Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Yet another book thread  (Read 7570 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another book thread
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 11:33:44 pm »

Glen Cook. His books are similar to ASoIaF, yet may actually be better. Read The Chronicles of the Black Cmpany. The man is a god amongst authors. He's listed as one of the biggest inspirations for Steven Erikson, who is probably my favourite author.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 11:45:33 pm »

He needs to start writing the next book in that series already.

In other recommendings: The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. It's a spiritual successor to Fritz Lieber's iconic duo, and some of the best modern sword and sorcery you'll find.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 11:54:16 pm »

As for Pratchett... Discworld! :D I especially liked Going Postal and Making Money.

Those ones, and the ones about Vimes and the Watch, and the Tiffany Aching/Feegle ones.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2012, 12:00:56 am »

I need some good non Stephen King horror, I'm slowly working my body to never need sleep again!

I can't think of anything that I would recommend that hasn't already been mentioned.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 12:32:46 am »

(Hooray for the random books button.)
Where did you see that at?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 12:52:39 am »

Which one?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2012, 01:07:23 am »

I enjoyed Shamus Young's books. He's only written two fiction novels, one of which is free (And based on System Shock), but they're both good. He also plays games, writes a blog, and writes games.

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy is probably my favorite series. It's slow at points, but Robin just has a way of making her fairly stereotypical fantasy world come to life and be unique where others would only manage bland descriptions and stories. It's one of the books I gobble up once I start it, and I have to pace myself or I spend an inordinate amount of time reading and finish the book too fast.

I have to second the Dresdon Files - It's a solid fantasy series that starts off a little rough as Jim Butcher learns to wave his metaphorical Wand of Writing with more skill. Lots of interesting characters and stories for what amounts to a detective novel about a wizard, but the books are rather short.

The Wheel of Time 1-3 are good fantasy stuffs, and after that isn't bad if you enjoy the politics, can remember who's name belongs to who, and have a great deal of patience. On the upside, the characters develop somewhat as the story progresses, and a lot of the ideas behind the world's magic are very interesting. All of the jokes about it are true, though - Jordan recycled his descriptive lines a lot. It has a slow build-up to the climax, too, which is over before you can blink. I'm currently on Crown of Swords, which is the 7th one, but I'm still enjoying it.

Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy is pretty good, after you get past the Harry Potter-esque beginning. It's partially from the perspective of a demon who is frequently summoned to the service of a young sorcerer genius kid who does some stuff. It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember it for its smooth, gotta-finish-it-now reading.

I enjoyed Paolini's Eragon "Trilogy", but haven't read the fourth one. Yes, the last book in the trilogy is the fourth one. Grab a dictionary, since Paolini very obviously used the most ridiculous thesaurus he could find.

Bridge to Terabethia(sp?) made me cry. I was ashamed, but it was just that good.

That's everything off the top of my head.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2012, 02:15:36 am »

I need some good non Stephen King horror, I'm slowly working my body to never need sleep again!

I can't think of anything that I would recommend that hasn't already been mentioned.
HP Lovecraft? Though that's less not wanting to face the darkness and more not wanting to face the world.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2012, 05:53:34 am »

I read a heap of Raymond E. Feist's books just for the sake of following the series, and the later ones were just the same basic story repeated over and over, with some new 'twist' occuring each time. :-\

I read a bunch of Feist too. I got to the end of the long stretch of events and was like ... oh... okay. :P Was at least happy to figure out why a certain character used to say things he said though. That was interesting enough and I didn't see it coming at all. Won't get specific though... But I really did like that story over all.

I liked some Anne Bishop, and some David Eddings. I very much enjoyed Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials." I recently read the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks, at a friend's recommendation... That was good too. Also at recommendation, The Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory. Wasn't bad.

Considering getting into that wheel of time thing because... Well it's supposed to be good, and my best friend says it is, so I might as well get on with it.

