Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades  (Read 20806 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 0: Introduction
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »

Waitlister always takes Yellow Green!

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 01:44:25 am »

Gray is my choice.

Use Stone Shape on the grate to make it passable before shaping it back.

Then, spellcraft a water spell in attempts to avoid the negatives of traversing the sewers.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 03:03:24 pm »

Well. This is as exciting as expected. :D So far, very cool.

Also: I shall coopt teal. Because.

I have questions, though. That someone should ask.
First: Is it possible to learn spells outside our chosen schools? Either by learning a whole new school, or by taking penalties on the unassociated spells?
Second: Is it possible to create hybrid spells? For example, using a hybrid spirit/stone spell to create a mindless golem in one go, or using a fire/flesh spell to literally melt the target's flesh all at once?
Third: Are there any kinds of hard limits on spells cast? or are we free to whip it out whenever the mood strikes?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 03:09:02 pm »

"Tax collector, huh? Let's see your license."
If he doesn't show a license, or tries to kill me, lash then stab.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2012, 03:16:51 pm »

Also, was that a lute? He owned a fiddle...what HAD happened last night? ((OOC:Is this intentional or no? :P ))

Action: Examine the Woman, The Ring and The Family Crest in detail.
((OOC: My bad, didn't notice this one. Fully unintentional.))

Lute: A closer inspection reveals that what you saw is no lute; it's still your good old fiddle. Must be the shadows playing tricks on your eyes.

Family Crest: [4-1] You can't see the crest very well when the room is this dark, but you notice the overall motif of bees and bears. These two things together usually signify honey merchants.

Ring: [6; 1] You try to remove the ring to inspect it in more detail, but it simply won't let go! You can't notice anything wrong except that the ring seems to be one with your hand.
You know that feeling: it's the feeling of a cursed item stuck to your body. You'll need a cleric to get it off.

Woman: Well, this girl can't be dangerous, right? She looks so young and innocent...
As for the ring, she probably didn't notice it in the dark. Besides, you tend to have some wilu charms of your own, and don't hesitate to use them when drunk - you could have won over this girl even if she knew you were a married man.
Oh, wait, she's already waking. You're going to ask her yourself.

The black-haired girl opens her eyes and looks at you with a sleepy smile. Her eyes are deep emerald green, and you can't help but savor every moment you spend looking into them.
Girl: "Already awake, Songbird, my dear? Don't leave me so soon. I'm so cold and alone in this big, big bed... and nobody will bring me a bed warmer at this early hour. *giggle* I've made sure of that."
She shifts the position of her body slightly - just enough to reveal what you could miss if you refused her. [Perception: 6-1] You notice that her right hand remains under a pillow, just as it had been while she was sleeping. That's a strange amount of self-control for someone who just woke up.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:18:31 pm by HmH »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »

I'll take maroon.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:48 pm »

Del always knew beauty would be the death of him. Oh, but any death she offered would be a sweet one, wouldn't it? All he had to do was walk over and lay back on bed-a quick word of forgiveness, a small joke-and those deep green eyes would be his to savor, once again.

Logic slowly overrode his increasingly murky thoughts. He was sure...he needed to go. Something was very wrong here. He was wearing a cursed ring of ambigious intent-the fact it was cursed shot a hole in his one true love theory, more likely than not. The young woman was hiding something under the pillow, Del was sure. But what?

He sat on the far side of the bed. He couldn't resist speaking to her-literally. Del liked to talk. The years in Bard-Mage College were pure torment, and he had spent the lonely times practicing speaking to illusory women in mirrors. He had been powerless, and his voice has been his way of defiance-of maintaining his self identity.

So, he spoke to the woman now, in tones of reverence unbound for great beauty. He cleared his mind-more or less-and began to grow confident once more.

"Forgive me my dear Lady Raven, I did not wish to disturb your angelic rest-such a radiant sight, I would surely find myself cursed by the Gods for ruining purposefully.

Tell me, my Lady, what of our last night do you recall? I scarce remember much else but your eyes of most brilliant Emerald, beguiling me with their Siren Song."
He said, chancing another look into them.

