Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 65

Author Topic: gateivory, all is silence (CLOSED!)  (Read 87421 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: gateivory, the land without ore (PLAYERS WANTED)
« Reply #540 on: November 30, 2012, 04:29:19 am »

"disgusting humans." thought Brodich, "stupid disgusting creatures." the humans had come in peace to Gateivory for trade, but upon arriving and unpacking their goods, a sudden change came over them and they began packing all the goods back up again. "whats wrong? what are you doing?" asked the mayor, to which the human trader he had addressed answered, "obvious innit? we packin up. got places to be, people to see." wretched humans. Brodich prefered it when his fellow dwarves had been crushing their skulls with hammer an slicing their limbs with blades. He decided he would show these humans. recently, the mechanics of gateivory, aka everyone, had rebuilt all the broken pumps in the water tower. Brodich was pleased by the familiar resistance of the lever being pulled, but was quickly confused when the tower did not instantly jutter to life.

the lich shook his head. "not enough power you twit." it spoke aloud. the lich had other fish to fry in the fort, a dwarf had gone unnoticed. this dwarf had been possessed and the lich recognized the spirit that inhabited him. it was the first frontestro. he was quickly losing his patiance while waiting for green glass and thread to be made, and would soon snap. if the glass was found, which it wouldent, an artifact of great power could be made. if it wasnt, which it would not, the dwarf frontestro the first had possessed would be driven insane by the punishing spirit. the lich waited to see what would happen, looking with approval at the steel pick this glassmaker had at hand.

ooc
gulfs turn is rapidly appraoching. this is fine, I have nothing to do tomorrow, so expect the end of this turn then. we are into mid-late autumn.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 30, 2012, 09:09:03 am »

Havent had too much to do at work today and this has been awesome to read!

Happy friday and cheers guys! Pics are always welcome though
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:36:52 am by Mudcrab »

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #542 on: November 30, 2012, 11:39:28 am »

This water tower needs more power.
I am still wondering how I got it to pump water years ago, with only those windmills installed.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 30, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »

I got it working again. I had used up all the stone blocks on frivolous paving so I used wooden blocks for the pumps. I also added 8 more windmills to the array. now the windmill array provides a total of 400 power now. also, I turned the tower on and it works fine. engraving goes ahead well, it should be done about winter. I also am doing a lot of finishing work on rough areas of the fort. places where smoothing wasn't finished.

sorry about the lack of pictures mudcrab, Im just not up to it. Ill have a few in my last post though.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 30, 2012, 05:19:57 pm »

Can I get a turn?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 30, 2012, 06:19:43 pm »

I hope this can turn more into a story fort. I will look in legends mode about that dracolich. I didn't realize that Tahu II's last name was Copperwar. Lots of unrelated thoughts in my head right now. I accidently ingested a large bottle of geeric Red Bull. Reeeeeeealy hyper right now.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 30, 2012, 06:20:05 pm »

I hope this can turn more into a story fort. I will look in legends mode about that dracolich. I didn't realize that Tahu II's last name was Copperwar. Lots of unrelated thoughts in my head right now. I accidently ingested a large bottle of geeric Red Bull. Reeeeeeealy hyper right now.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 01, 2012, 12:23:29 am »

ok my turn is complete. uploading the save to dropbox now.

Brodich lifted his head from his desk. "what now..." he said as the mayor entered his office. "another dwarf is tantruming. seems we don have enough clothes around here. I tell you Brodich, its not a pleasant sight. unhappy dwarf punching other unhappy dwarves with his wing-wang flapping in the breeze." Brodich frowned. "I didnt need to hear that. hows the water tower holding up?" brodich had noticed a strange creaking coming from the towers pump stack shortly after turning the thing off. "the mechanics cant figure out what the problem is." Brodichs frown deepened. "of course not you fool, none of them are mechanics. get frontestro up there to take a look. he is a legend of mechanics." the mayor bowed and left. Brodich rubbed his head and decided a walk on the bridge in front of the waterfall would do him some good. It didnt though. he looked across the gap towards where the once proud falls once poured and saw only smooth stone floodgates. he grabbed a passing dwarf, "hook these damned gate up to a lever. I want the falls flowing again."

