Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Staggering Wizards RTD: Turn 7: Saving Lives of Rats and Renegades  (Read 20725 times)

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
Re: Staggering Wizards RTD: Join Now!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 03:19:08 am »

I would've gone Flesh/Soul and been a Grand Scientist, but someone is already using that combination.

Actually, I know what I'll do. MAKE GOLEMS! Errbody gunna change.

I'll probably change the character too, a bit.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:21:11 am by Talarion »
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 03:41:38 am »

@Spinal_Taper:
Yes. It doesn't matter which skill you concentrated on more in your studies: you still had to read and read and read to graduate as an Air mage. On a bright note, Air Magic gives you a +1 to Lore-based rolls, such as Detect Weakness and Identify. A good Detect Weakness roll will be vital to defeating bosses quickly, so Lore will, in fact, be useful.

@Orb:
If it is a vital part of your character, then leave the Fire Magic in: a superhero must be destructive, after all. My plea was mostly directed to people who have picked Fire Magic for gameplay reasons.

Speaking of which, I believe I owe the players an explanation regarding the balance of the magical schools. The primary difference gameplay-wise is that high-level Fire spells have +Wounds and high-level Water spells have debilitating side-effects. The Water's versatility outside of combat is offset by the fact that Fire is more effective at killing undead.
Likewise, Earth is a narrow school with a few powerful, universal applications such as raising a wall(Level 3 for a wall as tall as yourself, Level 1 for a waist-high one) or rolling a boulder(all Levels, equivalent to a mundane attack) at your enemies, while Air is a vast array of relatively exotic spells covering everything from summoning lightning(Level 4) to arrow deflection(Level 1) to turning your enemy into a magnet for birds(Level 2) to blowing the dust from a Dust Thrall's skin(Level 0). The Earth's raw power is offset by the fact that the adepts of Air have a +1 to finding their foes' weak points.

@Talarion:
Yep. Except Soul Magic isn't as powerful as you think it is: pretty much every combat application of that school is taboo. The few legal spells result in literal-minded golems that require supervision to function properly, and if you get caught casting taboo spells, the City Guard will execute you on the spot while the citizens cheer them on.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 03:56:17 am »

Waitlisting. This seems pretty cool. :D
Name: Artr Arctus
Bio: A young wizard, Artr is thin, quiet, and unkempt. He prefers his solitude, but can be more outspoken when the mood strikes him.
Suppressed desire: A desperate need for peace and quiet.
Apprentice Skill: Air
Novice Skill: Water
Trait: Well-read/Bookworm, Articulate/Clumsy
Inventory: Thick glasses, drab blue and green robe, a waterskin full of water, and a thick tome entitled "The Sky's No Limit: An excerpt on Air Magic"

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 03:57:34 am »

So. Should I not use Soul Magic, then?
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 04:24:44 am »

So. Should I not use Soul Magic, then?
You should if you want a golem to haul your loot, to scare off the robbers, to act as a portable torture rack. However, constructs with artificial souls become more and more difficult to control as their numbers grow; therefore, an army of golems or undead is virtually useless to you.

UPD: In-universe, Soul constructs are valued not only for their fortitude, but also for their ability to tirelessly perform the same action over and over. Constructs are often used for jobs such as guarding, house-cleaning, heavy lifting and serving as 'living' power sources for various machines.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:36:07 am by HmH »

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 04:35:04 am »

So. Making a (near) unstoppable machine of war isn't an option? This makes me sad. I'll go with something more conventional then. I'll build cities. I shall be known as...  the ARCHITECT!

What more do you need?

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 10:39:03 am »

Posting to watch, and possibly wait-list if I feel like it in the morning
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 11:05:40 am »

If everyone is changing i'll keep my guy as he is, to cover the fire death.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 11:22:36 am »

Alright, I edited my character a little bit. Is that better for now?

And I'm not picking water magic because it sounds too damn confusing.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 03:02:24 pm »

Interesting. Waitlist me - character will likely be  added to this post within the next 30 minutes.now.

Name: Clanah Shy (Female)
Bio: When she was younger she enjoyed watching the guy in the smithy work his fires, the ring of the hammer was like music for her.At some point she decided she wanted to become a smith! Sadly she was found to have a talent for water and earth magic, so her parents decided for her that it was time to study those schools.
Desire: Show them they were wrong and become the best smith out there.
Apprentice Skill: Water magic
Novice Skill: Earth Magic
Trait: Silent - +1 to hiding -1 to social actions;Nearsighted - +1 to reading -1 to aiming and sight.
Spoiler: Inventory: (click to show/hide)

Is this ok?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:54:51 pm by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 05:34:40 pm »

Oh what the hell, I'm in.

Spoiler: Cog Anrizkalur (click to show/hide)
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 04:27:04 am »

And I'm not picking water magic because it sounds too damn confusing.
As I understand it, water spells specialize in manipulation of fluids in any way, including the heat transfer out of the liquid.
The raw versatility of both air and water was too good for me to pass up, personally.
They have a huge potential for combat, but it's be very much combo based. Chaining the right spells together in succession could, theoretically, produce even more powerful results overall than a turn by turn blasting of the heavy hitting fire or earth spells.
But that's all theory. Hope I'll get to put it into practice.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:38 am »

Speaking of theory, I sure hope having two support schools doesn't inhibit my ability to not die via killing things.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 06:18:50 am »

@Caerwyn: Yes, that's better, although the 'intelligence' part will get you executed if someone in charge decides that your golem has free will. On the other hand, you, among other things, have a +2 to speechcraft, so I guess one evens out the other.

@hacnslay: No problems here.

@Theifofdreams: Exactly. This universe's mages study not one method of influencing the world through a vaguely-defined element(Water Magic being frosty and moist and Earth Magic causing rock spikes to erupt from the muddy ground), but a whole plethora of spells that influence a certain group of objects: stone, sand and metal for Earth mages, combustible stuff and/or plasma for Fire mages, everything with water in it for Water mages and everything airborne for Air mages.
Because of this, Water mages know how to manipulate water in every way they can imagine, as do Fire mages with fire and Earth mages with rocks, and by 'every way' I mean not only throwing things around, but heating them, cooling them, finding them in the middle of nowhere and shaping them into relatively simple forms.

@IronyOwl: You'll have to improvise, but no, it won't. There are many terrible ways in which Flesh mages can kill someone.

Anyway, one more intro left. After that, I will only need to work out your charsheets and starting spells, which, accounting for how slow I am when writing, will probably take somewhere around eight hours. So, teaser:
- Derm has forgotten to turn his Swag +5 off for the night.
- Irony's witch has rolled a [6; 6; 5] on her Boozing Up roll, which translates to her being drunk at a Substandard Miraculous level. Then I had her roll for consciousness, and she's got a [6; 5] on that one, too, which equates to thinking and acting with supernatural clarity... supernatural for someone that drunk, of course. Hilarity ensues.
- Two people woke up in very nice beds with very nice company. One of them is freaked out by that.
- Only one person ended up in a gutter, but one more woke up side to side with a murder victim, so the rolls weren't a total loss.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:23:42 am by HmH »

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 06:42:33 am »

I knew i shouldn't have put that "unkown address" in my inventory.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16