Careful now... His mind warned him. He did not tense. But he was...mostly...alert.

Also, why had he called her Lady Raven? A comment upon her hair of blackest jet-it went most wonderfully with her eyes, yes-no doubt. Or maybe something more?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:57:11 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2012, 11:01:30 am »

Bump!

@Hmh: Is I holding up the turn btw? O_o

I'll just cut to my action and skip the RP is so.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2012, 11:15:22 am »

Bump!

@Hmh: Is I holding up the turn btw? O_o

I'll just cut to my action and skip the RP is so.
No, I am Spartacus holding up the turn.

@Everybody: Please bump whenever you feel that the turn is taking too long. It seems to do wonders for my motivation, and also gives me an excuse to sacrifice fluff for the speed of writing.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2012, 11:19:17 am »

Will do, m'lord.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2012, 04:48:56 pm »

get me into the waiting list, this looks interesting.

Spoiler: charsheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:58:57 pm by raptorfangamer »
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2012, 09:49:29 pm »

This is EXTREMELY promising. PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 1: First Time For Everything
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2012, 02:46:30 pm »

[Turn 1: First Time For Everything]

Get the hell out of dodge!

[Rincewinding: 5+1; 6; 3] Yelling in horror, you dart out of the doghouse and into the rain. [Chase: 2] The dogs wake up and try to follow you, but soon lose your track in the heavy rain - they, if the barking is any indication, have diverted from their road about two minutes after you started running, and even by then, you were so far away you could barely hear them.

The buildings around you are made of some extremely cheap stone and very, very old - some of them show signs of wear and tear, some have crumbled apart over the years and some have been taken apart for stone, leaving only an ugly, water-filled pit in their places. The only buildings that don't look dismal are built like small forts - and probably are small forts, seeing as there are scorch marks, blood spatters and arrow dents covering their walls.
Overall, it looks like you've somehow wandered into and survived a whole night in one of the older slums, the ones all normal people were driven out of by gangsters. Surviving a whole night in here was a superhuman achievement by itself; you would have darted out of here the moment you found out which direction leads into the city's more civilized parts and not, say, into some gang lord's heavily fortified territory.

All of a sudden, the silence of this early hour is broken: you hear an abnormally loud crack of a whip and a series of blood-curdling screams; you think both of these sounds have originated two or three blocks directly to your left.

Spoiler: dermonster/Derm (click to show/hide)

Murkal will search the room, and gently wake the fine lady up.

[Intentions: 1] You gather your items and get dressed while the fine lady is asleep, and get to plundering her room. [Searching: 1] You hastily rifle through her wardrobe, leaving it in disarray, but there are only women's dresses there; nothing you would find worth stealing. [Searching: 4] The candleholders are pure gold, though. You twist them out of their slots on the walls and put them into your pockets.

[Waking Up: 3] [Perception: 3-1] The fine lady yawns, but doesn't open her eyes just yet. You and your deeds remain unnoticed... for now.

Spoiler: Caerwyn/Murkal (click to show/hide)

Bruce groaned as he got up, then grumbled as he realised it was the same life as allways, troubled poverty.
He didn't have time to complain though he had to act now!

Bruce attepts to shoot a stream of fire out of his hands, caring not for collaterol damage.

[Spellcrafting: 2] You know that fireballs and streams of fire can be made with a plasma containment field, but can't remember how to actually create the fields in question. Maybe it'll come to you later.

Nevertheless, you examine the windows of the mansion studiously and notice three things:
First, the thing that threw you outside is nowhere to be found; it must have retreated back to the mansion once you were no longer an issue.
Second, the mansion is two stories high; the first story was melted smooth and has no windows in it, so you won't be able to get back inside without some heavy-duty Earth magic or a ladder.
Third, this place is clearly located deep in the slums; the houses around you are not only cheap and poorly maintained - they've all been abandoned for years, which means that something either killed or drove out the people who built this district. Which, of course, means that this place is now crawling with swashbucklers, bandits and cutthroats - by no means a pleasant company, and definitely not a safe one. You need to get out out of here, and quick. Too bad you don't know which way leads into the richer districts, as the rain is so heavy you can't even see Archmage's Tower from here.

