Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180999 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1680 on: December 22, 2012, 04:11:04 am »

But yes, Wolfie, it is judging someone to say they are going to Hell.  I show my faith through my actions, and in my love for others.
Not by thumping my bible.
How is ti judging? its not, to judge would be for us to decide where they go, we do not, Christ did when he said if you did not believe in him and God you would not be saved, we did not judge them unworthy, we did not set a standard and said they failed, God him self said that

Is it judging to say I sin when I lie?
The part where you tell them they are going to Hell.

I think I know why we are disagreeing about this.  I firmly believe God will judge us each individually, not in lumps of "Christian" and "Atheist."
I think it's possible that anyone with a good heart can go to Heaven.  Maybe it won't happen, but I think if God wills it, it will happen.

And yeah, the Bible has many passages about Hell.  But I don't think it is the ultimate source of knowledge: God is.

Once you have proof, then you can start caring about my soul, but until then, remember that you don't actually know, so anything you say is both completely unprovable and unwarranted. And it isn't going to convince me anyway.
To be fair, I have no proof to show you.  I just have faith in God.  And I care about you, though you probably won't believe I am right.

It's funny.  Sometimes, I almost just stop talking, because there isn't any tangible proof I could show y'all.  But then I remember this is a religious discussion, and not a science fair.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 22, 2012, 04:14:52 am »

The part where you tell them they are going to Hell.

I think I know why we are disagreeing about this.  I firmly believe God will judge us each individually, not in lumps of "Christian" and "Atheist."
I think it's possible that anyone with a good heart can go to Heaven.  Maybe it won't happen, but I think if God wills it, it will happen.

And yeah, the Bible has many passages about Hell.  But I don't think it is the ultimate source of knowledge: God is.
Would you be open to show me why?
I'd LOVE to think God did that, but I just dont see the proof in the bible

if you dont mind, what do you think of Christ saying only those who are believers go to heaven?
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: December 22, 2012, 04:16:07 am »

I'd LOVE to think God did that, but I just dont see the proof in the bible
And you probably won't.  I see it in prayer.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 22, 2012, 04:16:22 am »

Religion is (or, at least, should be) a science.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 22, 2012, 04:18:29 am »

I believe science and religion are far closer then either side makes them

Each treys so hard to make the other one "lose"

like "this one answers this question" "but not this"

Why not just say maybe they both are "right"

And you probably won't.  I see it in prayer.
Do you think the bible is the world of God, or if Christ did or did not say that? (mistranslated, mistranslated)
or maybe yopu think the true God is more then whats in the book?
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1685 on: December 22, 2012, 04:20:29 am »

Because to do so would be being a dick? it dont matter if we cant prove it, I cant prove my mom is going to get shot tommorw but if I believe its going to happen, me pesonoly better damn well do something about it.
No, see being a dick is when you tell me I'm going to hell for my beliefs. I like what I believe, of all the possible theories in the world not only do I think it fits what I want out of life best, but it also fits the evidence. No amount of words is going to change that.

Look at it like this. What if I believe that Christianity is directly poisonous to a person's mental state? Don't mind that there's no proof for it, there's no proof for Hell either. How would you feel if I constantly went around saying "You guys are destroying yourselves with your beliefs?" You wouldn't like it, and rightly so. There's a difference between trying to guide a person to what you think is best, to the best of your knowledge, and completely disregarding what that person wants for themselves. Let people be who they are. You aren't me, I'm not you. Let's agree to disagree.

So you need proof? so why have theroys then on science? there is no proof, they are not proven
That's not what a theory is, that's what a hypothesis is. Theories do have proof.

So I cant warn someone I think something bad is going to happen becuse I dont have proof?
Turns out, I'm already well-acquainted with the beliefs of Christianity. Even moreso than some Christians. I find religion quite interesting. Consider me warned.

It wont convince you (famous last words of an x atheist\christain) but I have to try, i could not live with my self if I knew I could of tried to help you and did not and then you ended up in hell
what type of person dose that make me?
It would make you a person who doesn't try to impose their beliefs on others and has respect for the fact that people see things differently than you.

It's funny.  Sometimes, I almost just stop talking, because there isn't any tangible proof I could show y'all.  But then I remember this is a religious discussion, and not a science fair.
Yeah, I'm talking about in general in public. Everything is fair game in a religious discussion. Except personal attacks, those are never fair game, of course.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 22, 2012, 04:22:57 am »

I think God can speak to us, and he often does.  I guess you might think I'm confused, but it's part of faith.  You don't have to think the same way.  (But do be polite.)

