Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131565 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III: Summer 937 AAL
« Reply #735 on: August 21, 2012, 09:42:05 pm »

Jitpau looks slightly peturbed by Richard's appearance, but quickly recovers.

"An excellent question! For you see, I was visited by the gods not before or after, but DURING the fall! For I was cast from the highest tower, and had my blood been Haeger or Duluk I would've perished on the stones below, a sorry stain on the castle courtyard. But I am Adranic, chosen of the gods, and pious and virtuous! And so THE GODS THEMSELVES reached out and saved me from death! The winds lifted me, and brought me to rest in the moat, where the cold water awakened me to the TRUTH.

And you are right, indeed, to question me! What fool would blindly accept the ramblings of an old man? But you can see me here, in the flesh- living, not dead, blessed by the gods, and I can tell you- I can tell the world- that my revelations are supported by my years of study! Let scepticism melt away, and let the hands of the gods save you! The time of misfortune is at an end! The age of the Blessed People is at hand! Salvation and glory await the pious!"
Long Live United Forenia!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 21, 2012, 09:51:15 pm »

[4] "Very well, prophet. Your story is incredible, and barely unbelievable, but I've read the letters and the reports. You did fall from a tower's window, and you did survive, no matter how many odds were against you. Perhaps you are telling the truth."

Richard believes - with a drop of skepticism - Jitpau's version of the facts

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:02 pm »

Renart observed the tending of his men to those who knew medical care before riding up to Osir, hearing what he had to say.

"Many died here to day, but now the drakes are all dead. A worthy sacrifice and their deaths will be remembered. I be hoping that not too many of your men became horribly injured? In any case, we won't have to worry about these creatures for a while...Now about the bodies, I imagine that you would want some for yourself? You may have one if ya be wanting it."

"Many are injured, but they'd live through it. They were actually proud to ride into battle alongside your men.

"But...this doesn't seem to be the cold drake scourge that I was referring to earlier, through the letters. If you are free within the next months, I'd be glad if you and your people would aid me in purging my lands of other drakes, if any still exist.

"As for the bodies, I'm sure my men would want the drake in commemoration for their fallen. I'm just glad to see the land safe once again."

He listened on as Osir questioned about the plans between his peasantry and his own, about the fair. "How does an Autumnal Feast sound? Leave the details, the peasantry would make their own traditions around it. Other than that, I can't think of anything at the present that requires your attention."

He looked at Osir's men.

"You treat your dead honorably."

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 21, 2012, 11:29:45 pm »

In Northwatch Keep...

"I rewuire a well-balanced sword, a bow and arrows, and some leather armor. Is that clear?" Karas says to the armorer.
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 22, 2012, 02:00:08 am »

((I take it that's sarcasm?))
That sounds like an insult.

"We're different from the rest of the kingdom, but the meaning's the same as any other. Don't begrudge us on that, marquis."

Lightening up, Osir quickly said, "anyway, my men will need some rest before another hunt. I lost four clanlords today and the clans won't want to risk another one anytime soon. Perhaps in the winter or late autumn...I'll be damned well too busy up in the north. Now if you excuse me Renart, I shall be off soon, after some rest. Till another time then, marquis."

Get ridin' home.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 22, 2012, 02:50:19 am »

((I like you already. That was not sarcasm.  :P))

As Osir turned to leave, Renart thought of the man and his surrounding allies.

Haegar?

"Osir!" he called after him. "..."

Perhaps...a Haegar, but he helped clear a potential threat. I wonder how he feels about an alliance?

"Fare thee well, comte."

I wonder how the Prince would react?

In advance, note that there will be a mutual Autumnal feast between the peasantry of Northwatch and...Osir's land

Renart turned away with his steed, finalizing the hunt with a rallying cry back home. Glancing back, he could see Osir's men taking their own leave, back to the north...

I wonder how the King's feast fared?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 22, 2012, 03:07:41 am »

((The Internet lacks a sarcasm metre, a most important feature.))

Returning to Osport, Osir began by commending his men on a job well done, visiting the halls of the slain, and then ordering the smiths and leatherworkers to fashion Osir a set of drakehide armour. The whole set, awesome helmet included. I honestly don't care if the armour has no tangible stat boost, I just want it for the awesome.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 22, 2012, 07:39:23 am »

Trent signaled the other rangers to start moving, and he followed close behind with his bow in his hands and an arrow knocked, ready to shoot anyone who would be his foe. He could see the tension in Tellard's movements, but the fellow soon relaxed as he drew one of his knives out of its sheaths and continued to creep along in the shadows of the wooden crenelations of the wall, seeing him relax Trent turned his eyes to the sights below and began scanning for anything of importance ...

