Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131438 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #405 on: August 03, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »

The sun shines brightly in the sky, children splash about in the shallows of the river, and a fresh breeze blows, bearing the scents of flowers and fruits. Summer must surely be just around the corner.

A man in walks slowly through the streets of Stormstead. He is old- his long hair has greyed, and lines crease his skin. But he has aged gracefully, and walks with a firm step that tells of a life bereft of hardship and physical labour. Not a nobleman, though- he does not carry himself with the swagger and, well, nobility of a nobleman.
A priest, then, or a successful merchant.
The mystery of his occupation is somewhat ruined by his apparel; he wears a heavy black habit adorned with a multicoloured shawl, confirming his identity as high priest of the faith; an Oracle, perhaps, or a Reader. People stand aside as he walks, bowing their heads- half out of respect, half to hide the guilt in their eyes as they try to remember when they last visited a temple.

His slow, graceful steps carry him to the doors to the palace, where he inquires of the guards there stationed if an audience with the king might be arranged, trusting his robes to be credentials enough.

Servus Kninh requests an audience with the king.
Long Live United Forenia!

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2012, 12:12:29 pm »

Galhard was taken aback by the news of the Thunderhounds, however his king asked a question, so he would answer, "In a raid against the southerners my brother began to slaughter the people as he had done so often, however I'd had enough by this time and so I drew my blade on him, in the following fight I slew him and so for that I left on my pilgrimage, now may I ask what do you mean no Thunderhound has been seen in these halls for for many years?"
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2012, 12:34:03 pm »

His slow, graceful steps carry him to the doors to the palace, where he inquires of the guards there stationed if an audience with the king might be arranged, trusting his robes to be credentials enough.

Servus Kninh requests an audience with the king.

The Guards nod and let you in.

Albert has just sent out a man on aged plate armor as you enter.

"High Priest. I have been expecting to you...I know it has been many years, since your kind walked in the Halls of this place without fear. Speak freely now, if you would."

He thought back. The Iron Queen had not exactly been an enemy of Religion...just organized Religion. She disliked the power it held over people, and generally tried to curtail them as much as she could during her reign.

Galhard was taken aback by the news of the Thunderhounds, however his king asked a question, so he would answer, "In a raid against the southerners my brother began to slaughter the people as he had done so often, however I'd had enough by this time and so I drew my blade on him, in the following fight I slew him and so for that I left on my pilgrimage, now may I ask what do you mean no Thunderhound has been seen in these halls for for many years?"

The King rubs his beard.

"The Thunderhounds...are gone. This is heavy news for you to hear.

As you know, your family made many enemies in War of the Hounds with their...brutal tactics. With the loss of both their sons and heirs, the destruction of the House was a forgone conclusion-they were no longer protected by right of blood from full scale reprisal.

Their armies were scattered, and the surviving family hunted down-their land and possesions seized by the victors. Those few that survived-the women and children-were adopted into other families, as second wives and surrogate sons and daughters, or we have lost contact with them. I am sorry to say, any of the Thunderhounds surviving heirs aside from yourself likely turned to bandity to support themselves."

The King settled back, to see how the man would take the news.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

"High Priest. I have been expecting to you...I know it has been many years, since your kind walked in the Halls of this place without fear. Speak freely now, if you would."
Kninh looks over his shoulder, as if to check if someone else came in with him.

"I believe you have me mistaken for someone else, your majesty. I had not arranged this audience beforehand, and I am not a High Priest... should I come back later? I would not wish to intrude on your majesty's time based on a misunderstanding."

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 03, 2012, 01:34:15 pm »

"I've prepared troops for my duchy and few other minor things. It would appear that Conrichts are more than active themselves, or at least richard. Rest assured, we will march west soon. I bet we won't have to even bother troubling Conrichts with what we do. right now I estimate that us two together hold most troops in the kingdom."