I also think religion is not science.  The two don't necessarily conflict with each other though.
But you can't have faith based upon reason, or the other way around.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 22, 2012, 07:04:52 am »

But surely faith can be a bit iffy? If I were to come up to you and say "I am the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, and if you don't believe me then that is simply because you are unfaithful", then do you have faith in me and just go with whatever blasphemy I spout, or do you decide not to believe me, and thus be unfaithful?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 22, 2012, 07:57:35 am »

I think God can speak to us, and he often does.  I guess you might think I'm confused, but it's part of faith.  You don't have to think the same way.  (But do be polite.)
From when I've talked to religious types, it seems to me like when they're talking to God, they're really talking to part of themselves, because they just about always get an answer that reaffirms their own beliefs/opinions on something. But they think about it differently because they are absolved from the responsibility of how these thoughts may reflect upon their personality; meaning that it's more representative of their own true beliefs than normal.
Not that I can prove this or anything, it's just that I've heard a lot of people all hearing things from God in prayer; and they often seem to align more with that individual person's personality than the other instances of hearing God in prayer.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:40 am »

That's not what a theory is, that's what a hypothesis is. Theories do have proof.
So I cant warn someone I think something bad is going to happen becuse I dont have proof?
Turns out, I'm already well-acquainted with the beliefs of Christianity. Even moreso than some Christians. I find religion quite interesting. Consider me warned.

It would make you a person who doesn't try to impose their beliefs on others and has respect for the fact that people see things differently than you.
We respect that, i dont mind you believing, I'm not FORCING you to changed I'm just telling you, like science pepole like to tell evrey one as well, that we belive this, and we dont think the other way is good for you as it causes harm
it's just a warning mixed with the storys of our lord to bring the good news, becuse I DONT WANT YOU TO GO TO HELL

you can say well "you cant prove it" I refuse to belie i have to "prove something" before I atempt to save someones life

No, see being a dick is when you tell me I'm going to hell for my beliefs. I like what I believe, of all the possible theories in the world not only do I think it fits what I want out of life best, but it also fits the evidence. No amount of words is going to change that.
Same for us, and you have on mutiple occassions told your side\your belifes, you how ever belive that when we die NOTHING happens
and so no harm, my side dont have that, harm dose happen
Look at it like this. What if I believe that Christianity is directly poisonous to a person's mental state? Don't mind that there's no proof for it, there's no proof for Hell either. How would you feel if I constantly went around saying "You guys are destroying yourselves with your beliefs?" You wouldn't like it, and rightly so.
I dont mind that, your telling me you feel I'm in dnager, even if I'm not, I'm glad you cared enough to tell me

There's a difference between trying to guide a person to what you think is best, to the best of your knowledge, and completely disregarding what that person wants for themselves. Let people be who they are. You aren't me, I'm not you. Let's agree to disagree.
Except in this case if your wrong I'm right, I did nothing, as far as I'm concern Christ should throw me in the depths of hell for not trying to help

i psychically cant live with my self if I'm the reason you did not get to heaven
i'm trying to guide you to what I think is best, to the best of my info.

What do you do when someone trys to go through a black hole? you try to stop them
when they try to sail around the world, that at the time, to the best of your info is flast, you try to talk them out of it
'
thats ALL I'm doing here, trying to help as  many as I can

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 22, 2012, 10:31:39 am »

God just spoke to me. He says hi and wants me to tell you that he is very concerned about you. He says the only way to save your soul is to send all your money to me ASAP. He was very clear about that. Then he said something about how you shouldn't listen to weird people on the internet, but I didn't quite get that part.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 22, 2012, 11:09:50 am »

I refuse to belie i have to "prove something" before I atempt to save someones life
If by saving them you mean getting them to believe in Jesus and his associated religious practices; then it is, in fact, a necessity to provide enough evidence to make someone believe that you are correct.
It's not as if someone can choose what they believe. As I've said before, it's just something that happens based on the knowledge someone has.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: December 22, 2012, 12:39:40 pm »

Yeah, that's actually offensive, questioning my mental health.

But no, prayer doesn't just affirm my beliefs.  It's done the opposite in many cases.  As I said.

And yeah, I realize the idea of speaking to God sounds crazy to you guys.  I expect it to, you guys have different beliefs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 22, 2012, 01:19:28 pm »

Well, it does raise an interesting question though. If we are to take at face value your idea that God speaks to you, why couldnt have God said that to xxSockxx?
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: December 22, 2012, 01:20:25 pm »

All we're saying is that in any other context, saying you hear voices in your head that aren't you is cause to question your mental health. Why should deities get an exception?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 130