A sound like a whipcrack snaps through the air, and a rough voice starts bellowing about an extremely violent way in which he'll make his assailant 'regret ever doing that'. You're pretty sure that what you just heard was the sound of a particularly large instantaneous combustion, and that, therefore, the assailant is a skilled Fire mage.
Do you want to investigate the noises? You're pretty sure the Fire mage and his screaming opponent aren't too far - just a hundred or so steps away.

Vira giggled, the room swaying slightly around her.

"You're on!" she said, the man swaying towards her and then away with the room. She felt like saying something clever afterwards, but settled for giggling again.

[First Impression: 4] You answer the stranger's challenge quite articulately, albeit with ominous cackling instead of giggling. He looks at you, obviously doubting his own decision, but then signals to the serving girl and hands her a pile of coins:
Stranger: "Bring us eighteen shots of whiskey. Pronto!"
Twelve shots in total makes... er... six shots each? Oh, wait, the serving girl isn't drinking. Nine shots, then. You bet you can handle them anyway!

Soon, the shots are on the table, each of them filled with yellow, slightly foul-smelling liquid. Hmph. Doesn't smell like beer at all. Nevertheless, a challenge is a challenge, and the first fourteen shots go down without any trouble. The stranger starts to sway on his chair and blink rapidly, and you feel a need to lie down yourself.
[Stra/Fortitude: 1] The stranger downs his drink in one gulp... and falls of the chair with a thud, dropping his shot glass to the floor and hitting his head in the process.
[Vira/Fortitude: 5+1; 2] You take your time to finish the victory drink, but eventually you're done with it too. Whoa, you're so drunk! You gently put your shot glass on the table... and decide it is time to finally get some sleep. The last thing you hear is the whole tavern chanting your name.

You have lost consciousness, but won the challenge. Isn't that nice?

Vira: Unconscious.
Trait added: Notorious Drunkard.

Spoiler: IronyOwl/Vira (click to show/hide)

Ardimis attempts to create a simple spell. 'Spark', it does what its name implies, creates a spark, for lighting candles or small fires. He uses the spell to light a near by candle on fire, showing his specialty to the adventurers. He approaches them, whether or not the spell creation succeeds.

"So. I take it you have a need for me?", Ardimis asks, barely containing his excitement.

[Spellcrafting: 3] Such a spell takes no time to compose, and soon you emerge with a candle-lighting cantrip. It won't really work on anything that can't be set on fire with a burning wick, but at least it won't incinerate anything in an unsafe manner. [Casting: 5] With a snap of your fingers, you ignite all the candles you see. The adventurers look at each other and the burly one calls you to the table.
Ardimis: "So. I take it you have a need for me?"
Burly: "Aye. We've got a contract on some filth in the sewers, an' we need a mage to back us up. The pay is one hundred gold each, plus we split the loot. More info when we're on our way. You in?"
Seeing no reason to refuse, you say that you're in, and the three of you walk out into the rain.

After a short walk and a descent into the sewers - this particular section looks like it hadn't been maintained in years - the burly man motions you to stop, listens carefully for a while and turns to you, whispering:
Burly: "Alright, here's the deal. Some scumbag kidnapped our client's daughter from her own room at night. No ransom notes, no leads, no nothing: she just disappeared, and there were dirty footprints all over the room. So our client, being a rich-ass noble and all, went to a scryer and paid a lump sum for her location. The scryer pointed right here, but the Guard refused to raid this place - they 'don't work on a fortune-teller's word', the lazy bastards. So he went and hired me to get her back as fast as possible; I, in turn, hired you two as backup. Any questions before we start?"
The lanky guy raises a finger:
Lanky: "Only one. How many kidnappers?"
Burly: "I figure it's two, maybe three of these scumbags, one of them a mage. No witnesses, no dead bodies, nothing stolen aside from the girl, only one set of footprints in the room... a job this smooth can't involve more than two people. And no, it couldn't be a gang work - gangs don't kidnap nobles' daughters without a ransom in mind. Anything else?"

Spoiler: Orb/Ardimis Maximus (click to show/hide)

Use Stone Shape on the grate to make it passable before shaping it back.