"Yes, we will march soon... I'm sure you have plans for this war. Anyway, I'm going home. Farewell,Saer." He bowed his head and left Edgard again. It was a short meeting, but Theor just wanted to provide his ally this information. Heh. Maybe he thought that the Blackshield was just his mere servant... So he would just expect that he was loyal to the death... Expect not.

Get out of Stormstead and to the manor.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 03, 2012, 01:48:35 pm »

Kninh looks over his shoulder, as if to check if someone else came in with him.

"I believe you have me mistaken for someone else, your majesty. I had not arranged this audience beforehand, and I am not a High Priest... should I come back later? I would not wish to intrude on your majesty's time based on a misunderstanding."

The King seems a bit...miffed.

"Forgive me then. I am unaccustomed to your style of dress...are you not a clergyman, then?"
-------------------------
Maybe he thought that the Blackshield was just his mere servant... So he would just expect that he was loyal to the death... Expect not.

Get out of Stormstead and to the manor.

A skinny young boy catches your attention before you depart from the gates of the city. He seems to be a squire of some sort. He's carrying a heavy package on his back, probably for you, but he's not complaining about the weight.

"Saer? You are, um, Dragor Blackshield, yes? I'm Squire William...William Ready...I have a delivery and a message for you, Saer, if you will accept it."

He seems to realize his mistake after a moment, checking the placard again.

"Wait...that's Theor Blackshield. My mistake, saer. A thousand pardons."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:52:50 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 03, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »

Edgard contemplated the situation. Big advances can be made in Arendalis, and it would be too good to pass up the situation,

Talk with the baron and the brides. Inquire about the specifics of Arendalis. What are the positions and status of the other 3 lords, how strong Arendalis is and would they accept Arborvent allaince/intervention in defeating Donnerstein.

-----------------------------
Edgard looked forward to meeting with the king, and hoped to finalise few things. He heard of Richard's "love", and it was apparent that the marriage arrangements could be completed now.

After being ushered into the chambers of the royal quarters in the keep, Edgard did not waste any time. Being a royal minister meant almost constant access to the king and his family.

"Your Majesty, Its great to see you. I must congratulate you on your succesful hunt. I heard that Prince Richard was equally lucky, although you must be careful. Kingdom depends on you both after all."

Edgard relaxed.

"I just wanted to inform your Majesty of few fortunate things. Firstly, I have managed to secure 4 brides form Arendalis, with an inheritance of one castle. Tis a small reward, but the alliances established for sure will prove useful if we decide to move against western kingdoms. The castle can be used as a forward staging area for our troops, and last but not least, your kingdom will grow by one more castle without spilling a single drop of blood, discounting for any torn hymens during the consumation of my marriages.

Which brings me to a second point. I hope that you have gotten somewhat aquainted with Elise, although I understand that there might be some time before you really get to know her. I believe that Your Majesty could marry her, at the same time as my wedding. That way we could organise a joint ceremony, and he alliance and loyalty of Arborvents to the Crown could be sealed.
My other sister, Eleanor could marry Richard, at the same time too, that way Conricht dynasty would get brides of high enough status from a family loyal to you since the start of the War of the Hounds.
It would be natural and going with the custom if Elise became queen consort and your prime wife, and Eleanor would be a prime wife of Richard."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:34:30 pm by Ardas »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 03, 2012, 02:19:27 pm »

Which brings me to a second point. I hope that you have gotten somewhat aquainted with Elise, although I understand that there might be some time before you really get to know her. I believe that Your Majesty could marry her, at the same time as my wedding. That way we could organise a joint ceremony, and he alliance and loyalty of Arborvents to the Crown could be sealed."[/color]

"That is fine work, Edgard. Would but the entire world come under our control so easily..."

He thought a moment at the mention of marriage.

"...you will have to ask my brother, about his own marriage.

As for me, I am fond of Elise, but I must weigh my options against the Kingdoms need. I have decided there will be a special Feast-we will invite all the prospective brides of high enough birth in the lands, and achieve useful alliances therein. I will find my wife-or wives-there, and I hope many of my Nobles will as well.