Look for anything important, a richly decorated tent, a keep, or an open door/window leading further in. After finding one began making our way but try to remain hidden. If we are spotted kill the guard as quietly as possible and hide his body for continuing on.

[3] The keep follows a basic motte and bailey design with tents littering the outer bailey, but there is an inner bailey of stone.  A shield painted with a seal and a spear hangs on the wall, but there is only one entrance and it is by a heavy wooden door, [3] flanked by a pair of guards in armour and with swords.  [1] You try to head towards it but run straight into one of the archers on the wall, [1 vs 6] who shouts a warning and smacks Tellard off the wall [1] into the ditch beyond.  You hear a snap as his neck breaks.

[2 vs 1] You step into Tellard's place and gut the man in one smooth motion, throwing him over the edge after your friend, but the damage is done.  Someone starts clanging an alarm bell and there is stirring within the tents.  [2+1 vs 2] You go flat against the platform ringing the walls, dragging Tikath down with you.  The other bowmen shout and pace, trying to find you, but the torches blind them to your position.

Things are going wrong quickly, and you can see armed men emerging from the tents.  How would you like to proceed?

After the dinner, Rusty heads to the Iron Hound for a drink, ordering Kylila back to the manor to guard the Crown of the South. He keeps his eye out for anything strange or suspicious, looking almost desperately for a fight.

[6] You head to the Hound through a series of back streets, in the mood for a fight.  [6] You hear the sounds of several men approaching you from behind and turn to face them... only to hear their fellows flank you from behind.  [4*2] Four men flank you on either side, but you've had time to draw your blade.  They are [3] armed with short knives and clubs, [3] wearing thick leather jerkins and leggings that provide some armour.  [2] They tell you to drop your weapon and fork out your drakes, 'noble swine'.

Elric smiles, before giving a nod, kneeling and setting the blade down, pulling a large golden coin of foreign make from his boot, his hand near the blade as he held it out, ready to grab it back up and bash the flat of it against the first person dumb enough to walk up, straight into their ankles, hopefully knocking them off their feet before springing back up and being ready to fight the others, using non-lethal means, if possible.

You're a practised liar and charismatic, [1+1] but even you aren't quite good enough that one of them falls for such an obvious trick.  The one who spoke sees what you are doing and [5 vs 6] isn't quite quick enough to bring his club down on your head as you snatch the sword and duck out of the way.

Thugs: 8/8hp, Weapon +1, Armour +1, Numbers +1
Rusty: 3/3hp, Weapon +1, Armour +1, Skill +1

[6 vs 4] You try to stand and go for his legs, but the leader clubs you hard in the ribs as you try to manoeuver.  [1 vs 2] A thug tries to grab you from behind, but you spin out of the way in a move vaguely reminiscent of Kylia's fighting style and slash your sword along the side of his unprotected calf.  He goes down screaming and clutching where you nearly hamstringed him.  [2 vs 3] You continue the spin, cutting up the forearm of another thug as he slashes at you with his knife - he drops the blade and runs for it, clearly unused to prey fighting back.  [5 vs 6] The pain in your ribs is starting to fade from shock, but the leader ducks and grabs the fallen knife.  He charges at you with the blade, swinging the club to try and catch you as you dodge, but you feint and step the other way.  Your sword smashes into his knife-hand, cracking the bones.

[2 vs 2] The chief thug swings the club at you in rage, but you narrowly avoid it.  You try and riposte with your longsword, but a jolt of pain from your side causes the stroke to miss.  [1 vs 2] You turn the blade and as the head thug comes in for another blow you smack him hard in the temple.  He drops like a brick.

You turn to face the remaining five thugs, but some of them have already fled.  The rest turn and run rather than face you, dragging their hamstringed fellow with them.  After all your years of fighting, you had started to forget that most people will just run rather than fight to the death.

You tear a bit of the remaining thug's trousers and use them to bind his hands and feet, then roughly dunk his face in the gutter until he wakes up.  If you are in the mood for finding things out, or for a spot of vicious fun, or just to give him a stern warning, he is utterly at your mercy.

Action: The King orders a sweep of the castle after the guests have left. Stocks and valuables are checked to determine if anything was stolen in the night.

