Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131568 times)

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Summer 937 AAL
« Reply #765 on: August 26, 2012, 09:15:22 pm »

"Then that is where I shall go."

Follow the directions given to me. write a letter to the Lord of Northwatch, and one for Aveline

Spoiler: letter to Renart (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Letter to Aveline (click to show/hide)

Your letters will naturally arrive (the one to Lord Renart only taking an hour for him to notice), but by the time Aveline receives her you are already well underway.  [6] You discover that the village is indeed along the path given to you.  You also discover that treachery runs in families.  [2] Half a dozen [2] archers spring out of hiding, [6] led by a familiar character, at least.

"You have got to be kidding me.  How gods-damned stupid are you, boy?"

This man should die, no SUFFER at your hands. He stole it

Karas was starting to twitch. not good.

"So this is what you do? Track me down and try and take my posessions? Well, stupid enough to tell you I currently have nothing. There is no point in blackjacking me again. So now what? Do a dishonorable act by killing a boy who si too stupid to avoid the same group twice? Or will you just give me my stuff back so I can continue my duties from the King?"

Situation... Bad. Surrounded by Archers, nothing to give. Three possible decisions. 1. Kill me. Unlikely, given their 'honor'. 2. Drag me away, and enslave me. Most likely. 3. Offer to duel for my posessions back. Only a Ralkarian Assassin would choose this option. least likely"

Karas smiled.

"Or, you could give me my stuff back, and we duel for my freedom and my posessions. The most honorable route. After all, the 'Boy' does want to fight you on even grounds, and either of the two other options laid out for me are less honorable. So come on, show me how Honorable you really are. Give me a fight worthy of the Black Arrows' party leader. You vs me. The fairest possible route, and a chance for a 'boy' to die serving my King. Of course, I would need my stuff, including my blade.

Time for talk with these bastards is over. I will rip his throat out.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 26, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »

This man should die, no SUFFER at your hands. He stole it

Karas was starting to twitch. not good.

"So this is what you do? Track me down and try and take my posessions? Well, stupid enough to tell you I currently have nothing. There is no point in blackjacking me again. So now what? Do a dishonorable act by killing a boy who si too stupid to avoid the same group twice? Or will you just give me my stuff back so I can continue my duties from the King?"

Situation... Bad. Surrounded by Archers, nothing to give. Three possible decisions. 1. Kill me. Unlikely, given their 'honor'. 2. Drag me away, and enslave me. Most likely. 3. Offer to duel for my posessions back. Only a Ralkarian Assassin would choose this option. least likely"

Karas smiled.

"Or, you could give me my stuff back, and we duel for my freedom and my posessions. The most honorable route. After all, the 'Boy' does want to fight you on even grounds, and either of the two other options laid out for me are less honorable. So come on, show me how Honorable you really are. Give me a fight worthy of the Black Arrows' party leader. You vs me. The fairest possible route, and a chance for a 'boy' to die serving my King. Of course, I would need my stuff, including my blade.

Time for talk with these bastards is over. I will rip his throat out.

[2] The bandit bursts into laughter.  "Honour?  We're bandits, lad, not knights!  Killing someone as stupid as you would be a service in itself!"  [?] He chuckles for a moment, then seems to remember something.  He frowns.  "Still, if you insist on doing things honourably... Alright.  You can have your duel, but it won't be with me.  Thane Ulfric will duel you, he's the one who claimed your gear and he's the man in charge.  I warn you, though - he doesn't give quarter."

[1] "We'll lead you to him, sure enough - once you've surrendered your weapon and been bound and blindfolded.  Your choice, kid.  You can still walk away."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 26, 2012, 09:51:51 pm »

KILL THE BASTARDS... No, tact is better here. Walk away. Trust me.

"Fine. I will walk away."

Return to Northwatch... Again.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #768 on: August 27, 2012, 07:54:48 am »

"Is this a normal occurance at a Windheath feast?  Women challenging men to duels?" mocked Remi, relieved at the distraction, Well, tata.  We'll talk more when you come to visit."