Then, spellcraft a water spell in attempts to avoid the negatives of traversing the sewers.

[Spellcrafting: 3] You throw together a water-repulsion spell in case you have to wade through the City's refuse, though you shouldn't exactly be worried about anything like that: most of the sewers' sections have stone walkways adorning the sides, although the City's officials prefer to ignore such weird architecture. This is mostly because a major part of the Sewers is in constant use by criminals, so the whole sewer system is about as chaotic as a place can get within centuries upon centuries of innumerable Earth mages making shortcuts, digging smuggling passages leading outside the city, fortifying their respective bosses' lairs and trying to outwit each other in an occasional gang war.

[Stone Shaping: 4] The landing-in-fetid-water issue taken care of, you can have no fear jumping into the sewers now. You bend the grate into a short ladder downwards, descend with its help and put it back together. Hmm... it seems you haven't reconstructed the grate perfectly - an expert would recognize the signs of tampering - but it's good enough to hold off anyone who's not a mage.

You are now in the sewers. You are standing on a stone border framing the stream of liquid refuse that flows down to join forces with a primary channel - an entire river of rotting matter flowing into one of the City's sewage recyclers. Judging by the state of this particular branch of sewers, you've woken up somewhere in the City's slums - only the poor districts' sections could fall into such disrepair as to have chunks of stone fall out of the walls.

In front of you, about two dozen steps away, a turn to the right can be seen. The only other thing of note is a pretty big hole some rats dug out in a wall directly to your left; however, you can't see nor hear anything coming from the hole.

"Tax collector, huh? Let's see your license."
If he doesn't show a license, or tries to kill me, lash then stab.

[Persuasion: 6; 2]
'Tax Collector': "I offer a service of not chopping you into pieces - there's no license for that, the last time I checked. You pissed me off, though, so you'll die extra painf- AAUGH!"
[Mehr/Spellcasting, Lv2: 5] You cut him short with a Lash. The spell lands squarely upon his cheek, blowing up most of the scar tissue and a bit from his nose as well. A loud sound like a whipcrack snaps through the air and echoes from the buildings: that's a tell-tale sign of an instantaneous combustion, the easiest and most potent form of combat magic in the school of Fire. The 'tax collector' falls down, hollering obscenities and death threats at you, and you move in for a killing blow.
[Mehr/Coup de Grace: 1] You, however, have to forget all about finishing the bastard when he grabs your sword hand, pulls you on the ground and tries to plunge his knife into your ribs.
[TaxC/Counterattack, Lv1: 1] His sudden movement, however, seems to have upset the wound and, instead of finishing the strike, his hand drops to the ground limply with another scream. This time, the scream has no obscenities in it - it's just pure, unadulterated agony now.

Speaking of agony, you feel it too. Your head is bursting with pain now, and you feel like you're going to vomit again. Something tells you to lie still in the cold, cold rain and wait until that damned headache gets weaker.

Tax Collector: Level 3 Wound Inflicted. Will Die In Three Turns. Unconscious.
Mehrik: The Hangover has come. -1 to doing anything fast, requires a succesful Level 2 or higher Natural Regeneration roll to heal.

Spoiler: Spinal_Taper/Mehrik (click to show/hide)

"Forgive me my dear Lady Raven, I did not wish to disturb your angelic rest-such a radiant sight, I would surely find myself cursed by the Gods for ruining purposefully.

Tell me, my Lady, what of our last night do you recall? I scarce remember much else but your eyes of most brilliant Emerald, beguiling me with their Siren Song."
He said, chancing another look into them.

