Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Tale of Rope Divinehounds: Life's hard when your cursed.  (Read 5740 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: The Tale of Rope Divinehounds: Life's hard when your cursed.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 12:19:04 am »

What are the actual effects of the mummy's curse?

Coria got the spirit of it.

The version of it used as an example file in teh raws may not be the real thing but it's pretty heanous. It adds this line to you character:
         [CE_SKILL_ROLL_ADJUST:PERC:0:PERC_ON:20:START:0]

In plain english, every time there is a skill roll, which happens a lot for all kinds of stuff, it has a 20% chance of using 0 as the value instead of your actuall level. So...might sword swing? 20% chance you totally forget what you're doing for half a second and miss. Shield blocking an arrow? 20% extra chance of failure.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:16 am »

FOREVER.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 02:13:08 am »

Would becoming a werebeast or vampire, or anything, offset it? 

What effects does necromancer power have other than the obvious?  Does it affect stats? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 02:15:13 am »

Would becoming a werebeast or vampire, or anything, offset it? 

What effects does necromancer power have other than the obvious?  Does it affect stats?

20% of the time you suck. Thats all.

Its there forever, nothing will affect it.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 12:14:29 pm »

Can you become a werebeast if you're cursed? Rope would probably be down with that to at least heal his hand, dealing with two disabilities is rough.

If you can't is there any emergency modding I could do like attach a custom syndrome to something that has the same effect once i find a werebeast?

Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 01:27:19 pm »

The next morning Rope was approached by a woman. She was very skinny and had long copper hair. She addressed him in a high pitched voice. "I'm Tuco Upixaked a hunter, I hear you're supposed to kill Gili Icebreed and the bandits to the soutwest. I'll show you the way, but I don't help you fight. I just get you there. We leave whenever you're ready. The sooner the better."

They treked southeast together the whole day. As the sun set Tuco said they were close to the bandit's usual haunts. The made camp, the night passing uneventfully. In the morning Tuco gathered her things. "Did anyone tell you Gili Icrbreed is though to be a vampire? Armok be with you," she said, and departed.

Rope turned his eyes in the direction she had pointed and sighed. One of his pet rats had climbed out of his backpack onto his shoulder. He handed it a peice of banok left over from breakfast. "Well, lets get going"

-----------------------
Out of character note, my Hunter compaion dispeared randomly after waking up, so it got retconned as her just being a guide.
-----------------------

Rope almost stumbled over the first of the bandits. He was a pikeman, and approached bravely to meet the armored intruder. Rope reached over his shoulder to the pouch of iron throwing darts. He hurled one at the pikeman but it went wide, as did the next two. His hand was unusually numb today. The pikeman as quite close now though and the fourth dart found it's mark. It struck deep and square in the bandit's right upper leg striking to the bone. The man screamed out, stumbled and fell dazed. Rope saw his chance and rushed forward. He swung his weapons together, striking the enemies throat with his pick and cleaving in his skull with his longsword.

Rope stooped gathering the man's long iron pike and a pulling his dart from the wound. As he did so another man aproached, and perhaps more a ways behind him. But this first though, he was the target. On his brow he wore a crown of human teeth. He was not a skulking vampire, he was strong and proud. He came on, yelling his name and title, a leering grin on his face.

Rope bent over and lifting the body of the poor spearman quickly over his head he hurled it at the vampire chieftan. The man was too large to avoid, and too heavy to block. It struck low on the chieftans body. There was an odd cracking noise and he stumbled to the ground. A brief flash of fear was shown in his eyes, but it was quickly releaced by indandecent rage. He swatting aside the iron pike that Rope hurled at him.

Even with his legs barely functional he could still be dangerous. And who knows what reserves might come from the tree line? Rope gestured and the corpse of the spearman, who's name he somehow now knew, Budo Oquohube, rises and comes closer. Rope tried to ignore the massive, still bleeding holes in his head and throat.

