Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Planet Explorers - New Voxel Game (early alpha)  (Read 28331 times)

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planet Explorers - New Voxel Game (early alpha)
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2013, 10:33:53 pm »

Omg omg omg. I ponied up for the alpha and I've been playing a few hours (okay, more than a few) of the story mode and I'm really surprised at this game so far. It's fun, it's feature-filled, the biomes released so far look great. Only thing I hate is the non-stop running because the vehicles I can cobble together so far... kinda blow up. At least there's fast travel between explored landmarks.

Also, it's kind of hard... Maybe I'm just lame, but I'm in the forest west of the plains and there's more than a few enemies that can one-shot kill me and good weapons/scripts are getting kinda random. At least my two companions are immortal. :S

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2014, 08:24:54 pm »

Wow, no one commented on this for a while.
Well, I bought the game this week and have been playing on the alpha 0.72. I'm really liking the game, despite the obvious incomplete parts (like First Person View, a better camera mode for entering enclosed spaces, a few quirks that need fixing, the need for optimization, etc). I'm actually surprised that there are a good numbers of quests right on the alpha.

I still haven't built a base or anything other than a ramp, but I made 2 cars and my greatest, happiest accomplishment..the helicopter.
I loved the in-game editor for making vehicles and weapons! It seems that there will be a good number of new things on the next version - 0.75a - that's coming in soon.
It'll also mark the launch of the game on steam.

This is a game that got all the things I like, I'm really hoping for the complete success and complete development of the game.
Here's some pics of the building of my "Helicopter" (Hoverthing!) - sorry for posting so many pics, but it took me almost 6 hours to make this - and 2 discarded prototypes.
It seems that I suck at the designer, so I'm proud of myself :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It has 3 rapid guns and 1 controlled turret, so it can kill anything I can find in the 2 first biomes.
Made of aluminum and the glowy panels are a custom material of wood with textures for glass, that actually ended up looking cool for anything else other than looking like glass.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:30:39 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2014, 12:06:48 pm »

So the latest version doesn't even work on my PC....just crashes on startup -_-

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2014, 02:17:43 am »

This hasn't been posted on in a while. But, I'm going to be picking this up next month. Looks like it has come A LONG way since I made this topic, and looks vastly better than it used to.

Probably going to end up getting it not on sale...since I can't afford anything this current sale and I don't want to wait for Christmas sales. :P 25 dollars isn't THAT much, but I wouldn't be able to get much else when sales do come. In any case...

I'll post my thoughts once I get it. Probably give first impressions (2-3 days or so of playing) and continue from there.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2014, 02:19:49 am »

From when I played in Alpha, it was pretty much worth the cost.  The vehicles still had a bit of derp, but were all very well designed and the creation engine is AMAZING.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2015, 06:47:27 pm »

Now this is a thread that isn't just going to rise from the dead, its going to rise from the depth of the underworld to come back to the living. Okay maybe not quite, but the last post was in 2014 :P And its almost 2016 :P

So yesterday I was looking for a new game to play. And Planet Explorers has been on my wish list a long time on Steam. But I kinda always forget it exists. I bought a game (not Planet Explorers) yesterday and regretted it pretty quick...got a refund and all that.  But I didn't (and don't) want to make the same mistake again. Don't want to throw money in the wind lol So instead of impulse buying a game on sale, I decided to wait it out over night.

This morning after much consideration I bought Planet Explorers :) I watched a lot of videos, looked up the game and I did play it ages ago and it was so much fun. With that said, so close to Christmas Eve, I only was able to play a couple hours and maybe I can play again tonight. But from what I've played thus far its a ton of fun! And Girlinhat is right, creation system is pretty darn amazing.

But since its on sale on Steam for only 12.49 USD, figured I'd kind of rise this from the underworld and maybe get the game a little bit more noticed lol. I imagine a lot of people forgot this exists :P or didn't even know it did. :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2015, 07:18:14 pm »

Funnily enough, I bought it yesterday as well. Played the demo a bit before, but haven't started on the full game.

While many of the reviews will say this game is dead and hasn't gotten an update in many months, this is actually not true. They've been running a beta branch of patches for some time, working their way to a new release on the main branch - which is scheduled in the next few days according to the Steam forum, by the way. The reason they haven't released the patches on the main branch is because the beta versions require a 64-bit OS. To access this you have to subscribe to Properties->Betas and opt in(ignore the line where it says to input code).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2015, 09:35:40 pm »

good to hear this game is not dead. but unless they changed things, i didnt like the creation tool. its probably just me, but i did not like designing stuff on a voxel level.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2015, 10:16:42 pm »

Yay, Planet Explorers!

Good bit of pretty buggy fun but, the devs really need to learn to commit to an update instead of: ooooohletsjustaddthisonemorethingandthenweredoneweswear

the 0.9 update has been "right around the corner" since before March :P

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2015, 10:48:56 am »

Stop being in alpha/beta, damnit. Just release something finished.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2015, 06:55:46 am »

The .9 update was released on the main branch some time last night. It wasn't up when I went to bed about 8 hours ago.

Here's the list of changes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2015, 06:37:33 pm »

YASSS. That means v1.0 is just around the corner right? My body has been ready for far too long.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2015, 07:49:07 pm »

YASSS. That means v1.0 is just around the corner right? My body has been ready for far too long.

from reading the forums, they'll do a few more updates (mostly fixing bugs it sounds like). And then move on to beta 0.1 (game is in alpha .9 right now) which beta there won't be any save game wipes or anything like that which I guess happens for alpha. But it sounds like beta is still a ways off. And an actual release much further.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2015, 11:28:32 pm »

One thing I noticed from PE devs after following the development for years, is that they either have an inexperienced small team working on a ambitious project, or they have no idea how much effort things take.
I remember a blog post in which the poster was clearly apologizing for the long time the update took to be released - and they couldn't even get through the list they had for that update.

Anyhows, I really love Planet Explorers and want to see it succeed. But it's taking a long time and it'll probably take even longer before its finished. I really don't recommend playing this (especially multiplayer and survival modes, since those are still a mess) if you want a stable, "finished" experience.
At least, at every patch they always fix the most annoying things players are reporting.
They also did some UI and engine overhauls that, if they were bad (or just lazy) people, they'd just put duct-tape code on it and move on. But they redone it and I liked the result.

About the creator, I also don't like designing stuff on the voxel level either. Would be cool to have more pre-fab parts for those of us that don't want to spend a whole day designing and painting a VTOL.
I did that once and it still looked like crap. So...  ::)
Now I just download stuff. There are some really awesome vehicles that seem to be made by professional artists.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2015, 03:45:52 pm »

I bought this game a long time ago and pretty much shelved it thinking "this is cool but needs a lot of work."

Well it seems to have come further along and I took a crack at the story mode and it was pretty fun.

Trying out multiplayer today but there doesn't seem to be very many people playing although I did run into a few Chinese players who couldn't speak English so after running around together for a little while we parted ways.

Maybe someone can get a dedicated server going so those of us interested can play together? I haven't really looked into hosting yet but from what I saw it didn't look that complicated.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9