Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 111

Author Topic: You are King III: OOC thread  (Read 92252 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: OOC thread
« Reply #1020 on: September 01, 2012, 08:58:05 am »

More turns in a bit, and a quest for Nuke and followers to undertake.  Sorry, Messiah, but I'm forcing you to make this into a bigger communal quest (which I know you would anyway).  :D

The spreadsheet auto-saves, Tir, that's the beauty of Google.

Armour and weapon bonuses are an interesting mechanic in YaK.  It is assumed that PCs who go out fighting or adventuring always have a weapon (+1) and armour (+1), and no distinction is made between light leather and thick chainmail on the armour bonus.  The reason for this is because you will sometimes come across NPC mooks who aren't as well kitted-out and also because it means that if a player is caught unprepared (e.g. while sleeping, without armour or weapon) they are at a disadvantage.

Mechanical bonuses on top of that are more expensive.  As a general rule heavy armour (+2 Armour, -1 to movement-related skills) and masterwork weapons (+2 weapon) both cost 1 ducat, while masterwork armour (+2 Armour, no skill penalties) costs 2 ducats.  This seems and is incredibly expensive for a personal item, given that 1 ducat will hire an entire regiment of infantry, but such items do not require upkeep and convey a significant advantage in battle.

Consider a normal fighter with weapon and armour but no skill (+2) vs a guy with masterwork weapon, heavy armour and training (+5).  The other guy is going to win something like 50% more of the time, and that only cost him 2 ducats.

Skills effectively separate into combat and utility skills: Weapon, armour use and dodging skills all give bonuses to personal combat under the right circumstances (i.e. having said weapon or armour/shield, having free movement).  Skills like Tactics and Battle Command give bonuses during combat on the unit scale.  Skills like Metalcrafting, Charisma/Diplomacy/Moustache, Trapping, Tracking, Acrobatics and History all have specific uses within the game.  For example, my character Fust uses his History skill to research things, but Acrobatics to leap across buildings.  Talinth (a blacksmith knight) can use his Metalcrafting skill to forge some decent armour, or to repair a broken door hinge, fix a broken weapon or jimmy open some manacles because he knows how they're made.

This is always subject to change and moderation by GMs, of course.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 01, 2012, 10:18:59 am »

So far it's fine Cairon, but I'd like to learn more of your character (your bio is very short) before I let you jump right in.

Fil, you've got Tari's approval, I suppose? Other than that... I don't think we have rapiers yet. They were used mostly in the 1400s-1500s, and we're at most in the 1300s compared to the real world. Still in the age of the sword and shield mix or the two-handed sword.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:18 am »

!

Question my research, would you?

...fine. I'll play your game. Come one, come all. Let it be known that the prophet Jitpau is in search of adventurous individuals. Literacy required. Must be of Blessed blood.
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: September 01, 2012, 10:44:00 am »

!

...fine. I'll play your game. Come one, come all. Let it be known that the prophet Jitpau is in search of adventurous individuals. Literacy required. Must be of Blessed blood.

What, you think you can just waltz into town preaching a new orthodoxy and the clergy will accept it just like that?  And you call yourself a Reader!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 01, 2012, 10:47:27 am »

!

What, you think you can just waltz into town preaching a new orthodoxy and the clergy will accept it just like that?  And you call yourself a Reader!

I think you actually hit the jackpot. If the church was portrayed in a way more similar to the Dark Ages' Catholic Church, the "Messiah" would be burning at the stake by now.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 01, 2012, 10:50:03 am »

*Prods Iituem with a pointy stick.*

Hey, where's my rolls?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: September 01, 2012, 10:55:29 am »

*Prods Iituem with a pointy stick.*

Hey, where's my rolls?

You mean 13th century rolls?