The monstrocity did nothing against the vampire, his undead kin, but stood patiently by waiting for other threats to Rope. "The loyalty of the dead is so pleasingly rigid is it not?" Rope said, laughing grimly.

The vampire nodded and painstakingly crawled closer. "You will have to kill me yourself then," it said.

Rope took a step forward and swung his sword at the vampire's head. But somehow the blow never found it's target. Perhaps it was his numb right had, perhaps it was the curse, perhaps it was the unatural agility and skill of the creature he faced. He swung again and again, each time the blow somehow going wide, or the target rolling out of the way.

Suddenly he was losing ground to a creature that not even stand. The blows came in flurries, the vampire striking, scratching wiht his hands, slashing and stabbing with his scimitar. They all glanced off Rope's armor with little effect, but this was clearly a fight that could end badly for him if he did not end it quickly. The thing could not use it's legs and still outclassed him.

Then suddenly pain and the taste of blood in his mouth! He stagger back trying to figure out how badly he was hurt. He felt his face and found the place his upper front teeth were suppposed to be. He charged back in determined to end this.

Again and again he stuck at the vampire, but it was like swinging at the wind. Again and again the vampire struck, only to be rebuffed by the streanght of iron plate.

On the vampire's next swing he was ready he cut at the raised sword arm, struking it in the bicep and severing it cleanly. Again he swung slashing the other arm. The vampire lost hold of it's shield. It roared at him in impotent fury as he brought down this iron longsword in an overhead swing, splitting the crown of human teeth and cleaving it's skull in twain.

Rope stooped and stripped the corpse of it's macabre jewelry as tokens of his victory, also gathering the weapons and his iron darts. Suddenly from the trees to the west burst two more foes, coming to late to aid their master.

Rope gestured, the corpse of the vampire shuddered and began to move, but this time not of it's own will. Rope was still holding one of the darts he had just picked up, he threw it at the closest foe, a spearman. It sunk deep into his chest, he staggered and began to wheeze.

In a moment the reanimated corpse of Bubo the first spearman was upon him, landing a mighty blow that must surely have shattered the right shoulder. The corpse lurched into the man and they fell tangled and thrashing.

The second man moved to help his companion, desperately striking at the corpse as it mauled him.

Rope moved in from the side and took off the lashers strong hand with a flick of his sword, then charged, striking the lasher in the chest with enough force to knock him over. Again he struck with the pick, lodging it deep in the lashe's chest. The lasher screamed in pain letting down his guard. Rope cut as his unprotected head tearing the brain.

Rope pulled his pick from the corpse and turned his attention back to the spearman. The two zombies were busy mauling him brutally. He was just in time to see one of them rip his nose clean off while the other one strangled him.

Rope walked around to the side and delivered a coup de grace, driving the point of his pick between the mans eyes.

The zombies slowly let go of the corpse. The one holding the nose let it drop to the ground with a plop. Rope stared at them with disgust. He really needed to stop using these things.

He sighed, returned to gathering the weapons of his foes. The bandits had of all things a copper wheelbarrow. He piled the loot into that and started trundling northward, back to Nutsfancied.

--------------------

Combat log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lookit all those misses O_O
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:32:05 pm by Joben »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 03:18:20 pm »

Funny how you only seemed to miss with the one who counted.  I imagine the zombies were probably really useful in this fight, and in fights to come.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 03:59:31 am »

I thought vampires were friendly to necromancers? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 04:16:05 am »

I thought vampires were friendly to necromancers?

No, vampires are friendly to their zombies.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 08:35:39 pm »

Rope has been chatting with the locals. They told him about a number of problems, among them being a town to the northwest, across a small bay, that apparently has an undercity that CRAWLS with vampires. Seriously, I watched in astonishment as I kept hitting service and the list and kill counts grew. Several have over 10k kills, the highest having over 18,000.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 04:57:09 am »

What are the actual effects of the mummy's curse?
You have a 1 in 4 or a 1 in 6 chance to miss every attack, I think.
ANY rolls. Especially ones involving injury. Even tiny dents can become bone breaking mortal wounds with a curse.

