don't want you to think I'm weird.

Also, I didn't say I sit down and have tea with him.  It's more that I pray and feel comforted by him.  Sometimes I feel that something is right or wrong.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: December 22, 2012, 01:26:03 pm »

All we're saying is that in any other context, saying you hear voices in your head that aren't you is cause to question your mental health. Why should deities get an exception?

That, and how many acts of criminality have been carried out because "God told" some poor unfortunate unwell person to do it...

Mainly because I'm not expecting you to take it at face value.  But I'm not going to lie about my beliefs just because I don't want you to think I'm weird.

Well, at least you seem to understand how odd it sounds to those of us who have no God.

Whilst I hold up the idea that Prayer can bring those who hold faith comfort (almost "unloading" in some way), I have no idea what you mean by the "right or wrong" statement.
This is a blank sig.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: December 22, 2012, 01:29:51 pm »

When god tells us something we couldn't have cooked up from our own experiences, i might listen.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: December 22, 2012, 01:42:19 pm »

Yeah, probably should clarify: "right or wrong" as in "telling someone they are going to Hell is not something I should be doing."  Alternatively, "helping out someone who can't provide for themselves is something I should be doing."

That kind of stuff.  I actually do know some Christians who think differently.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: December 22, 2012, 01:50:26 pm »

Yeah, that's actually offensive, questioning my mental health.
Except for the part where I wasn't questioning your mental health?
I was saying that it was self-reflective thought. Like just about everyone does.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: December 22, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »

I was saying that it was self-reflective thought. Like just about everyone does.
Don't worry Grak, I wasn't talking to you.  I was talking to Socks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: December 22, 2012, 02:02:45 pm »

Oh, looks like I just got a post in an unfortunate position. Sorry.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: December 22, 2012, 02:08:36 pm »

Yeah, probably should clarify: "right or wrong" as in "telling someone they are going to Hell is not something I should be doing."  Alternatively, "helping out someone who can't provide for themselves is something I should be doing."
You are mistaking your own conscience for messages from an ancient, eldritch creature from beyond the universe.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: December 22, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »

You are mistaking your own conscience for messages from an ancient, eldritch creature from beyond the universe.
As I've... y'know, said multiple times... prayer has actually changed my views and opinions several times. 
I used to be a grade-A asshole.  I used to think "Atheists?  Fuck 'em.  Muslims?  Fuck 'em.  Homosexuals?  Don't fuck 'em, that's disgusting."

But prayer actually helped me to see that isn't right to think that way.  It wasn't any actual person who made me think that.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 22, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »

Yeah, I am a lot more comfortable thinking that a subconcoius part of your brain made the decision for you through contemplation.
This is a blank sig.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: December 22, 2012, 02:19:24 pm »

I kinda figured you would.

I'd be more comfortable thinking that my guinea pigs ran away instead of dying slowly.  What's comfortable isn't always what's right.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: December 22, 2012, 02:23:29 pm »

But justifying anything with unverifiable assertions is neither comforting or correct.
This is a blank sig.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: December 22, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »

I refuse to belie i have to "prove something" before I atempt to save someones life
If by saving them you mean getting them to believe in Jesus and his associated religious practices; then it is, in fact, a necessity to provide enough evidence to make someone believe that you are correct.
It's not as if someone can choose what they believe. As I've said before, it's just something that happens based on the knowledge someone has.
No its not, not for me anyways, an exsample, science might one day "prove" the world will end, but its to complex (like god) for many to understand or want to

but those who truly belive that they science and advanced findings, which are so complex its quite easy to mistake, to be right
would it be wrong to try to warn pepole and tell the?

I belive pepole pick what they beli9ve, i PICKED to believe in christ, instead of saying "Oh they are forcing me to follow them" or "No proof" or "God dont exist, you have no proof, he is not real." (dispite the same thing could be said on the other side

I listened to them, evrey other one that came to me, and atheist and with the info I had I CHOSE the one I felt was best by comparing facts, what we know, and what makes sense.

FACT: Science has not disproven God
FACT: Science "assumes" a lot that faith dose, like they ask "where did God come form who made him?" but then they are fine with saying we dont need to know where the big bang came form.
Opinion: I can not, wrap my head around the idea of all of this just "happening" I dont see how laws could "just always be there" a God? its a God thats what it dose, but laws require careful exact rules to be followed universe wise, that to me says there must be SOMETHING, maybe not a God, we may be an off spring of an old race form a diffreint unverse or something

I picked this, I chose to belive, that's the problem many have, they feel like "it just has to happen"
very few pepole EVEr "just belive" they have to make an active effort, try it, and dont exspect "God give me a car" or other ways to "test" gods power to work

Just like I'm not forcing you to go with me to church I'm simply telling you what I belive WILL safe you form a fate so bad, tell me how is that "bad"
I'm not sayign your "wrong" and I'm right, do I belive that God is real? yes but I have no proof and therfor is not a fact, I'm not acting like I HAVE to turn you, I just have to let you know what I belive becuse if I dont, then your damnation will be ON ME if I turn out to be right

Tell me can you honestly blame someone for not wanting that to live with?

You have no proof of that, you can not with Science disprove his claim, so you, like him believe its one thing, with out any proof
Who are you to say what it is or not? you where not there, do I think it was God? I dont know, the bible dose say many will be lead astray, so maybe he is right and the rest of us are wrong

you just did the thing you said he did
But justifying anything with unverifiable assertions is neither comforting or correct.
You can not verife it was him or not, therefor you have just done the same thing
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:29:11 pm by Wolfy »
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 22, 2012, 02:28:35 pm »

As I've... y'know, said multiple times... prayer has actually changed my views and opinions several times. 
I used to be a grade-A asshole.  I used to think "Atheists?  Fuck 'em.  Muslims?  Fuck 'em.  Homosexuals?  Don't fuck 'em, that's disgusting."

But prayer actually helped me to see that isn't right to think that way.  It wasn't any actual person who made me think that.
So you changed your mind about some things while praying, so that implies a supernatural being changed your mind? I have gotten ideas in the shower, what shall we infer from that?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: December 22, 2012, 02:29:11 pm »

We might have a language barrier problem here, I was not questioning your mental health. If you re-read my post you should notice that I was attempting humor there, directed partially at the idea of talking to god and partially at myself (pretending to be bad at frauding people). You might find that not funny, but I really don't know how you can read "questioning your mental health" into that. I didn't say "go see a doctor if you're hearing voices" or anything. My sense of humour may be questionable, but I didn't intend to be offensive.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 130