Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 101

Author Topic: You are King III: Spring 938 AAL  (Read 131207 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: You are King III
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2012, 04:34:43 am »

Osir listened to the speakers with great curiosity...the state of the realm was ever important of course. Most of it was of the Haegar and the border...which intrested him greatly.

Perhaps a chance will present itself?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2012, 12:23:31 pm »

Theor raised from his chair.

"My liege, my troops are also down to insufficient numbers. The southern plains are full of bandits, looting and raiding my lands. My troops wore down, slowly bleeding out, because the Iron Queen didn't allowed to raise more troops for the Blackshields." A stupid contract to hinder the Blachshields to rebel once more... Time for a new one, because now Theor needed more men, for the sake of his demense and the kingdom. "I humbly ask you to allow me to raise levies, because a general without a army is a fighter without arms." He sat down again and fixated the fool with his eyes. Interesting... He acted not only as fool but also as some sort of spy, providing the king with the knowlegde from the street. Frankly speaking Theor never thought to do that too. Maybe he should hire someone too... Maybe someone who didn't rhyme every sentence.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2012, 12:29:25 pm »

Tiakath was sitting behind the bar in her establishment, The Iron Hound. A ducat she had spent and she certainly appreciated her wisdom in buying the place. She had just kicked out a number of drunks and the bar now had a number of thirsty labourers and craftsmen. She was polishing a mug, and the cool press of her small stilletto on her thigh was apparent as usual. One could never be too careful, she had been lifted before. It had ended nastily, her getting a scar across her lower back and them getting killed. She was about ready to lock up when she considered keeping the place open. It was the first day of the king's rule after all.
She shouted loudly 'Free round for everyone! All Hail The King!'
Predictable rowdy shouting occured and much more drinking of course. She decided to ask around for gossip.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2012, 01:51:16 pm »

Well, that didn't turn out like he had hoped. Time for a different tact. Koios navigated to an unsuspecting part of the castle and sought out a convenient informant (in this case, someone who appears to be a random bureaucrat or page). Putting on a far more noticeable Ralkarian accent, he started the dialogue...

"Excuse me, my good man, but I believe I am to see the king? I am the emissary from Lethesonokini*, I was to meet with his majesty today. Would you please direct me to his meeting chambers?"

Please be gullible, please be gullible... Koios thought to himself.

((*Capital of the western Ralkarian Isles))

[Bold what you want us to roll]
[4] The guard talks with his captain, who leaves for a while, doubtlessly to seek advice, then comes back.

"You will be allowed to meet the King in due time. However, unless you have something to contribute to the council, you will not be allowed to join the nobles in their discussion."

----
In the Aerie...

Richard cleared his throat once again and got up.

"Well, unless someone still has serious news to report, I'd like to make another suggestion to my brother. The reign of Kathryn did not make her very popular with the masses - she was named the Iron Queen for a reason, after all. I propose that we should attempt to make the people appreciate you more as a King than they did our mother as a queen, by organizing a tournament in your honor. Allow everyone with the equipment to participate and let the peasants view it for a minimal price, and they'll love you for it. We could organize a jousting competition, a melee and perhaps an archery competition. It won't cost us anything, but it may make us gain something."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:50:09 pm by Shootandrun »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2012, 04:53:04 pm »

Edgard smiled when he heard the proposal.

"Brilliant idea, Your Grace. I am a fan of all  physical sports, and a tournament to honour our king is a grand idea. I myself would like to participate in foot combat as one of the champions, but thats a detail for later perhaps.
Your Majesty, I propose that these games be prepared,. If I may suggest, 50 crowns could be a prize for the victorious champion of each particular competition like archery or duels, whereas another half a ducat could be spent to prepare the festivities; no need to charge peasants anything, if His Majesty is to build good relations with his people. Let me assure you, Your Majesty, your mother left the treasury more than amply supplied with gold and silver."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:09:31 am by Ardas »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2012, 06:12:50 pm »

This very moment the door of the meeting room almost crashed open. In the door stood a heavily sweating Lord Stonetree. He was wearing his chainmail and above it a tunic with the sigil of Stonetree. A silver tree on green background. The ashblond hair of the young man was clinging wetly to his head and his pale faces was reddened from the exercise. His grey eyes frantically looked around the room till they found the King.

