Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335927 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #1050 on: August 16, 2012, 01:05:48 pm »

Ahum. Airpressure on Mars is extremely low. 500km/ hour winds might seem strong, but in fact they are nothing.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:30 pm »

i don't know the exact speeds , but if the storm is 6 months long .....
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 16, 2012, 01:13:09 pm »

For once I agree with brainfreez. It may not hurt much but it will seriously muck up visability and solar power.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:22 pm »

It also happens once every six years. Also, due to the fact it obscures the sun, temperatures are going to go way down, potentially destroying your windmills.

Also, the duststorms will reduce incoming solar power by 99%.

Btw, the Martian rovers weighted barely 200 kg, and they managed to get through the storms entirely intact. (Except for dust on the solar pannels, which proved to be quite dangerous, and in fact, ultimately killed Spirit.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 16, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »

Stop, stop! It's not going to be REMOTELY easy to make Mars warm and with a breatheable atmosphere; aside from some greenhouses, domes, and such, we should mostly be underground anyways, for protection. If all we had aboveground were solar power plants and piles of mine waste, that would be fine and ideal. Terraforming can wait until AFTER we conquer Terra and develop terraforming tech.

Or, we can engineer ourselves to be more tolerant of cold and high CO2 concentrations.
1: I didn't say it would be easy.
2: It's a long term project.
3: we should not genetically modify ourselves. Try it out on yourself first, but whatever happens, don't say I didn't warn you..
1. Obviously. But will it be worth it?
2. Seeing as we don't even have the tech to start, yep, it will be.
3. Why not?

hey , if a 500km/h wind is blowing in your direction , not only it will rip your suit off but it will blow you around the planet .
For a certain definition of "you," yes. The "you" being blown around will probably be most of you, just not all in one piece. Hurricane-force dust-storms are scary.

how we will weaponise the storms ? we will build a huge tube aimed at earth and hope the wind will strike them ?  -_-

i suggest instead of weaponising the wind , we could make adamantine windmills and gather power .
We'll weaponize it the same way we weaponize a biome that raises zombies: Lock ourselves up and wait for it to tear the invaders apart.

how we will weaponise the storms ? we will build a huge tube aimed at earth and hope the wind will strike them ?  -_-

i suggest instead of weaponising the wind , we could make adamantine windmills and gather power .
Good idea. But where will we get the adamantine?
Don't we have a committee working on how to synthesize it? If not, the magma sea of Mars is mostly solid, so it should be easier to dig around inside and go looking...especially if I make some giant dragon-mole thingies that eat rock first...

Ahum. Airpressure on Mars is extremely low. 500km/ hour winds might seem strong, but in fact they are nothing.
The dust they blow around is something, though. Normal sandstorms muck up electronics. Super-fast duststorms? They'd probably be far more destructive...

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 16, 2012, 01:36:14 pm »

They are not that destructive. Spirit and Opportunity survived them without problems(except for solar power), and weren't designed for such an experience at all (Their estimated lifetime was 90 days).

Also, due to the low airpressure, they won't blow you around. Going out with a spacesuit is still certain death though, because you won't find the way back which such a low visibility. They won't shred your suit immediatly, but might wear it out.

Also, Mars doesn't like electronics at all. The cold, the solar winds, the sandstorms. It is one of the most dangerous environements we know and managed to visit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 16, 2012, 02:00:19 pm »

Except for [insert large city you dislike here], of course.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 16, 2012, 02:07:05 pm »

Context?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 16, 2012, 02:09:21 pm »

Fuckin' [insert large city you dislike here], man. Send me off to a hostile alien environment any day of the week, as long as it means I never have to visit that place again...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 16, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »

Context?
It's harder to offend people. For instance: If I said Camden, New Jersey, instead of [insert large city you dislike here], people from Camden (and perhaps other areas of NJ) would get angry at me.
Sig

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 16, 2012, 02:29:26 pm »

Context?
It's harder to offend people. For instance: If I said Camden, New Jersey, instead of [insert large city you dislike here], people from Camden (and perhaps other areas of NJ) would get angry at me.
How many people here have ever even been to Camden, let alone live there. I haven't even Heard of it, and I live in NYC
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 16, 2012, 02:32:25 pm »

It's on the other side of NJ.
Sig

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 16, 2012, 03:35:43 pm »

Damn , everyone is from America .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 16, 2012, 04:10:39 pm »

Where are you from, then?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 16, 2012, 04:12:05 pm »

Damn , everyone is from America .
Look, we'll send you money for a plane ticket, okay? If we're building any of this ourselves, it will be a almost microscopic in comparison.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 192