Do not be alarmed. I favor Elise-she is radiant as the sun and beautiful as the Dawn. I will not keep her waiting for me.

If she proves true and brave enough to me during the proving ceremony, she will sit by my side as Queen Consort, as others will find similiar positions. If fate is kind, she will bear my children, and I will raise them with her.

And maybe a bit more, which is why I'm doing the ceremony.

Long ago, our land was ruled by both King and Queen. One from the South, and one from the North. I have thought of taking a Wife from a Southern Windheath family, to show the people we are ready to heal the divisions of the past...what do you think of it, Edgard?"

"The medical arts are not by expertise, your majesty. His doctors did sayit was Viablakitny's Fever. Gave him a typical fever as well as paralysis, for a time. The doctors still aren't sure about the cause, though. They told me he won't be up for sometime, your majesty."

Why is the king aski-he's his cousin, you idiot.

"Sad news. You have my permission to go forth with the Embassy. Do give me updates on my cousins health, will you? I would like the word of...family...over physicians.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 03, 2012, 02:20:51 pm »

"Forgive me then. I am unaccustomed to your style of dress...are you not a clergyman, then?"
Kninh makes a small bow, arms spread wide in a gesture of goodwill. The disappointment in his eyes at the king's ignorance hardly shows.

"Clergyman yes, High Priest no. I am a Reader, one who studies the old texts for wisdom and revelations. More specifically, I am a Grand Reader- I have mastered the three tongues, read the three histories, and written a comprehensive analysis of a passage of the old texts, earning a title to befit my decades of study and contemplation. I have not served the community as a priest in many years, and whilst I am sure many would acknowledge my status amongst the realm's temples, I am the high priest of none.

My robes have faded over the years, sire, and we Readers rarely leave our monasteries- and when we do, we usually have our sights set on some ancient library in faraway lands, not the courts of the nobility. It is quite understandable that you would not recognise them."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 03, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »

" I heard someone needed help, so I obliged.

Trent was slightly annoyed the woman had not told him her name, but if she wished to keep her secrets she was allowed, the gods knew he had his own and so did every man that walked this earth. Nodding he spoke up, "Then lets get a move on, we need to head for the Haegar border right away, once there we'll make our way across and head for the fortress located on the other side. Our first task before going to hunt the troll will be to scout out that fortress, and get rough estimates for men stationed, fortification strength, nearby villages, preparations for war, etc. The once that is done we get on to the fun part of hunting a troll, so let the Hunt begin."

Follow above order up to going to the Haegar fortress, with utmost stealth of course.

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 03, 2012, 02:24:39 pm »

Theor sat on his horse and pulled on the reins to stop his stallion. It snorted impatiently and tapped with his hoof on the ground, making little dust clouds. "Yes, I am Theor Blackshield... Boy. What is it?" grumbled the comte, a little bit upset because of the delay.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 03, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »

"Long ago, our land was ruled by both King and Queen. One from the South, and one from the North. I have thought of taking a Wife from a Southern Windheath family, to show the people we are ready to heal the divisions of the past...what do you think of it, Edgard?"

"Its an old and wise custom, Your Majesty. Arborvents are among the finest, if not the finest family of the South, despite our known connections with the North. I'm sure Elise will prove herself in your eyes."

Edgard changed his tone to a slightly more servant-like in attitude.
"I  wanted to ask Your Majesty about any potential army or navy spending to be done. I've also granted 3 ducats to the ranger Trent, as you requested, although he will pick up later, after he is done with his quest."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 03, 2012, 02:46:44 pm »

My robes have faded over the years, sire, and we Readers rarely leave our monasteries- and when we do, we usually have our sights set on some ancient library in faraway lands, not the courts of the nobility. It is quite understandable that you would not recognise them.

"All the same, forgive my ignorance, saer. I did not wish to offend.

Now, what did you have to speak to me of?"

Edgard changed his tone to a slightly more servant-like in attitude.
"I  wanted to ask Your Majesty about any potential army or navy spending to be done. I've also granted 3 ducats to the ranger Trent, as you requested, although he will pick up later, after he is done with his quest."

