Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506140 times)

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2325 on: February 21, 2015, 07:50:43 pm »

An israeli and german scientists have re-discovered the Higgs boson using a regular laboratory rather than the several billions worth LHC.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-higgs-boson-analogue-superconductors.html

Despite CERN reaserch allowing this its still kinda like the americans inventing a space pen. Probably even invented space white out...
[russian accent]decadent americans[/russian accent]
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: February 21, 2015, 08:44:56 pm »

What, you mean the space pen that enabled astronauts to take notes without gumming up the air filters and incredibly sensitive instruments with graphite dust?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2327 on: February 21, 2015, 10:01:21 pm »

What, you mean the space pen that enabled astronauts to take notes without gumming up the air filters and incredibly sensitive instruments with graphite dust?
I believe that is the space pen they are referring to.
Graphite dust is not the best idea for zero gravity atmospheric sensetive operations.

Also, we have to recognize that the LHC has other purpouses than discovering the Higgs Boson, so those "billions of dollars" are not being used for that single purpouse.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: February 21, 2015, 11:26:45 pm »

Also that the entire space pen thing was an urban legend.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: February 21, 2015, 11:49:09 pm »

Why, so it is. Apparently NASA decided to hold off, and an entrepreneur did all the development. So not only is the moral of the story, "There are actually usually lots of good reasons for most of the apparently overcomplicated stuff people do in research environments", it's also "Capitalism works sometimes."
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: February 22, 2015, 03:58:06 am »

Why would you use a pencil either?? They had computers then... right?

That said I'd definitely be one of the immortality pill takers if/when one ever comes out, there's just way too much new stuff in the universe to experience in one lifetime, even if it's extended.
Nothing personal. But Ive always had this feeling that if that happens in my lifetime I would want to kill the cheaters. Out of principle. Im not the only one either im sure there would be full on militia groups, religious zealots, the poor etc.
All willing to correct nature.
I dont think I would act on my thoughts because you will die anyway no matter what. Many would though
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: February 22, 2015, 04:22:16 am »

"Cheaters"? What "principle"?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: February 22, 2015, 04:29:31 am »

Why would you use a pencil either?? They had computers then... right?
Computers, yes, keyboards, no. Ever heard of cards?

"Cheaters"? What "principle"?
The "principle" of "no one gets to be better than I am"
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: February 22, 2015, 04:43:08 am »

Has anybody ever seen or read 'Ender's Game'?
It's got a concept that is a bit of tangent to the conversation
It was interesting. Especialy the game the giants drink. that tripped me right out.
It didnt have enough character desctiption. The fact a maori was a tank alien fleet killer was awsome, better than temuera morrison in any light.

The time it was written and the game detail. Crazy beautiful.
Its too bad how distopian sci-fi is, because our science is inspired by it and vice versa.
Becoming an inbred monster of a future.
Yay for death. No immortal pill for this guy. Nup Im going to die in my study with a single bullet in my head after a steady decline into dementia.

Good SF more or less has to be dystopian. It helps to think of it as "Speculative Fiction" rather than Science Fiction. SF speculates about how technology will change our lives and how it will impact society. I recommend you read some of Asimov's short stories, he was particularly good at the speculating part and you'll often notice things with a direct analogue in our society today.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:53:16 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: February 22, 2015, 04:51:39 am »

And that was a non-sequitur due to lack of context...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: February 22, 2015, 04:52:25 am »

Oh, sorry, let me fetch the quote.

E: done

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: February 22, 2015, 04:58:59 am »

Oh, I hate the idea that speculative fiction has to be dystopian. That's overtly cynical.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: February 22, 2015, 05:00:53 am »

If it's going to predict how it may change society, it seems fairly silly not to include possible problems, imo.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: February 22, 2015, 05:02:37 am »

It's perfectly fine to do that. Pessimism is objectively the correct way of thinking (see: the ludicrous number of fallacies related to humans being overtly optimistic).

But thinking that the problems will be overwhelming is a bit cynical.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: February 22, 2015, 05:19:57 am »

I think the idea is that a science fiction world set in an utopian society would not be a good environment for a conflict that a fiction need, since no conflicts would exist in the ideal future, and even if the society isn't utopian, the scientific advancements of mankind would still harm the ability to create conflict.

Of course, there are outliers, like Jules Verne's novel, but it's not actually set in the future. It just puts a futuristic technology in the present.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 339