Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Terrifying Evil Desert Reclaim  (Read 9607 times)

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying Evil Desert Reclaim
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »

We're up to our 5th Reclaim and 1 Dead Adventurer?

By now you must have a site littered in corpses, I'd think it is probably time to pick a new site - learning from your previous mistakes to try again.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 12:43:17 pm »

We're up to our 5th Reclaim and 1 Dead Adventurer?

By now you must have a site littered in corpses, I'd think it is probably time to pick a new site - learning from your previous mistakes to try again.

The Adventurer died miles away.
I am NOT giving up the fort.
Magnetite, flux, and tetrahedrite only about z-3 is too good to miss.
That's as far as I got.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 02:45:36 pm »

You could just regen the world and keep a fresh copy just in case this happens again...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 02:58:19 pm »

No idea if this will work quick enough: Start with 7 miners and 7 picks, mine channels 2z levels deep round the wagon then dig off to one side and wall yourself in, dig below the 3rd z level and make the wagon cave in, to get food and booze.

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »

No idea if this will work quick enough: Start with 7 miners and 7 picks, mine channels 2z levels deep round the wagon then dig off to one side and wall yourself in, dig below the 3rd z level and make the wagon cave in, to get food and booze.

You can cave the wagon in!?

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 05:51:13 pm »

Well you can cave in the ground under it, I would expect it to deconstruct and fall with its contents.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:41 pm »

Kibstable has the right idea, but isn't quite the best plan.

The most reliable plan for an initial defense is to dig a 1 z-level deep moat, and remove the channels from all but one tile (the "entrance").  The zombies won't intentionally drop down the "cliff" and you then have time to get safely underground.

If you bring two miners with at least Competent Mining, it shouldn't take more than a day, game time, to dig the channel and remove the ramps.  If you remove all the ramps, then dig an upward ramp into the center you'll be able to get them out, but will have a way for stuff that falls in to get in as well.  Not as bad as it sounds if you brought some wood (or better boulders to be turned into blocks) for a wall.  An 11x11 moat would allow a wall requiring 38 blocks (10 stones).  Rock Craft quality stone is usualy 3 pts per boulder, so 30 embark points for 10 boulders.  Add some wood (or deconstruct the wagon) to build the mason shop, and crank out the blocks while the miners dig the moat.  Four hammer dwarves to provide close support and you should be able to secure an 11x11 tile area of the surface in relatively short order.  Don't forget their shields.

I haven't actually tried this, however, so I may be missing some bit of info that makes this more difficult.  It is, however, what I would try in your situation.

Oh, and bonus Dwarf Points for the dwarven-tenacity to stick to your site and get a fortress built.  Once you manage it, you will be justifiably proud of your accomplishments. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 12:01:29 am »

Another thing to try: bring with you at least one construction material (logs, blocks, etc) and build a downward stair immediately. Once it's built, have a miner dig an upward stair below it. Dig out a chamber for your dwarves and materials, move everything inside, then deconstruct the downward stair. You now have a fortress that is completely sealed away from the rest of the world.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 03:48:57 am »

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I'm sending a vampire adventurer to deliver supplies/ harm zombies.
What is better: x's dwarf corpse or x's right arm, left arm, head, etc?

EDIT:
Oh,  and I'm bringing wood anyway, this IS a desert.

Other EDIT:
The adventurer made it, butchered the animals, and simply hacked the dwarves to bits.
Now a legendary shield user/ fighter / superdwarven Strength/ agility/ kinesthetic/ spatial awareness, I decide to have him go to the nearest mountainhome and retire. Literally a couple of game hours later, he finds a shrine, and gets his head bitten off by a sand Titan. (darn webs!)
Despite the finely- crafted iron helm.
So the fort will go ahead, and carvings will be made in his honour.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:19:05 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 07:17:23 am »

Reclaim 6: *Almost* completes krenshala's plan.
Reclaim 6 cancels finish wall: interrupted by vomit causing rain and zombie barn owl men.
Reclaim 6 Hammerdwarves: *Almost* save the day.
Reclaim 6 has been struck down.

Darn.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 08:15:16 am »

A roof! I forgot about a roof! :(

Armok-be-damned flappies.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 08:47:01 am »

YES!!!! YES!!!!!!
Built a moat, building a wall, and no sign of the barn owl people!
The only casualty was a hammerdwarf who selflessly ran off after a left hand bone, and didn't die on the Island!
Now I just have to stop these stupid ghosts....

EDIT: Help!
There's a skeleton on the other side of the moat scaring everyone off when they try to build the wall to block line of sight.
And all of the supplies are still up there, so how do I stop the dwarves dying of starvation/ thirst??
I don't want to send the Hammerdwarves out to smash it in case they get swarmed.

EDIT 2:
The skeleton ran off (finally). I'm making a crossbow in case this happens again.
EDIT 3: It's happening again.
This time it's stopping them from eating.
Or getting wood to make the x-bow.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:35:31 am by TopHat »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 09:54:01 am »

And thus, everyone was starving, dehydrated, and miserable, and failed to fend off the barn owl people zombies, who came back and mercifully saved them of a slow death by starving/ dehydration.

The only consolation is that the bodies are trapped on an island, not to kill the next reclaim party.

Double Drat.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:20 am »

And thus, everyone was starving, dehydrated, and miserable, and failed to fend off the barn owl people zombies, who came back and mercifully saved them of a slow death by starving/ dehydration.

The only consolation is that the bodies are trapped on an island, not to kill the next reclaim party.

Double Drat.
On the bright side, you've pretty much got the minimal defenses completed now. ;)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 10:01:10 am »

Double Drat.
On the bright side, you've pretty much got the minimal defenses completed now. ;)
KEY WORDS: Bodies. Trapped. On. Island.
Looks like time to build new defences.
I'm bringing a marksdwarf next time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5