The abyss is a boring place, but this gateivory place had made life a little less dull for the lich. the window was showing him what would soon be a disaster. first, it showed the water towers pumpstack, and the groaning creeping pumps. second, it showed the water pouring from the tower onto a bridge. a bridge that very soon would see traffic from the mountain homes. He also saw what dwelled in the caverns below. a huge furry rattlesnake had recently taken up residence beneath the fort. interesting, but not impressive. he turned his attention to what would happen first.

"Brodich! trouble!" Brodich turned, frightened? "is it goblins? how many?"
"no sir, its the merchants they are here! an the water tower hasnt been turned off!"
"oh bollocks." Brodich thought. he ran, hoping to cut off the merchants, but as he passed by the depot, he saw that many of them had already arrived.

meanwhile the lich laughed. never before had he seen such a strange sight. three wagons, floating in the air above the canyon of gatevory. the merchants in them looking terrified and the oxen and horses nervous and confused. it would be a real laugh when gravity kicked in, which it did not for a full week. when it did though, they fell suddenly, and quietly. the only evidence of their existence was a pile of shattered wagon parts, and a bronze minecart floating gently on the smooth river surface.

Brodich wasn't happy. his library was complete but he had been informed that the pump stack would soon collapse. why, even frontestro did not know. one day, the stack simply gave one great groan and exploded violently. Brodich was sick and tired. he had given it his all, but it hadnt been enough. the liason had informed him that while his task of engraving had been completed, he still had not done enough. "a great show of affection for the king would be good." he said, "but your term as overseer will soon end, and you have no time. maybe one of your contemporaries will do it for you."

the lich had overstepped his boundaries. what had he done? simply reaching through the window and touching the mind of one dwarf was no crime was it? he had whispered secrets and orders to them had he not? bah, so what if the dwarf he had touched had gone insane an had to be locked in his room? so what if the dwarf he touched had been a decently trained military dwarf equipped in good armor? bah, the gods were fickle. the lich guessed that they did not like that kind of involvement. he shook his head and moved away from the now dark window.

the library is complete. the tower WAS complete, but it just fell apart for some reason. I reset the clothing industry, reset all the dwarf job names, started on a road, used up hundreds of stone blocks and doors. I saw no goblins, and the humans seem to be peaceful again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it is now Gulfs turn. LONG LIVE GATEIVORY.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/el3xpnqlv20ljov/GATEIVORY10.zip

oh also, scruffy has been added to the list.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:27:01 am by saltmummy626 »

Gulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 01, 2012, 02:20:47 pm »

AND SO IT BEGINS.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #549 on: December 02, 2012, 01:47:30 am »

Such a nice library! Impressive!

Such a shame about the watertower.
At least we saw its potential in action with the dwarven traders.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 02, 2012, 03:20:28 am »

indeed, if water can make wagons show a complete disregard for the laws of gravity, think what magma could do!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 03, 2012, 10:57:11 am »

Tahu sighed. Ever since his namesake, the first real military leader of Gateivory, had fallen from the bridge, he had been depressed. The burden of militia commander had fallen on him. The holy relics that were the right of the military leader sat on the bottom of the river, thousands of feet below. The impossible bureaucracy of the thing was, these were still the only things issued to him. The sword, shirt, and shield of his namesake, which were reissued to him, still sat unmoving beneath the river. He sat watching for a while. They still showed no inclination of getting up and walking back to the fort. Suddenly he stopped, and blinked. He must be straining his eyes. It almost looked like...
No, it was in fact the ghost of one of the drowned soldiers. A chill ran down his spine as he realized that this ghost was still going through the motions of fighting, apparently with one of the dead goblins.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 03, 2012, 03:00:48 pm »

sounds fun, ill take a term as an overseer if you are still looking for more overseers.

go ahead and dwarf me if you have spots open as well. Anything besides farmer, fisher, or animal caretaker.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 03, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »

aya, always need new players. you will be added to the turn list.

MinethatCrackers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 03, 2012, 06:31:24 pm »

Totally in for a turn. PM me when its time.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 65