I-i-i am sorry my liege. Business at the Pact. I had to release the rest of my guards and finish the contract of selling a parcel of land to pay the debt to that Ralkarian Cutthroat. And then on the entrance to the city my horse fell over of exhaustion...deeply sorry.

at a second look the chainmail was clearly rusty and the colour of the tunic was faded. And the silver was actually a bland grey. All in all Lord Harald Stonetree made a rather worn look.Street Dirt hung to his clearly worn out leather boots and acrid stench of sweat clung to his sweaty clothes. he took as fast as he could the next seat possible, while muttering about "his last horse" and tried to somehow look more...noble.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »

Renart banged his hand lightly on the table in approval.

"Hear, hear. That is a splendid proposal! A tournament for the masses under the name of the new King, right after his coronation, too! I'd suggest the prices be in wolfs at minimum, or even lower perhaps, for that would attract people of all sorts and preferences. Perhaps holding it in the Capital would also garner appreciation from the merchantile guilds?"

He turned to glance at everyone else before continuing, "And perhaps, to ensure the security of the realm, I propose that we should begin preparing food stockpiles and warehouses for the coming winter, and perhaps, for any war that may come."

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2012, 03:52:04 pm »

Theor wanted to say something too, even approving the idea for a tournament, but he stared at Lord Stonetree, quite baffled. Really bold of this man... He skahed his head and then told the nobles "I concur! A tournament would be a great idea to sound the bell for the reign of his Majesty!" He tried to hide his excitement. He never participated in a tournament, but it would be fun and maybe he could show the other nobles that he was not the wimp anymore who he used to be as kid.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »

Albert nodded.

"Everyone loves a tournament. Let's go ahead with that...50 Crown purse, to take place in the Capital Arena, Free admission for the peasantry.

Also, we shall let Lordless knights and Landless Nobles take part, if they so wish-anyone with a banner and royal blood. I am looking for strong men and women to bolster my retinue, after all."

"And perhaps, to ensure the security of the realm, I propose that we should begin preparing food stockpiles and warehouses for the coming winter, and perhaps, for any war that may come."

"We'll look at our food stocks first. I'm not sure how well the harvest was."

I-i-i am sorry my liege. Business at the Pact. I had to release the rest of my guards and finish the contract of selling a parcel of land to pay the debt to that Ralkarian Cutthroat. And then on the entrance to the city my horse fell over of exhaustion...deeply sorry.

The King looked at Stonetree harshly.

"...one must learn to keep order their priorities, Lord Herald. I am in a good mood this morning, though, so I will forgive the state of your arrival. Take care it does not happen again."

"It is clear to me, our army and navy must be expanded.

Brother, come to me later with your recommendations for the needs of our manpower needs, and I will make sure the funds are doled out. Cavalry, Infantry, Siege equipment...the lot of it.

Also, we should begin reconstructing our shipyards. Tell me how many ship you need, Rasgar. It will be done."

The King folded his hands.

"Now, as you all know, a large army does no good sitting on their duffs drinking beer, whoring, and eating my treasury. We must look toward expansion...by any means necessary.

Tell me, Renart-what now lies across the border you have so long defended? I have no love for the Haegar, and I have no doubt they only cease to attack us so they may torment others.

In fact, anyone who anything to say on the matter of the Haegar my speak now. I know little of them aside from historical fact-that they have raided and attacked us since we met them during our foundation, that they once came close to destroying Windheath*...I would know them as they are now."

-----
*War of the Longaxe: Circa 161 Years ago, the Haegar had banded into a War Horde under Great General-Skald Thymmrk-they launched a full scale land and sea invasion of Windheath, surprising and overwhelming the front line defenders of Windheath. Their army sacked Spirtsauer, and the Dechire was put under constant assault from land and sea, though she did not surrender-historians note the amount of troops tied up in the ensuing months trying to subdue Dechire had a significant effect on the wars outcome.

Nevertheless, the Horde marched and sailed toward Kings Crossing...

The War turned when the Royal Navy ambushed and destroyed the Haegar marauders at Shipbreaker island, with the untimely fall of it's leader. Thymmrk apparently choked to death on a chicken bone during his nightly dinner before the battle, or perhaps fell prey to assassins, Windheaths or his own peple-none can say, for he was given a perhaps overhasty burial at sea by his second-in-command, whose name is not mentioned in any records. His leaderless forces were devastated by then Admiral Argos Rasgar in a brilliant set of naval maneuvers.

