Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87408 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #555 on: December 04, 2012, 07:28:49 am »

you will be added to the list!
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 04, 2012, 01:51:31 pm »

Ooh! If players are still wanted, sign me up!

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 04, 2012, 06:42:37 pm »

absolutely. your name will be added.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 04, 2012, 08:48:20 pm »

Hurrah! In celebration of my upcoming overseership, I present to you all an engraving of Zavazmadush "The Momentous Pears", the Slate Door.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:50:20 pm by notquitethere »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 05, 2012, 11:18:41 am »

Seriously, though, I looked at the save and Tahu II still has not been issued any new gear. Please either:
A) Issue some new gear, or
B) Build a giant river-blocking machine, using 100s of power units, threatening the lives of dozens of dwarves, just to reclaim a (-steel short sword-), a giant rat bone buckler, and a silver mail shirt.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MiceMiceMice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:35 pm »

Seriously, though, I looked at the save and Tahu II still has not been issued any new gear. Please either:
B) Build a giant river-blocking machine, using 100s of power units, threatening the lives of dozens of dwarves, just to reclaim a (-steel short sword-), a giant rat bone buckler, and a silver mail shirt.

Obviously, choice B is the only option!

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:48 pm »

Obviously, choice B is the only option!

Of course, if it isnt done by my turn, ill go ahead (i havent read through the whole thread yet. Do we have access to magma and/or sand?). Cause draining the river is all well and good, but im thinking a gigantic wall of obsidian is a better solution to damn the river than a simple series of pumps.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 06, 2012, 03:38:20 am »

weve got sand. most of it is aquifer, but weve got it. magma layer has yet to be breached, and witht he military as inadequate as it is and the two FBs in the caverns... one of them with deadly dust...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 06, 2012, 07:34:33 am »

I play with temp off, but does the river freeze over during the winter?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 06, 2012, 07:41:13 am »

weve got sand. most of it is aquifer, but weve got it. magma layer has yet to be breached, and witht he military as inadequate as it is and the two FBs in the caverns... one of them with deadly dust...

Hey, ive built a 150 Z Level magma pump out of wood and glass (wood for the fuel), glass for everything else. Sounds like fun (i am assuming that we have ZERO ore, rather than zero useful ore).

What level of ethics would be acceptable for this fort? Should i be using only dwarf power, mechanism-powered constructions, traps, danger rooms (generally in that order). Or should i power the defenses by burning kittens in the furnaces (for decoration).

Ive even made forts before that didnt violate the laws of physics and had a massive magma pump stack (that large of a Z level shaft requires a LOT of river-power, when you use no perpetual motion generators).

Lets see, for the forgotten beasts, im thinking either a nice flooding of the caverns by the aquifer could be possible (and used as a power source), caving in entire sections of the celing to impale it, or just carving a route to the outside and use it to safeguard the entrance (with syndrome dust used as a defense mechanism (say goodbye to woodcutting and caravans)).

yeah... ive tackled some nasty situations in dwarf fortress before...

*Edit: Is it possible to get the cats sick via the dust and use them as the ammo in chemical cat mines?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:42:52 am by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 06, 2012, 01:33:06 pm »

The Life of Gulf the Overseer II: Oversee Harder

'Twas the first of Granite, 44, and The Dwarves of Gateivory all gathered together in the great dining hall to await word
on who would oversee the fortress for the next year. "My good friends!" Brodich, perched upon a table, called out to the crowd.
"Our next overseer is none other than the (cough) MOST ESTEEMED Gulf Ginonmeng!" The hall immediately burst out into applause,
as Gulf was well liked for single-handedly defeating the first goblin invasion (despite Gulf not actually doing anything other
than ordering some other dwarves to destroy the bridges). The only dwarf who took issue to this news, interestingly, was Gulf
himself, though he was too busy crafting (another) masterpiece about how he was quite rudely removed from the position of
militia commander.

"YOU DID WHAT?!" Yelled Gulf, looking up from his work, only to see a grinning Brodich. "I never wanted to be overseer again!
And what do you do, you GO AND MAKE ME OVERSEER AGAIN?!" "Relax Gulf, relax, just make sure the fort doesn't fall apart,
how hard can that be?" Said Brodich, eager to head off one of Gulf's tantrums. "Well, let's just think, shall we? Didn't
you almost flood the entire lower half of the fortress last year?" Gulf growled. Brodich retorted immediately. "That was
because of the so-called "Noble hydration chamber" YOU installed way back on your first stint as overseer! The thing wasn't
watertight!" "Not my fault!" Said Gulf "The miners who build the staircase leading up and out of the NHC made it an up/down
staircase, then some OTHER dumb overseer went and built a whole chamber underneath that staircase! So, the whole "almost
flooding the fort" number was his fault, whoever he was." "Hmm, I guess we will just blame him then, whoever he was. Anyway,
good luck with the whole running the fort thing!" Brodich walked off, leaving Gulf alone to ponder the cruelties of fate.

