Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Why Leather?  (Read 7094 times)

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Leather?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »

My archers fight from behind fortifications, the only damage they take is from enemies and no matter what you give them for armor crossbow bolts can still get through.

I usually try that, too, but an Elite ranged goblin can really ruin your day by shooting straight through the fortifications.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 09:59:55 pm »

I like having and managing a bigass military. It gives me more options when I send people out to fight. For example, I have 1 squad of Raw recruits, one sqaud of okays, one squad of Regular soldiery, one squad of better then average, and one of ownage. Right now I have 2 archers, 1 elite, and one "picked up a crossbow yesterday".
Five squads is a big military? Well... I guess I'm on the end of an extreme then.
50 militia is a lot ... for a fort of 60 to 75 dwarves. :D
Well thats a little extreme, I like using lots of civilians making weapons. If you include them, well, more like 50%. Besides, I dont include reserves in that, which includes the deadly miners militia.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 01:38:31 am »

one of the most disappointing thing about this game is that i can't skin my enemy and wear them like a suit... so that when the next siege comes, they will know what happened to their friends and their impending doom... that and trophies... more reasons for the dwarfs to get themselves killed... oh urist mcdorf just sliced this gobbo's ear off... excuse me while i pick it up and run a pig tail thread through it to make a pretty necklace to show off to all the laddies how awesome i am...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 01:48:24 am »

one of the most disappointing thing about this game is that i can't skin my enemy and wear them like a suit... so that when the next siege comes, they will know what happened to their friends and their impending doom... that and trophies... more reasons for the dwarfs to get themselves killed... oh urist mcdorf just sliced this gobbo's ear off... excuse me while i pick it up and run a pig tail thread through it to make a pretty necklace to show off to all the laddies how awesome i am...
Edit the raws. Lots do. [ETHIC_EAT_RACE_OTHER: ACCEPTABLE] I think. Most eat their meat.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 01:52:16 am »

The guy wearing an ear around looks desperate to impress.  He's trying too hard, he thinks he has something to prove.  The soft-spoken guy with many scars, nice clothes, and a demeanor of civilized competence, he's the one you watch out for.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 04:53:38 am »

The dwarf hauling furniture in full steel plate with an axe bigger than he is strapped to his back... he's the one you really need to be careful of.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2012, 04:55:42 am »

The dwarf hauling furniture in full steel plate with an axe bigger than he is strapped to his back... he's the one you really need to be careful of.
I have like 15 of those wandering round the fort... except most have candy greaves and high boots

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 05:06:51 am »

I have like 15 of those wandering round the fort... except most have candy greaves and high boots
"Urist McHauler used to be an adventurer, then he took an arrow in the knee."
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 05:16:40 am »

The guy wearing an ear around looks desperate to impress.  He's trying too hard, he thinks he has something to prove.  The soft-spoken guy with many scars, nice clothes, and a demeanor of civilized competence, he's the one you watch out for.

No, it's the warrior without the scars you need to fear
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 11:24:10 am »

Five squads is a big military? Well... I guess I'm on the end of an extreme then.
50 militia is a lot ... for a fort of 60 to 75 dwarves. :D
101 soldiers out of a fort with 103 adult Dwarves >:]

No, it's the warrior without the scars you need to fear
Yet the one without scars... It is a hardened individual.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 12:32:36 pm »

The warrior with the scars started out and was injured and learned. The guy without started and didn't get injured and learned how to AVOID getting injured.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 08:36:07 pm »

That's one way to look at it.  Another way is, everyone lies.  With the unscarred guy you have nothing to go on but his word that he's a warrior, and hasn't learned to avoid injury by simply chilling in his mom's basement reading bad amateur fiction and mail ordering fancy swords.  The walking mass of scar tissue, on the other hand, you still don't know whether he's a warrior, a very hard laborer, or just accident prone, but you do have some very strong evidence that the man doesn't die easily.

All other (known) data being equal, I figure the proven survivor is generally the safer bet.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 04:21:41 am »

Either way, I'd be scared of an axe wielding dwarf... especially with my weedy figure
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 05:27:03 am »

That's one way to look at it.  Another way is, everyone lies.  With the unscarred guy you have nothing to go on but his word that he's a warrior, and hasn't learned to avoid injury by simply chilling in his mom's basement reading bad amateur fiction and mail ordering fancy swords.  The walking mass of scar tissue, on the other hand, you still don't know whether he's a warrior, a very hard laborer, or just accident prone, but you do have some very strong evidence that the man doesn't die easily.

All other (known) data being equal, I figure the proven survivor is generally the safer bet.
Good point, though there comes a point where the scar tissue would begin to interfere with your movements. Scar tissue lumps and doesn't move as well as normal tissue does, so a person who is scarred can never actually reach the same levels of flexibility as they could if they were unscarred. Of course in most cases there isn't enough scar tissue to make a noticeable difference, but with larger scars it actually can be a problem. It's the same thing with broken bones (especially those in your hands), where even after they heal they are still slightly more prone to re-breaking then before they broken.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 05:35:08 am »

Personally, I'd be more afraid of a pickaxe wielding dwarf with a menacing look on his face. Pickaxes are downright scary in DF.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4