Simultaneously, Land forces overturned the Haegar horde in the Wildlands-by the combined armies of the Blackshields, Conrichts, Rotwaldens and Stonewoods-with vicious and costly fighting. Dechire was relieved after almost 5 months under siege, at a horrible cost to it's people. It was a rare time of cooperation amongst the squabbling nations of Windheath brought on by mutual danger, and it didn't last long once it ended.

The Horde was pushed back, eventually-but, they had secured a great swath of arable land opposite the Adder Swamps, which now became a natural defensive barrier against future incursions. Northwatch Keep was established afterwards, to watch for any future troubles.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:53:52 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2012, 11:46:10 pm »

Osir rose to the occasion.

"Your majesty...there is much to speak of the Haegar...too much to say in one meeting. But yes, for many a year they have raided and plundered-its integral to their culture really. But currently...they are inactice. No raids, no attacks, not even a passing longboat. Its as if the Haegari have become complete isolationists... Something is happening in the north and we have no idea what is happening. We cannot simply build our ships or fortify our castles and it would be simply too rash to lead an army to the north. We must delve into the north ourselves...But cautiously of course. An embassy would serve well."

Osir ended his speech, and remembered that he never had introduced himself. "And before you wonder my dear majesty, I am Osir Revecheg, Comte of Osport...and the occupant of the Pale Tower*, if that helps your memory."
--------
*The Pale Tower, designed by the profound architect Sario d'Arseille, is a tower made under the reign of king Henry II. The tower itself is not out of the ordinary, it is the former occupant of the tower that is of interest. Centuries ago, the queen Arelia d'Cobonet
was imprisoned on top of the tower by her jealous husband, king Henry Conricht. Eventually the queen killed herself with a hidden poison, often called pale fright, for its affect on the victim .
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:37:13 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2012, 12:30:09 am »

Henry twitched at the memory of one of his less honorable ancestors. There was a reason the name Henry had fallen out of use in the Conricht line and that his father was referred to as the first. A reason Henry did not like thinking about But still lord made a good point. Standing up he addressed the king.

"Dear Cousin, I believe that Sir Revecheg makes a good point. We can not defend ourselves only. Action must be taken against them if only to secure our own borders. At the same time marching a army into the unknown is a bad idea. I feel that we have for too long neglected our less military options. With no diplomat in the court of the Haegar lords and little to no presence of... Extra normal agents..." At this he gave a small nod towards lord Tengram. "We are essentially blind in the area. I would recommend that we try to increase our numbers in such areas before we think about a military invasion. "

Henry then sorted though his files that he had brought to the meeting.

"In fact. Such increases may be a good idea across the board. Assuming the treasury can handle the load. During the age of Iron we let lay fallow many important duties in these areas. Before we start a military campaign it might be a good idea to get more then the surface look we have now at our neighbors."

Henry sat down and looked to the king to see what the response would be.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2012, 01:11:37 am »

The King was momentarily distracted, it seemed, before turning to him.

"I can't help but agree.

It's true most of our security apparatus was more or less turned inward during my Mothers reign.

A diplomatic mission, now that you mention it, will be interesting. I doubt we'll learn much overtly, but it will be a useful opportunity to plant agents of the crown.

Henry, organize your entourage. They will be travelling to the Haegar lands to establish a...diplomatic presence. To all intents and purposes, let them think the new King is merely being friendly to his neighbors. I need to know why they've been so quiet lately."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2012, 04:04:03 am »

Edgard leaned forward in his chair, and with rather troubled expression he started speaking.

"Your Majesty and my fellow lords, while I support a motion of a diplomatic mission north, I would be against any pre-emptive action or offensive there. North is a barren and harsh place, and Haegers themselves make for poor slaves, willing to commit suicide first tha let themselves be chained up.

I suggest that we build up our forces anyway, with each lord holding at least one regiment of personal guard that shall serve as royal levy whenever any one of us takes to the field in the name of our king.
And since fleet would protect all of our country's coast and our common waterway, that should be arranged from royal taxation, which everyone pays. That way defence of the realm can be ensured at not too great cost to everyone. "

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2012, 04:23:48 am »

"We're not talking invasion, Edgard, just precaution...building forces and levies will come in time.

As for the Taxes supporting the Navy, I agree to that as well. Might we consider a nationwide recruitment and training effort for battle ready sailors? I'd imagine the Lords and their citizens might get nervous if all their gold is going solely to bolster the people of Dechire."
The King suggested.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:08 am »

"Yes, I guess it would only be proper that we do so...although truly Osport could indeed produce ships itself, if needed."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 101