Can you become a werebeast if you're cursed?
no

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 04:30:30 pm »

Offscreen a swordsman named Gitcha from the village has decided to join Rope on his next quest. Which is to take out a necromancer tower.

I considered writing some characterization for him, but my head hurts and it turned out that he kicked the bucket quickly anyway.

We join Rope as he tells the villagers of Nutsfancied about it.
-------------------------------

It's a cozy scene. Rope had  removed his armor, for the first time in a long while. His pet rats, Acik and Guki* sniff around him on the floor. They are now tolerated by the villagers, who had thought them a strange pet at first. A pot of soup simmers on a cook fire, occasionally stired by an old woman. About a dozen villagers have gathered to hear what happened. A little boy with a wooden sword is wearing Rope's helm.

"We walked through the forests far south. Crossing several rivers. On our way we saw some strange beasts. Animals and insects with the look of men, and once a grasshopper the size of a bear. But none of them bothered us.

We were making good time when a trio of Kobolds sprung an ambush. Two with bows and one with sword. I lost sight of Gitcha for a moment while I slew one of the archers. When I saw him again he was injured. Together we slew the two others, but poor Gitcha died of his wounds soon after. I'm sorry I could not bring back his body, but it was too long a way.

I could see the tower in the distance, and despite the settting sun I pressed on. Approached tower in the dark of night I Found three necromancers outside, a human man and a reptile woman and a dwarf. I slew them easily. Their zombies ignored their frantic commands to attack me. Two of the three fainted at the first sight of their own blood.

I creapt inside the tower. The entrance corridor was a macabre tangle of bodies, zombies and necromancers piled on top of eachother. I was spotted, but not before I grabbed a dwarf by the throat. When he stopped struggling I slipped the tip of a knife into his eye socket.

By this point three of his fellows had clambered over the bodies toward me, screaming like madmen. I blocked several flailing strikes with my shield while backing toward the door. One of them chased me outside, from his clothing he was a former military man. I shoved my sword deep into his chest. Then hooked his belly with my pick spilling his guts. Amazingly this did not phase him at all. He actually charged, but I held him back with my shield.

I stepped back, stuck my sword into the ground and pulling a dart from my quiver I hurled it into his leg. Finally he fell down. I hurled another dart into the guts of a man that was coming up behind him, a farmer from the looks of him. He retched and vomited. Retrieving my sword I approached to finish the two. But of of nowhere the farmer jammed a keen blade into my shoulder. It's thin tip slipped through my chain mail striking into the bone.

The pain was overwhelming. I lost my shield and barely aware of what was happening stumbled away. I think i lost conciousness several times. Eventually when my senses returned I crept back so I could see the entrance. No one was there, i crept up and retrieved my shield then headed south to find a safe place to recuperate. As I left I heard the farmer somewhere, still retching.

Jogging south I slammed full tilt into an Amphibian man necromancer. As he tumbled over I slashed with my sword but only scratched his hand I think. A kick from an iron boot crushed his skull. I went some distance away and bandaged my shoulder, it was still functional. I took out my shield and snuck back toward the tower."

------------
Out of character note, fast travel heal is kinda odd to justify. This time I decided to just say it was standard first aid. His necro powers could also explain that sort of thing though I guess.

*The rats are named Scratch and Bite respectively. Taming them took a while.

Combat log for the necromancer fight:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:59 pm »

1.How did you tame them?
2.My hitbolds didn't take you out, maaaaan...

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 04:53:24 pm »

The rats are tamed for narrative purposes only, as a bit of RP. As far as the game is concerned they're just vermin stuffed in a bag. I do wonder if there are any pet/taming mods though...

I was a bit worried by the bowmen, but the tree cover was heavy and they didn't have clean shots.
I'm REALLY worried about emptying the rest of the tower. Combat vs people with carving knives while crawling around prone. ugh.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 03:04:46 pm »

PTW ;D
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3