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 06, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »

The Life of Gulf the Overseer II: Oversee Harder
Part 2

The first order of business on Gulf's mind was, of course, to claim one of the grand bedrooms for himself like a fey dwarf on a workshop and begin construction of a fine tomb to house his finer corpse so that all might remember the glory of Gulf. "BRODICH!" Yelled Gulf, walking down to the library. "Ah, Gulf, I was looking for you!" Brodich called back. "Kivish Doreniton wanted me to tell you that he is now 'bp920091 Doreniton'" Gulf puzzled for a moment. "Hmm, funny name, perhaps we should give everyone designation numbers? Would do better than names, now that I think about it. I could be 'gg 24772' and you would be 'rt 5992-" Brodich cut Gulf off. "So, ah, what did you come down here for?" Gulf smiled. "What do you think about having the miners make me a tomb?" Brodich laughed, leaning back against a nearby wall. "Remember what happened when you had that grand bedroom made for yourself? The very next year Misko came along and took it from you." Gulf growled as his enthusiasm evaporated like a goblin in deep-core lava. "The only way" continued Brodich "To stop anyone from taking your tomb, is to give all the overseers tombs that are just as nice." "Hmm, and then they might be grateful enough not to make me oversee again..." mused Gulf, before bursting  into laughter. "Haha! That's it! Tombs for everyone!" "You mean, tombs for former overseers, right?" "Nay, Tombs for EVERYONE!"  Brodich was aghast. "...everyone?" he said, but Gulf had already gone sprinting out of the library, eager to do whatever he needed to never have to oversee his foolish brethren again.

"The Grave situation in Gateivory is...grave, gentledwarves." Gulf, grinning, looked around the table at the miners (Including the newly rechristened bp920091) and stoneworkers he had gathered from around the fortress to accomplish his great task, expecting them to laugh (none did). "Well, anyway, it isn't good. See, we have four locations we use to inter the dead." said Gulf, pointing to a map. "The largest and oldest one is here, across the dead waterfall, notable for being the resting place of such heroes as Micemicemice, Frontestro and Misko, as well as around sixty-five other dwarves."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Secondly, a mausoleum I may or may not have built in my first term, don't really remember, here, which doesn't house anyone important, but does have fifteen dwarves and one dog."

"A pair of coffin-rooms built near the mayor's bedroom, which is currently home to forty-two dead dwarves, including +!!scientist!!+, TokimiDwarfy, DrunkenCaveOgre, another guy named MiceMiceMice, and another Misko.

"Finally, there is another room on the entry level which holds thirty dwarves, none of whom are particularly remarkable."

"Now, we must do something about all these mass, far-flung graves, which is why I propose the creation of a grand mausoleum, which will contain a tomb for every single dwarf in the fort!" Groans were audible around the table, who wanted to make a tomb for every worthless dwarf? The population was on an upswing, so the miners would have to carve out no less than seventy-eight tombs. "Additionally" continued Gulf, undaunted, "I wish for our overseers to be enshrined in tombs superior to all others!" Well, this was just absurd, thought everyone at the table who was not Gulf, the overseers could be the most worthless dwarves of all! Didn't the last one blow up the pump stack? Undaunted, Gulf presented his plans to the gathering.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 06, 2012, 05:05:16 pm »

I really like how the plans are symmetrical with the pre-existing mausoleum. Keep up the fine work, Overseer Gulf!

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 06, 2012, 11:42:35 pm »

I play with temp off, but does the river freeze over during the winter?

hm. thats an interesting statement, as it brings to my attention that no. it didnt freeze. it also did not snow or rain the entire year I was overseer for the second time. I think someone turned the weather off...

Hey, ive built a 150 Z Level magma pump out of wood and glass (wood for the fuel), glass for everything else. Sounds like fun (i am assuming that we have ZERO ore, rather than zero useful ore).

What level of ethics would be acceptable for this fort? Should i be using only dwarf power, mechanism-powered constructions, traps, danger rooms (generally in that order). Or should i power the defenses by burning kittens in the furnaces (for decoration).

Ive even made forts before that didnt violate the laws of physics and had a massive magma pump stack (that large of a Z level shaft requires a LOT of river-power, when you use no perpetual motion generators).

Lets see, for the forgotten beasts, im thinking either a nice flooding of the caverns by the aquifer could be possible (and used as a power source), caving in entire sections of the celing to impale it, or just carving a route to the outside and use it to safeguard the entrance (with syndrome dust used as a defense mechanism (say goodbye to woodcutting and caravans)).

yeah... ive tackled some nasty situations in dwarf fortress before...

*Edit: Is it possible to get the cats sick via the dust and use them as the ammo in chemical cat mines?

your eagerness is heartening. yes thus map has no ore at all other than candy, and you can do pretty much as you please to power your projects.

DAYUM! thats a lot of graves. I didnt even count the number of dead, though I did notice the huge number of coffins shunted off into random corners of the fort. your mausoleum is gonna be a step up from the great library if you have it engraved as well. gateivory will be a fortress of death and learning! in other words, I like what you've started doing there gulf.

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 07, 2012, 01:31:50 am »

Just finished the year, going to do the write-up tomorrow. There will be fun! So much of it, in fact, that no less than THREE named dwarves get to make use of their new fancy tombs! Will one of them be the founder Brodich? Could it be Mcap or Tahu II, both millitary men in a fort prone to invasion? What if it's Frontestro II, done in by one of his mechanical creations? Is the newcomer bp920091 doomed to die? Has Scientist diagnosed his last patient? Or will it be the current reluctant overseer, Gulf, who is finally given the ultimate escape from his demanding job?

Tune in tomorrow to find out!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 65