Cyril remained silent as his brother-in-law pranced away and began talking to the assymetrical courtier.  He had almost forgotten his intentions on visiting his father-in-law, he still needed to find a proper gift, but that could wait til after the feast.

after the feast, search Stormstead with wife, for a proper gift.  Also visit my uncle and cousin. *on phone, don't wish to search for the post about blacksmiths that mention them*
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 27, 2012, 08:55:13 am »

Survey availiable information on the two foreign monarchs attending at the feast.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:57:20 am by Azthor »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 27, 2012, 11:02:26 am »

Send off the drake parts to the leatherworkers in Stormstead, and make sure that they remember to include a helm made of the drake's head.

Arondson and his associates get to work on the armour with all due haste, taking the drake corpses and 85 ducats in fees.  Come Autumn, you will have a fine set of Heavy Armour made from drakehide and steel backing.  A quick look at the designs sketched up for you by Arondson reveals that the finished helm will look very much as if a drake is eating your head from behind - or roaring at your enemies, if you want to be romantic about it.  [Upgrades your personal combat armour bonus to +2, but at a -1 to all skill checks that require freedom of movement, e.g. Stealth, Acrobatics, Agility.]

"Excuse me, Sir."
Talinth said before turning around and walking outside the inn. He was not yet done, though. Sahainn had apparently made them even more reticent to talk instead of intimidated. It was time to act as a pacient hunter.

Move outside the inn, hide somewhere near and stay on the watch for any suspicious movement along with Sahainn. If a suitable hiding spot isn't found, let Sahainn lead the way to one, worgs are probably better at those things.

[2] You aren't able to find a decent hiding spot, [6] but Sahainn proves a little more adventurous and alerts you to a spot where you could perch on the roof in perfect seclusion - a pair of chimneys that form a deep pool of shadow against the moonlight.  Unfortunately you have to send Sahainn away to hide there, but you still have your wits and your gear about you.

[1] Nothing really happens for the better part of an hour and you find your cursed weariness setting in.  As you drift off to sleep, you suspect that long hours at the forge are starting to tire you out for such night-time escapades.  [5] You are woken by the sound of an argument below, [4+1] and are able to shift around in your spot to get a better view without being seen.  [5] Once again you catch sight of the woman at the feast, though this time she lacks the familiar cloak you saw her in before.  She is arguing with one of the men from the pub, who looks to be a little older and bears a clear family resemblance.  [3] Their voices are a little muffled by intervening rooftop, but you get the gist of it; they appear to be arguing about some sort of lover or husband.  [5] At the height of the argument, the woman draws one of the king's silver goblets out of a bag at her shoulder and thrusts it into the man's hands.

"Well you can bloody well keep it, you-"  Your ears pale slightly at the string of expletives that follow.  Sailors would turn blue with envy at that woman's mouth.  She turns and storms off, tears in her eyes.

[5] "Bohromu's wings, Mary!" shouts the man after her.  "Just give him the letter already!  The kid's more important, you know he'll give her up if you... ah, damn it all to clay."  He shakes his head and trudges back to the inn with the goblet, slipping it into his coat.

[4] You slip back down from the roof and reconvene with Sahainn back at the king's stables (she appears to be gnawing on some beef), musing over what you have seen.

Survey availiable information on the two foreign monarchs attending at the feast.

[2+1] Charles IX, King of Arendalis' character is a bit of a mystery to you and your informants.  He is powerfully charismatic - an expert by birth and training - and is known for treating men with dignity and respect, but his charm masks any indication of the true character behind the statesman.  [4] Charles has a great deal of popular support in Arendalis, but the long war has tired many of his nobles to the point where a very few have entertained defection - such as those whose daughters are marrying Duc Edgard.  [6] Charles is extremely well-connected; he has blood relatives in practically every Adranic kingdom save Windheath and even amongst some of the Altanic nobility, though his three wives are all sisters or daughters of his most powerful Ducs.  His sister is married to William III of Normark and he is actually fighting the long war against his own cousin, king of Donnerstein.

