Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335130 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #2040 on: September 22, 2012, 08:49:25 am »

Misko, we could team up, the AI seems excellent for cyber warfare.

And yeah, we really need a good design for our mars/lunar base.
We could even start up a forum game just for fun if we had a base design.
What little plans I had involved a base dug into the ground, with a nuclear reactor. Using electrolysis of water to create both Hydrogen(rocket fuel) and oxygen.

And that's about it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: September 22, 2012, 10:16:40 am »

Misko, we could team up, the AI seems excellent for cyber warfare.

And yeah, we really need a good design for our mars/lunar base.
We could even start up a forum game just for fun if we had a base design.
What little plans I had involved a base dug into the ground, with a nuclear reactor. Using electrolysis of water to create both Hydrogen(rocket fuel) and oxygen.

And that's about it.
But when using the hydrogen as rocket fuel the oxygen has to be used as well...
How about oxygen recycling and replenishing our supplies with oxygen from metal ores to counterbalance the unavoidable losses? That would have the benefit of giving us loads of metal to do stuff with.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: September 22, 2012, 01:13:35 pm »

I agree with the changes to the military. Please can you consult with me next time beforehand?
So then, Military position list:
Head of Operations (TopHat) LvL1
Head of The Unconventional Warfare Department(10ebbor10) LvL2
-Head of Zoological Warfare(GreatWyrmGold)
Head of The Airforce (helgoland)LvL2
-Head of Bomber Command (vacant) LvL3
-Head of Fighter Command (vacant) LvL3
Head of The Engineering Corps (vorthon)LvL2
Head of Defensive Operations (vacant)LvL2
Head of The (space) Navy (vacant)LvL2
-Head of Civilian Auxiliary Craft (cargo ships, etc) (vacant) LvL3
Head of Ground Forces (vacant)LvL2
-Head of Armoured Corps (vacant) LvL3
-Head of Infantry (vacant)LvL3
Some Random Tiebreaker(GreatWyrmGold)LvLn/a
Any other positions ideas?
The LvL is the place in the Chain Of Command (LvL1 is the top(hat), lvl2 is below, etc)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:33:16 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: September 22, 2012, 01:58:06 pm »

I agree with the changes to the military. Please can you consult with me next time beforehand?
So then, Military position list:
Head of Operations (TopHat) LvL1
Head of The Unconventional Warfare Department(10ebbor10) LvL2
Head of The Airforce (helgoland)LvL2
-Head of Bomber Command (vacant) LvL3
-Head of Fighter Command (vacant) LvL3
Head of The Engineering Corps (vorthon)LvL2
Head of Defensive Operations (vacant)LvL2
Head of The (space) Navy (vacant)LvL2
-Head of Civilian Auxiliary Craft (cargo ships, etc) (vacant) LvL3
Head of Ground Forces (vacant)LvL2
-Head of Armoured Corps (vacant) LvL3
-Head of Infantry (vacant)LvL3
Any other positions ideas?
The LvL is the place in the Chain Of Command (LvL1 is the top(hat), lvl2 is below, etc)
Yay! I love when people do most of my work fo me!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: September 22, 2012, 02:48:20 pm »

Also, I will act as a tiebreaker in any discussions, to account for the 6 sub-department heads.
As for 'your work', I am the department head. That's my job.
Will MADPLANS keep It's name?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:09:14 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: September 22, 2012, 05:00:44 pm »

I already volunteered as tiebreaker!

She seemed lukewarm towards the program, I'll see what I can do to get her registered at Bay12. Obviously, I'm not going to use real names.

Ninjad: Couldn't we bring it up in pieces and assemble it in space, like we did with the ISS?
Okay, thats good. Out of curiousity, did you actually say that there is a program of forumers who are planning to conquer mars? At least she doesn't appear to know what Bay 12 is.
I mentioned it.

I can take the position of "sane fifth and tie-breaker. I could also lead zoological warfare.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: September 22, 2012, 06:27:38 pm »

I'll take either bomber or fighter command.
I'm British.
It's genetic.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: September 23, 2012, 03:30:04 am »

I already volunteered as tiebreaker!

She seemed lukewarm towards the program, I'll see what I can do to get her registered at Bay12. Obviously, I'm not going to use real names.

Ninjad: Couldn't we bring it up in pieces and assemble it in space, like we did with the ISS?
Okay, thats good. Out of curiousity, did you actually say that there is a program of forumers who are planning to conquer mars? At least she doesn't appear to know what Bay 12 is.
I mentioned it.

I can take the position of "sane fifth and tie-breaker. I could also lead zoological warfare.
Oops. Sorry, editing. Zoological Warfare comes under Unconventional.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:32:25 am by TopHat »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: September 23, 2012, 05:51:47 am »

I believe space navy and air force should be combined - they're similar enough, and the air force would probably need to closely cooperate with the space navy. Also there's similarities in the education of pilots, similarities in the necessary maintenance work, etc.

This applies of course only to the military part of the space navy, not our merchant fleet.
I'm British.
It's genetic.
Hooray! You can't win a war without the British, you know :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: September 23, 2012, 05:55:17 am »

I believe space navy and air force should be combined - they're similar enough, and the air force would probably need to closely cooperate with the space navy. Also there's similarities in the education of pilots, similarities in the necessary maintenance work, etc.

This applies of course only to the military part of the space navy, not our merchant fleet.
I'm British.
It's genetic.
Actually, not. Space fights will be way more similair with submarine combat than airfights.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: September 23, 2012, 06:02:33 am »

I'm British.
It's genetic.
Actually, not. Space fights will be way more similair with submarine combat than airfights.
Submarines can't maneuver that quickly, and combat in the third dimension is already part of dogfighting; however, there still are some differences because of the way acceleration takes place. Still a skilled plane pilot would make at least a better-than-average space pilot. Evading missiles and all that jazz.

What about the oxygen-from-ores idea mentioned below? Could you run a few feasibility calculations?
The Bay12 postcard club

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: September 23, 2012, 06:20:25 am »

Space combat will be like nothing seen before. Calculate where an enemy will be when your attack gets to him, launch an attack with a tragectory calculated to intersect the enemy's, avoid enemy attacks, pray you don't run out of reaction mass first, never see a glimpse of your enemy except through instruments...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: September 23, 2012, 06:39:55 am »

I'm British.
It's genetic.
Submarines can't maneuver that quickly, and combat in the third dimension is already part of dogfighting; however, there still are some differences because of the way acceleration takes place. Still a skilled plane pilot would make at least a better-than-average space pilot. Evading missiles and all that jazz.

What about the oxygen-from-ores idea mentioned below? Could you run a few feasibility calculations?
However, the distance between the combatants are far larger. Therefore, it all evens out. Space combat will be based on being unpredictable to your opponents, making tactical decision to stay hidden(mostly through decoys) and making precise manoevers, as well as managing your crew and ship. Reflexes are not usefull at all when missiles take half an hour to reach your ship.

As for the Oxygen thingy, probably quite feasible, as most of the oxygen is going to be recycled by our food production. The deficit should be quite small.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: September 23, 2012, 06:49:14 am »

The deficit is from burning fuel, and how would you hide in space? Decoys would need to fire weapons and move like normal spacecraft to work.
...And what weapons will we use? Most projectile weapons would be point-defensed out of existence.
Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 23, 2012, 06:49:15 am »

Still, as long as there IS a deficit, we need to make extra oxygen.
And i think space combat will mainly rely on large ships (think star trek) and much less fighters.
But on the other side i think that its very unpredictable how space combat will be. Mayby there wont be space combat AT ALL because its too hard and doesnt have any major benefits beside the rule of cool.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 192