Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 181408 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Theology Discussion
« Reply #675 on: August 26, 2012, 05:13:32 am »

Don't tell me, I'm cruiing through two bachelor's degree (Biology/Chemistry), planning on a PhD and I get my kick out of science. But religious people seems to have some more drive in them. Mind you, it may be linked to the fact that I'm in Belgium, so the only people I know are religious are the one that are driven.

As for faith/well-being link.

P.S. I'm on a campus computer, I hope you can access those as well.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 26, 2012, 05:59:22 am »

And that is why I'm going to create a religion of loving, tolerance, and reason!
Love, scriver~

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 26, 2012, 06:12:09 am »

And that is why I'm going to create a religion of loving, tolerance, and reason!
I dont think you can. I think you can create a philosophy sure, but not a religion.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 26, 2012, 06:29:40 am »

I dont think you can. I think you can create a philosophy sure, but not a religion.
It's perfectly possible. There are quite a few actually. There's just a lot of people who are bound to misinterpret things for their own gain, or just out of sheer stupidity, or some other reason.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 26, 2012, 07:51:34 am »

If you build a community around a philosophy, it becomes a religion. As I see the term, at least.
Love, scriver~

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 26, 2012, 07:53:18 am »

If you build a community around a philosophy, it becomes a religion. As I see the term, at least.
Yeah, religions are tricky things to define. I'm pretty sure you don't even need to have a god.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 26, 2012, 09:29:07 am »

Buddhism.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 26, 2012, 09:38:46 am »

There are so many different religions, and all those religions are separated into many branches with many views.In my eyes, that means that at least 90% of the people in the world are wrong about their religion.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 26, 2012, 09:58:29 am »

That sure worked out for Jesus.

And the God Emperor of Mankind.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 26, 2012, 10:13:59 am »

Tolerent? Maybe. Loving? In name, maybe. Reasonable? Nope.
And the God Emperor of Mankind.
Not tolerant, not loving, and not reasonable. Emps advocated the oppression of psykers and abhumans, hated the xeno, and didn't listen to any point of view but his own. That last part is even what lead to his downfall, since he wouldn't listen to his psyker clone-son-thing Magnus the Red.

This is opposed to the Interex, who were tolerant and reasonable. They let their people know about the dangers of KAYOS, unlike the Imperium, and this kept them much safer from it since no one with actual knowledge of what Chaos entails would want to join up. They allied with any peaceful alien races they could find, which made them stronger. And it would have worked out if not for the Imperium conquering them.

Seriously, the Emperor absolutely sucked at his job. The only reason it went so well in the first place was that he was so unbelievably powerful, thanks to his psyker powers no less, the hypocrite.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:29 am »

Buddhism.

I'm not sure there's very many Buddhist branches that don't believe in all kinds of spirits and supernatural beings, though, even if just a handful of them outright believes in some kind of god or god-like spirit.

Tolerent? Maybe. Loving? In name, maybe. Reasonable? Nope.

J-Man himself may not have been(/will be) all that nice, but the point is that the philosophy he told his followers to behave acording to was. His followers have to be ever tolerant, ever loging, ever caring of everyone else no matter who thewly are or what they've done, or no Heaven for them. That's pretty much his message in a nutshell.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 26, 2012, 10:43:46 am »

J-Man himself may not have been(/will be) all that nice, but the point is that the philosophy he told his followers to behave acording to was. His followers have to be ever tolerant, ever loging, ever caring of everyone else no matter who thewly are or what they've done, or no Heaven for them. That's pretty much his message in a nutshell.
In my experience, most Christians would disagree, in action if not in word.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 26, 2012, 10:50:53 am »

It's the central message in the New Testament though. You should try to be tolerant, help everyone ,... . 
Keep in mind that Christianity has an imperfect God in the new testament. The divine part makes some mistakes and can be reasoned over by ...(can't remember the prophet's name) during the destruction of Sodom and Gomorra (Which he just planned to raze completely).

Jezus himself has the enough examples, and was also nailed to the cross, which you don't expect to happen to the manifestation of a God.

Also, forget Heaven. God had no sense of scale and reserved way to few places.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 26, 2012, 01:36:51 pm »

Spoiler: Offtopic, Warhammer 40k
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ahem. Too much time on the lexicanum. Out of interest, how many wars have been fought internally and outside it over Buddhism?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 26, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »

That's the point.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 130