[6+1] William III, King of Normark's character is notoriously well-known to everyone.  He is short-tempered, occasionally violent, belittles those beneath him and barely tolerates his few peers.  He acknowledges nobody as his superior save the very Gods themselves and his sense of pride would put worgs to shame.  Courtiers who have been to his court inform you that negotiations with this man are almost impossible.  [2] The very fierceness of William keeps his own nobility firmly under his heel and he rules with an iron fist in his own country; rebellion in Normark is not unheard of, but the first rebellion he faced he depopulated the county and then razed and salted the fields as a message.  [4] Apart from William's marriage to Charles IX's sister, he has no other wives and his daughters and sisters remain unmarried, [5+1] though you have information from a direct source that he is trying to get his only son to marry Charles IX's eldest daughter with little success.  Apparently the boy is infamous for his womanising and has inherited his father's anger, to the point where Charles is seriously thinking twice about such a union for the sake of his own kin.

Your informants might have more specific information if you ask more specific questions.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 27, 2012, 11:21:14 am »

Fust awaits Esmerelda's decision.

[1+2] She smiled, but there was a small hint of regret in her eyes. When she spoke, she seemed glad, but a little hesitant.

"I would gladly marry you, Fust of Touchstone, but my hands are bound. As a countess, even one without significant lands, my rank is higher than yours; you would not be able to marry again for as long as I live, and [1+2] you would not be my principal husband, either. If I married you, I would no longer be able to marry nobles of higher rank or birth than me - in the long run, this would hurt my family's prestige. [6+2] However, there may be another way. Your family is a noble line, even if it is a ruined one; if you could retrieve your title and become a Count, even a titular one, the laws would no longer be working against us... But until then, for both our sakes, I will not marry you, even though I deeply regret it."

You could see that she was saying the truth - she would have preferred to accept your offer.

[6] "The man who currently owns the Tumblestone lands is the King's brother, Fust. If you could convince him to give you back the title your family owned, my hand would be yours."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:26:02 pm by Shootandrun »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 27, 2012, 03:07:17 pm »

((Busssyyyy. Quick senseless non-rp post!))

Train charisma.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 27, 2012, 04:52:07 pm »

@Dwarmin:

After tapping the worg's head and waiting for Sahainn to finish her food, Talinth once again started to move towards the palace. Apparently, the goblet the woman gave the man was the same Barran gave her. Not only that, the whole scene was suspicious, and he could not help but feel he was missing something.

Maybe the King would be more apt to understand the situation, having in mind his own investigation was probably done by that time. At least hopefully. The knight realized fatigue was probably starting to take its toll after almost nonstop service during the last days - both in the forges and for the King - and it could be around time to recover his energies for a small while after receiving the King's next orders.

Even if his meetings with his liege seemed like giving the latter small puzzle pieces at a time instead of trying to piece the whole scenario together before reporting in, Talinth felt that telling the King about each of his findings was important; if the blacksmith knight was killed pursuing more information instead of doing so, the loss of the information he never disclosed could be prejudicial.

And so he did, seeking the King once more and telling him in detail what he had seen and found out.
"Your Highness, I come with my findings from the day."

Train polearm/ blunt combat (already have a +1). If not applicable, try to craft armor for Sahainn.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:57:05 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 27, 2012, 06:09:46 pm »

Fust awaits Esmerelda's decision.

[1+2] She smiled, but there was a small hint of regret in her eyes. When she spoke, she seemed glad, but a little hesitant.

"I would gladly marry you, Fust of Tumblestone, but my hands are bound. As a countess, even one without significant lands, my rank is higher than yours; you would not be able to marry again for as long as I live, and [1+2] you would not be my principal husband, either. If I married you, I would no longer be able to marry nobles of higher rank or birth than me - in the long run, this would hurt my family's prestige. [6+2] However, there may be another way. Your family is a noble line, even if it is a ruined one; if you could retrieve your title and become a Count, even a titular one, the laws would no longer be working against us... But until then, for both our sakes, I will not marry you, even though I deeply regret it."

You could see that she was saying the truth - she would have preferred to accept your offer.

[6] "The man who currently owns the Tumblestone lands is the King's brother, Fust. If you could convince him to give you back the title your family owned, my hand would be yours."

Fust hung his head, his face shadowed so Esmerelda could not read it.  He said nothing, but reached into the breast of his brocade as if to draw something out... then took his hand away empty.  When he did speak his voice trembled.

