Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Why Leather?  (Read 7096 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Leather?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 06:52:46 am »

Unrelated to anything, but that

is the most hilarious possible thing to see when Rhythmbox opts to play Tom Jones - Sex Bomb.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 06:53:55 am »

I don't use leather because it gets worn out over time. Metal won't have this problem unless a dwarf decides to undress on a refuse pile. Then it disintegrates faster than a corpse.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 09:39:42 am »

I put mine in steel plate.  They take a little longer to get into position, but it helps a ton when they run out of ammo and decide to brain the enemy with their crossbows.  It also helps whenever they get in a shooting duel with goblin archers.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:00 am »

My archers fight from behind fortifications, the only damage they take is from enemies and no matter what you give them for armor crossbow bolts can still get through.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 02:15:35 pm »

My archers fight from behind fortifications, the only damage they take is from enemies and no matter what you give them for armor crossbow bolts can still get through.
Are your Dwarves often fired at by other Dwarves?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 02:35:04 pm »

I was thinking he meant melee enemies... or poorly planned cave-in traps.  Either one is just as likely with the average DF player.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 02:41:29 pm »

I don't use leather because it gets worn out over time. Metal won't have this problem unless a dwarf decides to undress on a refuse pile. Then it disintegrates faster than a corpse.
Leather armor doesn't worn out, just leather clothing.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 03:59:15 pm »

having and managing a bigass military
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Although really the largest reason for using leather armour for marksdwarves is:

1. Narrative. Marksdwarves are often the stereotypical peasant Dwarf called to war, who makes do with what she or he can.
2. Marksdwarves are often neglected in terms of resource investment because of their upkeep - many forts cannot afford spending an entire industry on bolts for some reason or another, mostly under fuel costs. For this reason, resources are allocated to the melee squads which can provide a relatively long term low cost investment in defense. Marksdwarves are given 2nd priority.
Besides, they only need the armour to take a few scratches here and there - most forts don't expect them to be in the line of fire (and if they do - they don't expect them to survive, with or without metal armour).

Personally, I give my marksdwarves metal armour and CC weapons. Most of them rarely ever see CC, but it pays to be prepared.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 04:30:49 pm »

I like having and managing a bigass military. It gives me more options when I send people out to fight. For example, I have 1 squad of Raw recruits, one sqaud of okays, one squad of Regular soldiery, one squad of better then average, and one of ownage. Right now I have 2 archers, 1 elite, and one "picked up a crossbow yesterday".

More relevantly, I keep them in leather because I find it very important to get everyone out side when they need to. This way at least one group can defend us. Also important if a FB or other underground nastiness attacks.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »

I put my marksdwarves in leather because if they are in melee combat, i write them off as dead...

My stratagy is to have a squad of marksdwarves constantly patroling my walls behind fortifications. The cut down any thieves or ambushes that come too close to the walls. I devote one craftsdwarf shop to spam bone bolts as they tend to fly thru them so fast that metal bolts are not cost-effective. Plus, bolts seem to cut through metal armor regardless of what they are made of.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »

I like having and managing a bigass military. It gives me more options when I send people out to fight. For example, I have 1 squad of Raw recruits, one sqaud of okays, one squad of Regular soldiery, one squad of better then average, and one of ownage. Right now I have 2 archers, 1 elite, and one "picked up a crossbow yesterday".
Five squads is a big military? Well... I guess I'm on the end of an extreme then.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »

a good stratagy for arming the populous is to put all civvies into inactive marksdwarves squads with just a quiver and crossbow with bone bolts and no armor. They will shoot enemies they see but run if they get to close or run out of ammo, which is much more effective than an the on-duty stratagy of shoot then suicide dash when empty. If you build a bunch of archery targets the responsible dwarves will train when idle.

This is especially useful for minimising casualties due to ambushes and wildlife.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 05:41:31 pm »

Possibly it is a carryover from other games where stiffer armor explicitely reduces dexterity, and where high dexterity is necessary for archers to be accurate in their shots.  In those games, archers are always better off in leather armor.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 07:09:06 pm »

I remember one of my archers became pretty damn good in close combat... He knocked an enemy unconscious, then ran out of bolts, so proceeded to bash the crap out of him... But every single shot got deflected by the iron helm. Whenever the gobbo finally stood up, he got a hit on the leg, and knocked him over, and repeated... this proceeded for a good 5 or 10 minutes before someone else came to finish the job. Needless to say, he's now a decent hammer user too :D
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »

Five squads is a big military? Well... I guess I'm on the end of an extreme then.
50 militia is a lot ... for a fort of 60 to 75 dwarves. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4