@Dwarmin: How are things going as the King? Windheath looks like it's growing exponentially right now!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:07:56 am by Tiruin »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 01, 2012, 12:09:42 pm »

Name: Rilaeus Emanhild
Bio: The younger brother of Bluaritter, Rilaeus, or Ril, for short, trained his whole life to be as good as his older sister, training on a set of Rapiers since he could stand, and, as a result, he became an expert with them. When his father died, he forfeited his inheritance to his elder sister.
As well as the ties of nobility and upward movement that said inheritance allowed, instead going back to his training and cleverly leaving his sister to politics
Descript: A young, blond man with green eyes. Lithe, toned frame. Usually wearing a white shirt.
Skills:
+1 to combat while dual-wielding rapiers and wearing a white shirt.
+1 to somehow getting into WACKY anime-esque situations.

Noble-born. Blauritter's younger brother.

Fil, rapiers are a very exotic Ralkarian weapon.  The Bravos, on the other hand, duel with combined long and swordshorts.  You could be trained in the Bravo fighting style.

And that skill would be... uh.  +1 to being screwed with by the GMs.  Possibly rethink that.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 01, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »

Hmm, interesting. Now that all the main noble slots, vassal-type PCs are coming in.

I suppose nobody can act as a foreign diplomat or anything? Probably would complicate things.

In other words:

Northwatch -- The first formidable defense against the Haegar.

Our peasants are rich. Our numbers are few. Our military is small and our lords are useless.

In the first year of our Majesty, the King, this all changed...Well, except for our Rangers.

The old guard stands proud, a veritable ward of age and wisdom.

:P

Well, ~12 cold drakes. ~7 more than the last. Anyone who wants to retcon following into the hunt can say so because...Woah, Osir had a lot less drakes and a lot more men to handle this one.

Time to use that +2 to tactics!...and to think about my sheet OOC-ly, I'm quite an underpowered noble! :))

Editedit: How many drakes comprise a 'regiment'? Thinking of...capturing the beauties.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:00:40 pm by Tiruin »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 01, 2012, 12:44:25 pm »

Name: Rilaeus Emanhild
Bio: The younger brother of Bluaritter, Rilaeus, or Ril, for short, trained his whole life to be as good as his older sister. He spent most of his life training with two weapons, one in each hand, and, as a result, fought his best with two weapons. He was tutored in the arts and maths, and....was basically a shut-in. When his father died, he forfeited his inheritance to his elder sister. As well as the ties of nobility and upward movement that said inheritance allowed, instead going back to his training and cleverly leaving his sister to politics
Descript: A young, blond man with green eyes. Lithe, toned frame. Usually wearing a white shirt.
Skills:
+1 to combat when dual-wielding weapons
+1 to somehow getting into WA- charisma.

Noble-born. Blauritter's younger, HALF brother.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:06:59 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 01, 2012, 02:08:22 pm »

Jump right in, Fil.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 01, 2012, 05:06:38 pm »

Hmm, interesting. Now that all the main noble slots, vassal-type PCs are coming in.

I suppose nobody can act as a foreign diplomat or anything? Probably would complicate things.

In other words:

Our peasants are rich. Our numbers are few. Our military is small and our lords are useless.

In the first year of our Majesty, the King, this all changed...Well, except for our Rangers.

Well, ~12 cold drakes. ~7 more than the last. Anyone who wants to retcon following into the hunt can say so because...Woah, Osir had a lot less drakes and a lot more men to handle this one.

Time to use that +2 to tactics!...and to think about my sheet OOC-ly, I'm quite an underpowered noble! :))

Editedit: How many drakes comprise a 'regiment'? Thinking of...capturing the beauties.

I'm technically the closest thing since cript's gone and I'm eventually going on a diplomatic mission north.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 01, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »

Hmmm, capturing drakes? Sounds fun, and I think I would both be able to make money and do something useful with Talinth's time, but I'm in the middle of an investigation. :P
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 01, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »

In other words:

I'm going to say 6 for a regiment.  Of juvenile cold drakes, at that stage of their life.  Fire drakes are their own regiment personally.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 01, 2012, 06:47:49 pm »

6 cold drakes with unknown stats for a regiment.

Given my disposition, and the perhaps unknown terrain yet-obviously-not-open, this will be very fun!

>:D
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 111