"They say miracles come in threes, and Daliochadun help me because I need all three."  Fust drew in a short breath, stood up and smiled as if the sun had come up in the night.  He spread his hands to either side in a shrugging gesture.  "T'would be a miracle to make you a Countess, a miracle to make me a Count, and a miracle to be wedded by your side.  If you will kiss me, my dearest, and tell me that the latter two are only as impossible as the first, then I will try to work miracles as no Fool has tried before.  If you can promise to wait for me, to give me a year and a day to make the sun rise in the night sky, then on the honour of a Fool I will marry you as your equal."

Fust took his love by the arms and kissed her, then waltzed away into the courtyard with a spring in his step.  When he had turned enough corners that he was sure she could not see him, he collapsed against the wall as if he had been punched in the gut.  His breathing grew erratic and he found himself gasping for air, nearly choking on tears that threatened to come.  Ziamdaka take you, Fust, you weren't supposed to get this involved!  He clenched his fists until his nails bit into flesh, trying to get himself together.  After a small eternity, his breath evened out again and he felt he could see the world without a rest mist.  He reached into his brocade and drew out a small scroll, unrolling it and staring coldly at the words and seal within.

By the Decree of Albert Conricht, Rightful King of Windheath.

He hear-bye bequeaths a portion of the Crown Lands and funds (see second page for details) from his own inheritance upon one Esmeralda Drachenmire, and rewards her the Title Duchesse of the Realm.

For the Good of all Windheath and our Kings Grace, his will be done.

Signed and Authorized/Albert Conricht, King
Co-signed and Notarized/Gerome Blue, Junior Treasurer

A tear dripped onto the page, slightly smudging the word 'Realm'.  Fust rolled the scroll back up again and placed it in a tube, returning it to its hiding place in his brocade.  He had wandered into the records department earlier and secured it as a surprise.  It was one of two copies, the copy intended for delivery and announcement.  The second copy remained filed away in the Treasury records for reference - effectively, withholding the first would suppress news of the decree until its release or until someone got especially nosey.

A brazier burned merrily nearby.  Fust thought rashly for a moment of just burning the scroll here and now and being done with.  The worst that would happen would be the King getting his inheritance after all.  Fust quietly cursed himself for the thought; gods-willing there was still a year to try, especially if news about the Duchesse promotion did not leak.

In any case, it was time to change out of this finery.  There was a whole court to fool.  Gods-willing, it would include a Prince to boot.

The Fool returns to the feast and performs the usual juggling and wordplay as entertainment.  [Acrobatics?]
Later, he heads to the royal records department and attempts to discover the exact circumstances surrounding his family's loss of title and Richard's ownership of the lands.  [History]
To distract himself from grief, he also returns to trawling the city for rumours in disguise.  [Rumour]

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 27, 2012, 07:01:03 pm »

Train charisma.

[63323] [+0]

Train polearm/ blunt combat (already have a +1). If not applicable, try to craft armor for Sahainn.
[36265] [-0 (can't go negative]

The Fool returns to the feast and performs the usual juggling and wordplay as entertainment.  [Acrobatics?]
Later, he heads to the royal records department and attempts to discover the exact circumstances surrounding his family's loss of title and Richard's ownership of the lands.  [History]
To distract himself from grief, he also returns to trawling the city for rumours in disguise.  [Rumour]

[3+1] As usual, you receive a generally good reception for your acrobatics, amusing the high ranked lords.

[5+1] You find all the information you could possibly need on what happened to your family's lands. The Touchstone dynasty were vassals of the Greyfield one (who were themselves vassals to the southern kings, who reigned in Altaregia) originated from a minor branch long ago. They owned [6] a substantial amount of land on the southern shore of the Arendalis, and were the Greyfields' most powerful vassals. However, [?] when Geoffroy of Arborvent (who was at the time heir apparent to the Arborvent duchy) joined the side of the Northerners in the war, he conquered Altaregia and brought down the Greyfields with fire and sword. A good half of the Touchstones of the time died on the field on the day the city fell, and the other half was either exiled or summarily executed.

