Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 506060 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2310 on: February 18, 2015, 04:11:29 pm »

... I rather imagine something approaching a majority of the folks down here have read ender's game. Quite possibly a majority of the forum in general. It's a pretty well read text, especially among english speakers that are even marginally interested in sci-fi.

Remembering any of it (besides maybe the bit about down and the (pre-?)teen xenocide and the homosexual not-so-under tones and maybe a bit else) is a different question.
The latter is funny considering that the author is a homophobic scumbag.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 18, 2015, 11:59:08 pm »

In reading that series I had (this is tangent and not sure if it's on homophobe topic or not) one WTF moment and that was the guys crawling through a space station's airvent a butt naked.
WTF!
Anywho
What sciences thing were we discussing?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: February 19, 2015, 12:24:45 am »

In reading that series I had (this is tangent and not sure if it's on homophobe topic or not) one WTF moment and that was the guys crawling through a space station's airvent a butt naked.
WTF!
Anywho
What sciences thing were we discussing?
i think that was because their were trackers in their suits.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: February 19, 2015, 07:03:49 am »

Thanks guys. How fast can a star move? Is it possible they could get to a reasonable fraction of light speed?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: February 19, 2015, 07:08:52 am »

In what frame of reference?

(Note: That's not the most wisecracking answer - that would've been 'Yes.')
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: February 19, 2015, 07:26:44 am »

Thanks guys. How fast can a star move? Is it possible they could get to a reasonable fraction of light speed?
Google 'high velocity stars', 'rogue stars' and 'hypervelocity stars' for general information and observation data.

This paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1411.5022
tries to find the upper limit on the speeds and concludes that 10^5 km/s (1/3 c) is possible.

The frame of reference for measurements is always the Local Standard of Rest - basically the Sun. But whether you use this one or the galactic rest frame or even the CMBR rest frame, it doesn't change much when you're talking 100 000km/s.

These semi-relativistic hypervelocity stars are purely hypothetical so far (unless I missed a discovery).

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: February 19, 2015, 08:41:32 am »

Thanks. Guessing planets hitching a ride are a dodgy prospect, but hey.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: February 19, 2015, 11:36:15 am »

Has anybody ever seen or read 'Ender's Game'?
It's got a concept that is a bit of tangent to the conversation
It was interesting. Especialy the game the giants drink. that tripped me right out.
It didnt have enough character desctiption. The fact a maori was a tank alien fleet killer was awsome, better than temuera morrison in any light.

The time it was written and the game detail. Crazy beautiful.
Its too bad how distopian sci-fi is, because our science is inspired by it and vice versa.
Becoming an inbred monster of a future.
Yay for death. No immortal pill for this guy. Nup Im going to die in my study with a single bullet in my head after a steady decline into dementia.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:07 pm »

One of the points of the future is that we get to cure/fix things like dementia, so unless you purposely don't accept the treatments for that (and your relatives don't, since eventually you wouldn't be able to hold legal guardianship over yourself) I doubt you could descend into it.

(That said I'd definitely be one of the immortality pill takers if/when one ever comes out, there's just way too much new stuff in the universe to experience in one lifetime, even if it's extended.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:00 pm »

On the other hand I don't really mind not experiencing things. I would be okay with having my influence on the world immortalised as an AI, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: February 19, 2015, 01:27:31 pm »

How can you use the cosmic microwave background as a frame of reference? Define a rest state so that the frequency from all directions is the same?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: February 19, 2015, 01:51:40 pm »

How can you use the cosmic microwave background as a frame of reference? Define a rest state so that the frequency from all directions is the same?
Yes. You choose the frame in which the CMBR looks isotropic - i.e., there are no hot and cold spots along the direction of travel.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: February 19, 2015, 02:21:18 pm »

An israeli and german scientists have re-discovered the Higgs boson using a regular laboratory rather than the several billions worth LHC.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-higgs-boson-analogue-superconductors.html

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: February 19, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »

They discovered a higgs boson analogue. Some kind of higgs mode or something.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: February 21, 2015, 06:30:12 pm »

Yeah, tldr of the article:
1. Higgs predictions had their roots in math & theories originating in superconductor phenomena.
2. Due to technical limitations, the particular bit which ended up relating to the Higgs couldn't be experimentally verified.
3. Higgs experimentally verified in LHC.
4. (now) The particular bit which ended up relating to the Higgs has been experimentally verified as technical limitations are overcome.
5. (future) After solving limitations preventing experiments with it in superconducting theory in a way allowing for relatively cheap experimental results compared to the particle physics version, superconducting theory version of the equations can be used to find easier results and better methods of exploring the particle physics Higgs.

It isn't the higgs boson, but is rather more like how you can have both an electromagnetic wave and a wave in water. Both are waves because they share certain phenomena and behavior, and by factoring out the peculiarities originating from their topic of origin you can investigate one by investigating the other. This will tell you both about waves in general and about any potentially unknown peculiarities originating from their topic of origin. Thus it has the potential to give insight both into higgs-like phenomena and the Standard Model in general, in addition to information about superconducting theory.

Or as a more concrete example of this sort of thing in action, here's a laboratory studying similar mathematical analogies, using specific types of flow and wave motion in water to study black hole phenomena: http://www.gravitylaboratory.com/#!black-holes/c1dug
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:35:58 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 339