:P I've also been reading an organic chemistry textbook... I recommend reading textbooks just because nobody's telling you to read them. It changes the experience a great deal, and they tend to carry information you won't find in a google search. (And if you believe in the whole p2p thing, immense collections of human knowledge are right at your fingertips, free of charge...)
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2012, 06:21:35 am »

Everything by China Mievielle (start with Perdidio Street Station), everything he writes is amazing and original.

The Year of our war (and the books that follow) by Steph Swainson, great odd fantasy series.
The Name of the Wind is pretty great, even though on the face of it it doesn't sound like it should be so good.
Dresden files, it's urban fantasy and pretty enjoyable, even though I'm not that big a fan of the genre.
Magician by Raymond E. Feist, you can keep reading after that, but it goes all downhill from there.

On the subject of Brandon Sanderson, I really liked The Way of Kings (far more then any of his other books (excluding his contributions to WoT), which were fairly good as well), but since its 1 in like a 10 part planned series, it probably wouldn't be smart to start it until it gets underway.

In other recommendings: The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. It's a spiritual successor to Fritz Lieber's iconic duo, and some of the best modern sword and sorcery you'll find.
An amazing book, I second it.
I recently read the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks, at a friend's recommendation... That was good too. Also at recommendation, The Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory. Wasn't bad.
A thoroughly enjoyable series and author, I second this recommendation as well.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2012, 08:26:17 am »

I quite liked the Inheritance series myself, actually. Not as much as the others I've mentioned, but I've never really understood why a lot of people bash it so much. (I haven't read the last book either, though. Again, book prices here in Aus are harsh.)
Personally not a fan of Eddings. Then again, I've taken my entire opinion of him from the one book of his I read, so feel free to discount that. :P Which reminds me, I used to get him confused with David Gemmel, whose books vary wildly from really good (The Rigante novels) to, in my opinion, lame.

One fantasy author who isn't something I'd usually read but who is actually quite good is Cecilia Dart-Thornton(however the hell you spell it). I've only read a couple of her books, but as long as you don't let her stray into sappy, over-done romance territory they're good reads. :)
She has a (as far as I've seen read) unique take on mythology/magic.

Jeez, I never have anyone to talk to about books, so now I'm waffling on in this topic. :-\ Er, sorry about that. I'm trying to be helpful, though!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:28:25 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2012, 08:49:38 am »

Dammit, most everything I wanted to suggest has been suggested already.

Still, more support for these wont hurt.

Read Feist's first 3 Riftwar books (Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon) and the 3 he co-wrote with Janny Wurts (Daughter-, Servant-, and Mistress of the Empire). Magician in particular is a seminal fantasy work, and the others are all solid. The stuff later on just gets tedious ("Oh look, the last big bad was actually just running from this bigger bad", repeated ad nauseum), although at least the bits with Nakor are good fun.

For Wheel Of Time, ignore the haters. The problem with the series is that it was written with an end goal in mind; book 1, and to a lesser extent, 2 are fairly self-contained, but after that it becomes more about laying the groundwork for the end. Yes, it slows down for a couple of books either side of 7, but book 10 starts to pick up, 11 is a really good read and then (as Sanderson takes over) the books are in climax mode, and basically consist of one long string of badassitude.
Also, they're good THICK books; I don't know about you, but I read fast. I usually get 2-3 hours from most books out there (Pratchett's stuff is about 2.5 hours pretty consistently for me, as an idea), so getting 12 hours of solid reading from a WoT book is a nice change.

Mentioning Sanderson, he is a truly amazing author. I'd love him just for the fact that he manages to avoid or subvert virtually all the tired old fantasy cliches, but he ties that in with solid writing, believable characters, dialogue and settings, as well as truly well thought out magic systems. Elantris is one of his first, and a good place to start reading, but he truly gets into form by the Mistborn trilogy. Finally, the Way of Kings series is planned to be a WoT sized epic, and that first book is the best I've ever read, by any author ever.