Talinth and Sahainn return to the castle hallways after the feast, [6] and although Sahainn is easily able to pick up the scents of many of those who left through unconventional routes, most of them lead to quiet corners and secluded archways.  Talinth actually finds some discarded underwear at one spot and immediately ceases following that lead.  [5] The inventory is more productive.  Several items of silver have been stolen, particularly cutlery and goblets.  Most of them were used in the feast, but some were in other castle rooms in an apparently random pattern.  [2] Unfortunately, visiting the rooms Talinth is not able to determine anything that would help - it seems whoever took the items probably just took them out of opportunity; there is nothing to suggest they were any part of a particular staff in the castle.  [3] The Bravos are fairly co-operative, [6] though Talinth senses an unease about them.  He moves towards the garret he had been to before, but the Bravos keep taking him to other areas to search.  Their distraction is polite and he cannot be absolutely certain it is not just coincidence, but throughout the night he is unable to visit that particular guardhouse.

[4] Sahainn sniffs a goblet similar to the ones stolen and tracks scents through the castle.  She tends to come across other goblets of the same type, but disregards them.  Eventually she leads Talinth out of the castle and to a nearby inn, where she growls softly.  [6] Several men see the worg and immediately shoo both Talinth and Sahainn away with a degree of aggressiveness unexpected even at seeing a worg.  Rather than cause a scene (and because there are about five of said men of varing ages) Talinth draws back to the castle to consider matters.

In Northwatch Keep...

"I require a well-balanced sword, a bow and arrows, and some leather armor. Is that clear?" Karas says to the armorer.

[2] Beggars cannot be choosers, and the Keep is flat out of available armour and weaponry since the new regiment of archers started training.  You are able to get an old sword (paid on credit, since you are one of the King's men), but no armour, bow or ammunition.

[4] You try and find another shop with little luck, but you notice a drunken man by the keep's taproom who looks rather familiar.  For a moment you actually think he is the guide who brought you into the marshes, but his face bears the lines and marks of a different life.  [5] You get the man a drink (Bohromu, the King's credit is good here!) and ask him if he knows the guide who took you out.  He starts crying, and a few drinks later reveals that he is the guide's brother.  You try to offer your condolences for his loss, but he snorts with derision.  He explains that his brother has been 'captured' by bandits before - in fact, three times.  He is certain that his brother has actually been deliberately leading travellers into the hands of the Black Arrows.

You ask him where his brother might be found, [3] and he says he cannot say, but gives you directions to his home village in the marshes.  That is the best he can do for you.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 22, 2012, 11:09:20 am »

Northwatch Marketplace; Post-Osir hunt and King's Summer Feast, Pre-Solstice hunt...

"There you go, lad. Keep the wolf."

After discussing matters with the Captain of his Guard and breaking off from his men, Renart found himself in the vicinity of a haven of smells and food, most of which being pleasing to the senses. Deciding to do the task himself -- as who needed a slave for buying food -- he came upon a lion's deal and haggled his way out from the young keeper, though it was a mutual agreement.

Getting a (messed up) report about the return of the King's Agent from one of his loyal guards, he pondered the situation on whether there was a problem with banditry on the roads out of his lands...No. Not a good idea interfering when resources were scant.

He wondered if the drake he and his men got from Osir's hunt was worth anything at all -- asking nearby.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 22, 2012, 04:49:28 pm »

[3] The Bravos are fairly co-operative, [6] though Talinth senses an unease about them.  He moves towards the garret he had been to before, but the Bravos keep taking him to other areas to search.  Their distraction is polite and he cannot be absolutely certain it is not just coincidence, but throughout the night he is unable to visit that particular guardhouse.

[4] Sahainn sniffs a goblet similar to the ones stolen and tracks scents through the castle.  She tends to come across other goblets of the same type, but disregards them.  Eventually she leads Talinth out of the castle and to a nearby inn, where she growls softly.  [6] Several men see the worg and immediately shoo both Talinth and Sahainn away with a degree of aggressiveness unexpected even at seeing a worg.  Rather than cause a scene (and because there are about five of said men of varing ages) Talinth draws back to the castle to consider matters.

Very strange and hardly practical. Talinth was still curious as to why so many people had left the feast and taken rarely-used routes from the castle only to apparently go back to the main path. Maybe a drunken stupor had caused them to walk out of the party without a clue to where to head to, which seemed a fairly reasonable assumption. Or maybe they had left to have private conversations, which would explain Sahainn indicating the presence of more than one person.

