Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Tale of Rope Divinehounds: Life's hard when your cursed.  (Read 5745 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear

This is the story of Rope Divinehounds, we join it already in progress when it started getting interesting. I mentioned some of it in another thread and Corai said I should write more. I'll start a narrative in a minute, but here's some stuff about him.

Description:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kill List:

Nutsfancied was a quite hamlet in the sout-western part of Mong Use, a human kingdom of no importance. Into it one evening walked a stranger. The villagers did not know what to make of him. He was well armed, carrying a shield, and an iron long-sword which he sheathed as he approached. As his cloak parted they caught a glimpse of what was below, a full suit of expertly crafted iron armor, a pair of beautiful knives, one iron, one silver, sheathed at his waist, and was that a steel fighting pick? Surely there could be no mistaking the soft grey shimmer of steel.

This was clearly not a man to be trifled with, but what was he? Bandits were not this richly equipped, nobles seldom visited, and neither came alone. He stopped a bow shot from the cluster of huts, as if expecting something. After a moment he approached and asked for a place to stay the night. The villagers agreed. It was only decent, and besides, would it be wise to be rude to such a man? If they noticed a strange detachment to his expression they tried not to let it bother them.

The stranger settled to the floor of a hut, his back to a wall. He pulled back his hood, revealing long blond hair, which was startling somehow, and a huge scar across one eye, which was less so. "I will answer your questions tomorrow." he said, and closed his eyes. He didn't lie down, and some of the others in the hut were not sure he slept. They tried not to let that bother them either.

Episode 2: Rope speaks with the elders.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112795.msg3437995#msg3437995

Ep 2b: Rope tells his tale and gets a quest.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112795.msg3446522#msg3446522
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:22:17 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Rope Divinehounds: Life's hard when your cursed.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:31:16 am »

those scars! O_O

can he even use his arms?

btw very well written
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:33:17 am »

This is great!
Keep it up!

Now please add everything you write to the story to your original post, that would great for easy bookmarking of this tread :D

...im that lazy...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:42:35 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 01:24:16 pm »

Pahstin ta watch!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 05:52:05 pm »

Well.  He's been through a lot.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:56:51 pm »

@Nav His right hand has sensory nerve damage, and that messed up finger, but he can still grasp with it. Arms are fine. The most shocking thing was the "Broken" eye which healed, he'll probably tell the villagers about that in a bit.

@Meister. I think I'll probably hit a post size limit pretty soon. I'll see if i can edit in post numbers or something though.

Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »

Rope was up early in the morning, before even the milkers. No one had heard him rise or go out. Some of the village women offered him breakfast. He accepted politely, but ate little. When the morning chores were done he asked to speak with the elders. A few minutes later he was shown into one of the larger huts and introduced to the head men of the village.
   "My name is Rope Divinehounds," he said, pausing as they murmured in recognition, "I see you have heard my name. Some have called me a hero. I do not like to boast, but it is true that a number of bandits and night creatures have fallen to my blade." He paused to collect his thoughts before continuing, "However at present my name is not an honored one in much of the land. Former brothers in arms of mine have sought my blood. I tell you truthfully I am not sure why, though I can perhaps guess..."
   The eldest man spoke up, "We have heard of your good deeds sir, but of nothing else. We are a simple people here, what would you have of us?"
   "I want little from you, a place to stay for a time," Rope replied, "But I do not want to impose. I would tell you my tale, then when you know I will stay or go at your word. Please though do not mention my name to anyone until you have decided. I do not want my enemies to bring trouble to your people."
   There was silence in the hut for a long spell. Then the elder spoke again. "Your words are troubling. Go outside please, I must speak with my Brothers for a moment." Rope nodded and stepped out.
   He wandered a short ways away and sat down by the well, absentmindedly flexing his right hand as if it bothered him. There was a rustling noise from his backpack and he smiled. Taking it off he set it down and opened it. At the top of the pack was a loosely fastened turquoise cloth bag, this was the source of the rustling sounds, for it was moving.

Rope made a quiet chirping sound as if beckoning, and two small furry animals popped out of the bag and clambered onto his lap. He played with them for a minute, and gave them some bits saved from breakfast. "Ahh well," he said, "At least I still have you two. I don't suppose you'll leave me, at least as long as I keep feeding you. Sorry about forgetting to hunt lately I don't find myself getting hungry much. This bread was nice though."
   A farmer approached and coughed diffidently to announce himself. As he did so the rats scampered back into their bag, and peered out at him, their whiskers quivering. "The Elders would like to speak with you again sir."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:36:54 pm by Joben »

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »

Rope walked back into the Elder's hut and waited politely. "We will listen to your story," said the elder. "Please tell us, who hunts you and why." He gestured for Rope to sit down.

"Very well." Rope said, "It began not much long ago really. I set out from my village to seek my fortune. I would go from town to town and render what aid a swordsman can. I fought bandits, helped expose a few night creatures. One job though proved to be very hard. I was sent to kill a necromancer who's tower was far in the wilderness to the north."

"I was not told that it was not just once, but many in that place, and an untold hoard of undead minions. It took me several days to kill them all, taunting them from outside and drawing out small groups to fight in the open, and sometimes sneaking in under cover of darkness to kill these wizards without drawing notice from their minions." Rope paused, flexing his right hand. "I am suprised I survived. There were many close calls." He takes off his right gauntlet and the leather glove beneath and holds up his hand. The hand is heavily scarred and one of the fingers smashed and useless. "This hand has never healed properly, it pains me and sometimes I it cannot feel."