"Quest?" The King asks. "What sort of quest did he deem more important than what I have him that money for?"

Theor sat on his horse and pulled on the reins to stop his stallion. It snorted impatiently and tapped with his hoof on the ground, making little dust clouds. "Yes, I am Theor Blackshield... Boy. What is it?" grumbled the comte, a little bit upset because of the delay.

The Boy seems a bit afraid, but gathers his courage.

"...I was bidden give you this, Saer. It is something that our King thought you would like to carry into battle again."

He hefts the pack from his back and opens it, revealing a gleaming Black Kite Shield, emblazoned with your House Emblem.

That's not just a shield...that's *the* Blackshield, the ancestral mark of the ruler of your House, much like the Dragonspine Scepter is to the Conrichts. You touch it hesitantly, feeling the buckler of True Kyrite in the center. It's said it could block Dragonfire...

A royal gift-it was taken from your forbear's body as he lay dying on the field, and no doubt lain fallow in a treasure vaults of the Conricht for many years. The boy seems to be waiting for you to take it.

"A thousand thousand Pardons, I was supposed to deliver it to you in the Throne Room, in front of the King, when you came back to the castle, but your sudden departure forced me to erm, improvise. I carried it all across the town, hoping to catch you here. It's uh, very beautiful, but damnably heavy, saer..."

You get the idea the boy would never drop this, not if it could help it. There's a certain moral strength there, that may make a good Knight one day.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 03, 2012, 02:49:46 pm »

Talk with the baron and the brides. Inquire about the specifics of Arendalis. What are the positions and status of the other 3 lords, how strong Arendalis is and would they accept Arborvent allaince/intervention in defeating Donnerstein.

[2-1] Arendalis is currently a poor kingdom, with few lands and a low population. In the old days, it was the pride of the north, but during the Dagger Years their population started emigrating en masse downstream. When Donnerstein finally claimed its independance, long ago, the kingdom was only a pale shadow of its past glory, and Windheath was emerging as the economical capital of the north. Perhaps if the wars ended and there was prolonged peace, the kingdom could heal its economy, but the lords are not hopeful. Deep in dept, the kingdom is in a terrible economic crisis.

[6] The lords themselves are relatively rich, when compared to their king; this is because Charles IV, one of Arendalis' past kings, lowered the taxes to a minimum during his reign. This made the lords so strong and the kings so weak that the balance was never restored. The baron is the lowest ranked of the nobles who sent brides; the other three are a duc and two comtes. Their lands are along the border shared between Arendalis and Windheath.

[5] The lord refuses your offer. He explains that at this point he and the other three are trying to remain as uninvolved with the war as they can - they all have lost their hopes of seeing Arendalis in peace during their lifetime. However, he hints something that could be arguably better for you: if the King promises that they will have his protection, they would willingly abandon Arendalis and join Windheath. This could be a good occasion to enter in the king's good favors; [4] after all, with the soldiers of Arendalis busy getting massacred by invaders, Charles XII surely won't be able to defy Windheath, the richest nation of the north...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 03, 2012, 02:58:57 pm »

"All the same, forgive my ignorance, saer. I did not wish to offend.

Now, what did you have to speak to me of?"

"Ah! Yes.

As I said, we Readers do not often walk the halls of noblemen. But I am old, and my years of study are completed. I could start another project, but I feel that it would be better to share my wisdom with the world before I go.

I come hoping that you would either wish to employ me as an advisor, or know someone else who would.
I am, of course, a skilled historian, translator, and theologician- and whilst not a priest of any temple, I am graced by the gods and can preside over births, marriages, and deaths. I can read omens, perform simple magics, and treat disease and injury. I know much of the three philosophies- natural, human, and (of course), spiritual. Quite aside from my clerical skillset, I have travelled far, and seen much, and certainly I have picked up knowledge over the course of my life that would be of use to a ruler from time to time."

Kninh taps his fingers as he lists his skills, a definite note of pride in his voice.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 101