The Bravos also seemed to be cutting off his attempts at investigating the garret he had seen beforehand, and although they are polite, it still created minor suspicions. Even then, the smith supposed the fact probably was part of problems pertaining the Bravos themselves and could be unrelated to the burglary cases. Of course, it would also be properly reported to the King.

Nevertheless, the investigation of the stolen objects bore more fruits; Sahainn had tracked down one of the goblets to a nearby inn and the men close to it seemed exceedingly interested in keeping him away. Normally, people would be afraid of a knight with a worg the size of a horse by his side, but they had been more on aggressive than fearful side. Even if it didn't happen to be the hiding place of the burglars, it could as well be a place which bought stolen goods.

Rubbing Sahainn behind her ears as they made their way through deserted alleys and narrow passages of the city to avoid being seen, the knight could not help but feel he had made some progress. The worg moved by the knight's side even more silently than he did, silent and apparently enjoying the attention. It does not take long and both man and worg reach the palace and gain admittance to talk to the king.

"Your Highness, I have come to report my findings."

Talinth then proceeds to explain in detail - but without unnecessary complication - his findings to the King, including both the occurrences with the Bravos and the matters at the inn.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 22, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »

((-snip-snip-double post.))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:14:43 am by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 22, 2012, 09:08:35 pm »

Trent pushed Darnell back, and spoke "Get Tellard if he's still alive and make a run for it, get to the others and start running for the border, lose them in marshes if they follow and head back to Northwatch to tell them what we saw here. I will try to lead them north, go now this Hunt was not meant for you, forgive me for my foolishness." With that Trent jumped up and loosed an arrow from his bow, he needed to distract them till Darnell had gotten away then it was his task to flee.

Give Darnell my orders then attack the archers closing on us until Darnell has time to escape.

Kestrel_6

• Bay Watcher
  • The goddamn Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 22, 2012, 10:58:23 pm »

In Northwatch Keep...

"I require a well-balanced sword, a bow and arrows, and some leather armor. Is that clear?" Karas says to the armorer.

[2] Beggars cannot be choosers, and the Keep is flat out of available armour and weaponry since the new regiment of archers started training.  You are able to get an old sword (paid on credit, since you are one of the King's men), but no armour, bow or ammunition.

[4] You try and find another shop with little luck, but you notice a drunken man by the keep's taproom who looks rather familiar.  For a moment you actually think he is the guide who brought you into the marshes, but his face bears the lines and marks of a different life.  [5] You get the man a drink (Bohromu, the King's credit is good here!) and ask him if he knows the guide who took you out.  He starts crying, and a few drinks later reveals that he is the guide's brother.  You try to offer your condolences for his loss, but he snorts with derision.  He explains that his brother has been 'captured' by bandits before - in fact, three times.  He is certain that his brother has actually been deliberately leading travellers into the hands of the Black Arrows.

You ask him where his brother might be found, [3] and he says he cannot say, but gives you directions to his home village in the marshes.  That is the best he can do for you.

"Then that is where I shall go."

Follow the directions given to me. write a letter to the Lord of Northwatch, and one for Aveline

Spoiler: letter to Renart (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Letter to Aveline (click to show/hide)
Kestrel, ITS A TRAP! It's luring you into false security! DON'T FALL FOR IT!!
Tomb of Horrors can pretty much be summarized by "ackbar.jpg"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 23, 2012, 05:29:20 pm »

Talinth then proceeds to explain in detail - but without unnecessary complication - his findings to the King, including both the occurrences with the Bravos and the matters at the inn.

The King seems perturbed.

"I'll ask around...get some answers. As for you, I suggest you investigate the Inn. Something odd is going on...

Action: The King questions Barran and his high ranking Bravos about the strange going-ons.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 23, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

"I'll ask around...get some answers. As for you, I suggest you investigate the Inn. Something odd is going on...

"It shall be done."

With that said, Talinth left the palace. He had already exchanged his full set of armor for his a less eye-catching one, although still keeping a helmet. Being a knight from a family of blacksmiths had its advantages, including a wide array of weapons and armor - some of it crafted by him - at his disposal.

Of course that not being part of the notable nobility hurt their business and left them open to exploration by stronger families, but that was exactly the problem Talinth intended to erase, finally freeing his family.

Action: Investigate matters at the inn. Sahainn, as always, will help in the investigations.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101