"After days of fighting I had worked my way up several floors of the tower. And still there were many foes. I was tired and hurt and knew I had pushed my luck as far as it would go. Unsure what to do I looked about me, the necromancers wrote many books. Idly I looked at a few and suddenly realized they held the key to my dilemma. Using their own arts I could make the walking corpses ignore my presence entirely. It seemed a reasonable thing to do. Using my new knowledge I put the last of the necromancers to the sword."

"I took some valuables with me, including the book and returned to civilization," Rope continued. "My report was met with joy. I did not mention my learning of their secrets. I read the book, but it was unsavory, and I did not intend to use such magic."

The village elders listened with rapt attention. So engrossed that when the door opened suddenly some of them almost leapt of of their seats. It was a young boy and girl bringing refreshments. Time had flown by, it was almost noon.

Rope continued as they ate. "I found several people willing to join me in my travels. Together we resolved to rid the area of necromancers and night creatures. I did not mention the book to them, perhaps I should have... After a time we passed close by a cluster of large ancient buildings. Some in the party said they were the burial places of ancient people, prior inhabitants of the land. We resolved to investigate."

"Things went very poorly...we disturbed some ancient undead thing. It itself had necromantic powers and raised the very bones at out feet. It looked straight into my eyes and I felt chilled to my core. That cold has not left my bones yet though it was almost a moon ago." Rope shivered involuntarily and despite the warness of the room drew his cloak tighter.

"What happened next?" the local blacksmith asked

"A very disorganized fight broke out. I just couldn't kill the beast that seemed to be at the heart of the madness. My companions would fight, but for nothing, as soon as they struck a foe down and turned to another the first would rise. In desperation I did a terrible and foolish thing. I used the knowledge from the book. I thought perhaps if I raised the bones it would be better, that they would aid me or at least be passive.

An uncomfortable murmur ran through the room. Rope continued doggedly, eager to complete the tale. "Finally despite the strange sickness I felt I struck a true blow and took the head off the ancient corpse and it crumpled, then I dashed it's thralls to pieces. Outside I found the last of my friends who was still living. A spearman he was and a brave fighter. He had from the look of it many broken bones and was barely conscious, and yet as I approached to aid him he summoned the strength to stab me in the shoulder. Perhaps he saw me raise the bones and felt betrayed I do not know. Even in his injured state he pursued me. Not wanting to hurt my friend I left the place"

"I soon found though that I was not welcome anywhere. Peasants would not speak to me, and at a fort where I was well known the guard attacked on sight. I think perhaps my former friend told the whole world that I was a necromancer. Perhaps I am."

"I wandered for a while. I thought perhaps I would leave the kingdom, but I did not want to and I still had some tasks unfinished. For a time I traveled to and fro completing my quests sleeping in the wilderness. I admit I used my newfound dark gifts a few times. It was the only way to keep the boogeymen at bay...and they helped. Can you imagine what the kick of a hippopatamous does to the head of a kobold bandit? It is impressive to be sure. I needed the help. I have done poorly ever since that thing in the crypt stared into my soul, sometimes it as if all my strength leaves me and I can hardly move for a moment."

"My last quest was in the hamlet to the north. I was given the name of a vampire living in secret there. I crept in at night. I found the creature awake, as they do not need rest. It recognized me as a foe and struck at me, but I beheaded it in a single stroke. A carpenter awoke however and apparently took me for a murderer, and gave chase. I rendered him unconscious with i hope no permanent damage and made my escape. That is when I came here, and why I ask that you do not mention me to your neighbors.

The villagers stared, a variety of expressions visible, awe, disbelief, suspision, fear. The eldest looked to and fro at his companions and then nodded, as if somehow they had reached agreement. "Your tale is strange and in some ways shocking. I feel you have probably told us the truth as far as you know it. There is risk though, we do not really know you, and you admit to having dark and dangerous powers. If you wish our help prove yourself to us please. There is a vampire bandit chieftain to the southwest. Go and slay him please and return with proof. Perhaps then my fellows will be trusting and you will have a place here. In the meantime, we will keep your secrets."

=====================

Ok there we go, this guy had some backstory to set up, I tried to tell it briefly, but it's still kinda -wall-o-text.

Cliff notes: Rope gets quest to kill necromancer, turns out to be whole towerful. He gets his right hand really messed up. With nothing else to do he reads one of their books which lets him bypass the rest of the zombies. Then later in a tomb something goes horribly wrong, he gets cursed, and somehow he gets his compaions/civ turned against him. Going from hero to outlaw in his beloved land.

Come back soon to learn how Rope does with the vampire bandit.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:28:16 pm by Joben »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:06 pm »

What are the actual effects of the mummy's curse? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 11:11:48 pm »

Dear player,

Screw you bitch. You are gonna die.

Sincerely, RNG
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 11:12:58 pm »

...It's a good thing he has necromancer powers then.  Will he use the dark gift?

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 11:19:14 pm »

You have a 1 in 4 or a 1 in 6 chance to miss every attack, I think.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 11:38:54 pm »

...It's a good thing he has necromancer powers then.  Will he use the dark gift?

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!
Hasn't he?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:06 pm »

I meant will he use the dark gifts again?

Aww I cant help it DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: [1] 2 3