Geoffroy was granted the lands of the Greyfields and Altaregia as a reward for his victories. He then married the Iron Queen in an interesting political marriage which ought to have strengthened the crown by uniting the Arborvents and the Conrichts. However, Geoffroy's father had a second son (the father of Edgar, current Duc of Arborvent) and he split his lands between his two sons in his will. When Geoffroy died from illness sixteen years ago now, the inheritance was left in question. The lands would have probably gone to his brother's son, but there was one child - the Iron Queen's second son, in fact - who looked so much like him (except for the hair, which were his mother's, but apart from that he was a perfect copy) that it was assumed he was Geoffroy's legitimate heir. That son was, of course, Richard.

[1] Although Richard has only been officially ruling for five years, he has enacted multiple land reforms and strengthened his power over his parcels and vassals. The Touchstone lands now entirely belong to him. The [2] two parcels represent a sizable portion of his income - about a fifth, in fact. [5] Of course, you are under the impression that Richard appreciates you as an artist - the gall of your little song at the crowning ceremony impressed him - and does not appear to have any problems with southerner families, it will still probably be very hard to convince him to give back these lands.

[3] You find the following rumors:

• Duc Edgar appears to have secured the marriage of his two sisters with the royal brothers. Although nothing official has happened yet, it will probably take place soon enough.
  • Something has happened between the Duchess of Spirituaser (who received interest from the prince but danced with the king during the feast) and Edgar, leading to the former challenging the latter to a duel, before they were interrupted by their liege who pointed out that they were breaking the king's peace. The dealings between the three were private, but it seems the Duchess has ruined her chances with the king.
  • [5] The Prince is apparently looking for wives. Although he has already two potential brides, he seems to be trying to secure four marriages before the end of the year. Perhaps, with the help of your many skills, you could make a friend out of him?

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 27, 2012, 09:23:20 pm »

At Northwatch... Again

Karas was starting to lose it. they still had his rapier. and they have caught him twice. But he had a plan. It involved trust.

Head to the keep, and speak with Renart

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 28, 2012, 06:54:15 am »

With Harald...

"Well, I understand your concerns. I won't pressure you into more than you have already decided to give. And yes, I would be happy to be you new liege lord."

Edgard smiled.
"Now then, I have a bandit problem and a raider problem, but those can be left for later, once I have soldiers to deal with both. I will go to the capital and ensure that you are not stripped of land or sentenced by the king. after all, I have no use out of a dead vassal. Ah, as a final note, my tax rate is lower than the royal one. If anything ,I might get you a tax refund out of royal treasury. After all, I'm the coin master of the kingdom. I believe that would be all. Anything else you would like to add?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 28, 2012, 07:31:14 am »

Action: The King questions Barran and his high ranking Bravos about the strange going-ons.

[6] The Bravos conduct a swift and thorough search and by the end of the night produce a shifty looking man in a worn brown coat with a ratlike moustache.  Your steward reports that his name is Bran Brown and a notorious petty thief who has only escaped losing hands because to date he has always come up with money to pay a fine instead.  He readily confesses to stealing various minor objects from the castle, [5] in a ragged voice and with the rather pathetic excuse that he needed to feed his family.  The man has obviously been beaten to the point where the bruises are clearly visible where he has tried to hide them under his clothing and there are patches of blood staining the robes.  [5] You interrogate him, asking him to list what he stole and though he mumbles 'silver' and 'pretty things', it is clear he actually has no idea what he is talking about.  [3] The Bravos do not respond much to the interrogation, save to ensure the man makes no effort to escape.  Bran does keep glancing at them, though.

The king frowned regally.

"So, This is the master Thief who so eluded the castle guard and Bravos, one and all?" He asked a bit sarcastically.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 28, 2012, 02:29:51 pm »

Getting no answer from the knight Trent frowned slightly before gritting his teeth as he pushed himself up onto his feet, his head spun and vision blurred for a moment, a side effect of losing so much blood he guessed, and turned to face the group. "Well on we go, stick close together, and be vigilant for anything, if any of you spot a suitable shelter as night grows near tell me and we'll take up there till dawn. We need to keep moving as much as possible after today, from dusk till night and when we rest we keep alternating one hour shifts to watch for anything that would harm us." As Trent spoke he fastened his cape back around him, pulled his cloth mask up to his nose, and his hood down over his face, he felt the pain did did not wish to show it to those with him. Better he hide it till they return to Northwatch.

Move onward, further into Haegar lands towards the troll land.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 101