Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Yet another book thread  (Read 7572 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another book thread
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2012, 07:24:03 pm »

I quite liked the Inheritance series myself, actually. Not as much as the others I've mentioned, but I've never really understood why a lot of people bash it so much. (I haven't read the last book either, though. Again, book prices here in Aus are harsh.)

My main complaint is linguistic. The conlangs are so awful I gagged the whole time i was reading them. And he completely stole the plot of Star Wars (IV - VI).

Plus, why did he include the "no stinking ba(r)dges" joke? that's just silly.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2012, 07:58:47 pm »

Well, I am no linguist myself... You could probably write down the screechings of a monkey, change a few spellings to make them look like words and I would mistake it for some ancient language or other. :P
As for the other point, well I've, um... please don't kill me... But I've never actually seen the Star Wars movies. :-\ I've been meaning to!
There are a lot of 'must-see' movies I haven't seen, so I usually miss any rip-offs or references to them.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2012, 08:01:38 pm »

(Hooray for the random books button.)
Where did you see that at?

If you click the "book search" thing on the main page, you should find it there.

Or just this.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?sort_order=random

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2012, 03:43:23 am »

(Hooray for the random books button.)
Where did you see that at?

If you click the "book search" thing on the main page, you should find it there.

Or just this.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?sort_order=random
Neat, thanks!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2012, 03:18:28 pm »

Anything by Neal Stephonson is good, as is Terry Pratchett. Seriously, how the hell does Pratchett put out SO MANY GODDAMN BOOKS?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 09:29:31 am »

Anything by Neal Stephonson is good, as is Terry Pratchett. Seriously, how the hell does Pratchett put out SO MANY GODDAMN BOOKS?
Because he has the will of an elephant. Seriously, after he lost the ability to write he started dictating the damn things.

I'll throw in a recommendation for The Belgariad. It is a really great book.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 05:50:57 pm »

85% through Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time Book Seven) and I still think it's pretty engrossing, despite many people saying it slowed down around here. Read on~

I know I shouldn't say this, but I really hope Pratchett writes Raising Taxes before he passes on ... :( I wonder why many good people die early . <.<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2012, 05:53:09 pm »

Hehe, I thought I recognized those music notes, Skyrunner.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

I wonder why many good people die early.

Because we don't care when the bad ones do, so we only notice the good ones.

Incidentally, favourite Pratchett book? I'd have to say a tie between Night Watch or Thud for me. I mean, c'mon, VIMES.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 06:47:55 pm »

Incidentally, favourite Pratchett book? I'd have to say a tie between Night Watch or Thud for me. I mean, c'mon, VIMES.
Vimes is pretty awesome, but my favorite books are the four Tiffany books. I mean, c'mon, FEEGLES.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2012, 11:43:14 pm »

I think it was either the ones involving the witches, because I loved the pragmatic attitude witches tend to have, or it was the Rincewind books that were my favourite, but generally pretty much everything Pratchett has written is gold in my opinion.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 12:30:09 am »

Hehe, I thought I recognized those music notes, Skyrunner.
I liked them enough to put it in my sig :P

That's profound. :-0

I think it was either the ones involving the witches, because I loved the pragmatic attitude witches tend to have, or it was the Rincewind books that were my favourite, but generally pretty much everything Pratchett has written is gold in my opinion.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2012, 12:58:29 am »

That's profound. :-0

It's called selection bias (technically a sampling bias with a little confirmation bias thrown in too). Also, now that you've had a little stats education, you'll start seeing these sorts of biases everywhere.

I do.

They haunt me

O__O

Back OT (at least a little), I must admit I don't really know what to make of Snuff. I mean, it was cool and all, but...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Definitely looking forward to Raising Taxes though.

Oh, and have you read The Long Earth? Written in partnership with Stephen Baxter, sort of 20-minutes-into-the-future sci-fi with parallel universes. Good read, has bits of Pratchetts humour shining through (I'm looking at you, Lobsang), but there's enough of a difference from pure Pratchett to be a new read.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2012, 02:41:03 am »

I used to love Pratchett's work when I was a bit younger. The several-boxes-worth of books in my room attest to that. :P
But these days I'm not quite as much of a fan, for the most part. I mean, I still love some of his books, chiefly the Rincewind stories and The Amazing Maurice, but most of the ones set in the city and involving him main characters like Vimes and Carrot seem really bland, to me. Characters like Vimes and Carrot and
just seem too powerful, too unflustered in the face of danger and such. Pratchett seems to try a bit too hard to make them seem clever, unique and interesting, to me. They aren't really believable as characters. :-\
He's still a great author, though- I think I might re-read The Amazing Maurice or The Last Continent after I finish reading the two books I'm currently re-reading. :) I'm just definitely more of a fan of his work that isn't set in Ankh-Morpork, or however you spell it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »

My absolute favorite Pratchett book is Small Gods. Feet of Clay and Reaper Man probably tie for second, and The Amazing Maurice and the Wee Free Men are up there too. At least, those are the books that are staring at me from my shelf right now.

I think that Vimes was a more interesting character in the earlier books. More flawed?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8