Robin Hobb's stuff is generally pretty good, except for the Soldier Son trilogy, a stand alone series with no connection to her other stuff. While that story was generally meh, her Royal Assassin series is good, if somewhat dark. The next series in 'verse (Liveship series) is about level, although the main characters aren't as badass as the one from the 1st trilogy. Then it switches back to said hero, and it's awesome. Finally, she's currently writing a new series in the verse a bit further on. So far it's good, but it feels a bit different, though I can't put my finger on why.

Read Patrick Rothfuss' books; Name if the Wind and A Wise Man's Fears. While Way of Kings is my number one book, these two take second and third. It tells the story of Kvothe, a true ace in every way; the man should be a total Mary Sue (Gary Stu?), right down to the colour changing eyes. It speaks volumes for this author that he can actually make that sort of character not only bearable, but downright awesome. It's also his 1st and 2nd book ever, so a truly impressive debut performance.

Pratchett is a given; I'm actually surprised he's only cropped up relatively lightly in this thread. Good balance of humour and drama, and extremely prolific. A good place to start is the city watch stuff ("Guards! Guards!"; it's around the point where he started to get the Discworld verse properly defined).

Eddings is okay, but is extremely stereotypical sword and sorcery type high fantasy, and the stories tend to get pretty repetitive quickly. That said, the Redemption of Athalus, and Belgarath the Sorceror are both excellent books, that can be read on their own (BtS is actually a prequel to his earlier series the Belgariad and the Mallorean, while RoA is completely standalone).

Heading off the beaten track, David Farland is another good author. Good, solid high fantasy series with 7 or 8 books so far, still going strong, and (with the exception of the first 2 books) are quite short and digestible. Well thought out magic system, and generally solid setting. There are some problems though. He definitely leans towards the overly descriptive prose at the start; in the first book in particular, every fricking scene seems to start with a detailed discription of each character's outfit.
Secondly, and I think this might stem from him being a pastor IRL, his main characters seem to draw heavily from the Jesus archetype; very much the self sacrificing hero. Not a bad thing, but it does feel a little weird at times.

Other than that, nothing really leaps out at me. Oh, and avoid Marcus Heitz and Ian Irvine like the plague. Their books are horrible, and I regret every cent I gave them.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 11:53:34 am »

I forgot to mention Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Shame Orson Card never made any sequels. I'm sure they would have been great.

(Quick side note - I remember the early sequels not being quite as bad as the latter ones, but Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow always stood out as the jewels of the series. It quickly devolved from kid genius plots to boring adult drama somehow.)
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2012, 07:08:20 pm »

I`ve read a great deal of Neal Stephenson`s work lately: Cryptonomicon, and now about halfway through Quicksilver, the first of three books composing the `Baroque Cycle` - a period trilogy.  Years ago I read and adored Snow Crash but haven`t sat down with any of his books since then. He`s such a nerd and strange character, making for an author with uncommon style, and his books delight me.  In particular his writing style conveys his dry humor with ease.

Has anyone finished The Baroque Cycle?  I`ve heard that it gets pretty slow in the second book, but so far it`s been clever and interesting enough that I may trudge through regardless.  His story gets me excited about 17th century science and political scheming in a way that I never thought I could be; what`s more, I`ve never appreciated the achievements and absurdities of those intellectuals who laid the paving stones for the modern science we take for granted.

In general, he has a way of making me pay attention to things I normally wouldn`t think much about (code-breaking, or politics of post-Restoration England, for example).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:10:11 pm by Seamas »
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »

Which one?
The Black Company series. I tried to read a book in his fantasy detective series, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Also, I'm very glad to see the love for Robin Hobb. I have a tendency to read through her books over a period of 3 days maximum. Which can be a massive endeavor when we're talking about 900 page books. I've never read the Soldier Son ones though, because I've been warned away from them so many times.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8