Lady Raven: "I recall the night perfectly, dear Songbird. I wasn't the drunken one, after all. Now, get closer and you can ask me all about it..."
You lie onto the bed and embrace her by her beautifully slender waist, bringing your lips to her ear. Before you can even think of your first question, you hear yourself whispering:
Del Vundi: "Tell me... who are you?"
Your whisper sounded slightly alien to yourself, but your Lady's smile widens, showing her pearl-white, perfect teeth:
Lady Raven: "Oh, my dear Songbird, there are many answers to that question. If only you knew some of the names your kind gave me - 'warlock', 'renegade', 'dirty witch', 'slut'... But the name you gave me is one that I like the most. Know me as Raven, a black-haired, ever-living mistress of forbidden wisdom. But don't you want to know about this ring on your hand?"
You feel a compulsion to talk before you think again; your mouth opens and another silky whisper finds its way out:
Del Vundi: "What of the ring, my Lady?"
Lady Raven: "This engagement ring is your cage, like it is for all men; however, my dear Songbird, in your case it's a little more literal than the tradition dictates. Look..."
She takes her right hand from under the pillow. It looks just like her left hand, the skin every bit as beautifully white and clean, but there is a little detail: her ring finger bears on it a stack of five thin golden rings.
Lady Raven: "...At these rings. Each of them gives me the power over those who wear their twins; and that ring on your finger is the twin of the newest one on my hand. Allow me to demonstrate. Stand up. Now on your knees! Search your sack! Take the box and bring it to my bed."
Your body does all these things and you cannot think of resisting them. It's almost as if a daze took over your mind and you did these things automatically, without even considering whether you want to. What an unpleasant sensation.

You don't know how the box got into your rucksack in the first place, but you're willing to bet Raven put it there. Within the box are a pair of tight green gloves and a black leather bundle, resembling in shape a book, gift-wrapped with a red silk ribbon. On the bottom of the box, covered by the bundle, is an approximate map of the City with three red dots on it, each marked with numbers 1 to 3.
Lady Raven: "Your first task is to bring a gift to a certain Marie Linnens, an old friend of mine studying the magic of Far East. You will bring the bundle directly to her; do not allow anyone else carry it, for the book contained within is a fickle one and does not tolerate unrefined people. If Marie asks who the gift is from, say that the Duchess sends her regards. Once you're done, return here for your reward."

Spoiler: Dwarmin/Del Vundi (click to show/hide)

MINOR NOTES: 1) Tweaked a few spells. Tweaks are mostly beneficial.
2) The turn is, despite large amounts of polishing, still pretty raw. There's probably a ton of minor plot holes, snips of text missing and crimes against literary standards spread across the text.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:03:53 am by HmH »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2012, 02:56:42 pm »

Sneak up on the whip noise, and see if I can't devise a spell to improve a human livers effectiveness tenfold on the way.

(This would make one resistant to toxins. I'd imagine if it was successful I could drink sewer water with no ill effects. Also no hangovers ever again.)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »

"Yes, Lady Raven. I will do as you ask, my Love." Del said, bowing at the waist as he felt she wanted him to do-he felt he could do nothing but what she wanted. Unable to resist the compulsion-the ring, and the woman. He thought he might have been able to resist one, or the other alone...

But together? The cage was strong as steel.

He had to give her credit. Lady Raven couldn't have chosen a better mark than someone like him-the Ring merely played on his natural instincts, to protect, to nurture, to covet. Mercy...even as he inwardly fought against the magic holding him in thrall (unsuccessfully), his senses still longed for her body, her gaze, her approval...her love.

Even if all those things were illusions, they felt real.

This was not good. But a small part of him-a tiny part-still held strong. It told him to be patient. She needed him, for now. If he was smart...there might be a way out of the cage he had gotten himself in. Maybe.

Del though these things as he quickly dressed, gathering his his equipment, smiling blankly-wondering if the Lady could read his thoughts like a book, and how it pleased him, to mayhaps amuse her with his little plots and strategems...a Songbird may dream of escape during the day, but in the night, he only knows how to sing for his Mistresses pleasure...eventually, he stops dreaming of escape, and accepts his reality-that he was made to sing, and it's all he'll ever do...or ever want to do. These thoughts made Del afraid for himself.

Annoying, pointless, time wasting thoughts aside-he had to get to work. He had a job to do, after all. Lady Raven demanded it.

Del flipped his long hood over his head, shielding his eyes. He tipped his hat to the Lady, savoring and hating her in equal measure. Then he went out into the storm.

Action: Gather up my equipment and the box, head off in the direction of Marie Linnen with no delay.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16