Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 65033 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #405 on: September 12, 2013, 10:54:51 pm »

I guess in situations like you get hit from the sides or from behind, you may get some casualties.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 12, 2013, 11:05:14 pm »

Beside the point that I don't really play as Rome much, I can't remember using Testudo formation that much in Rome 1 since it was so slow they got hit by more projectiles on the way to their target (thus negating the extra armour by an amount), they got tired while using it and had a smaller formation so were more vulnerable to being mobbed.

I'm sure I'm using it wrong, it's to be used on approaching targets while under heavy missile fire yes?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15:33 pm »

It's better just to move normally with them. Testudo only makes them more vulnerable somehow.

Am I blind or has the 'loose formation' button disappeared? I find myself wanting to spread out units taking missile fire, but the option seems to be gone.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 12, 2013, 11:19:44 pm »

Hey guys, anybody got suggestions for opening moves for Egypt? I can never seem to get it right and just get dogpiled
They started to collide~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 13, 2013, 01:52:47 am »

Beside the point that I don't really play as Rome much, I can't remember using Testudo formation that much in Rome 1 since it was so slow they got hit by more projectiles on the way to their target (thus negating the extra armour by an amount), they got tired while using it and had a smaller formation so were more vulnerable to being mobbed.

I'm sure I'm using it wrong, it's to be used on approaching targets while under heavy missile fire yes?
I'm not sure about the historical use of the tetsudo, but in Rome 2's it's probably better to advance outside of it and only use it when you can't move.

I.e: When you're waiting for gates to burn down or you're being attacked by horse archers.

It just takes way too long to move around inside a tetsudo and the units all raise shields over their heads anyway.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 13, 2013, 02:40:51 am »

I think the tetsudo was used so that heavy troop could shelter lighter troops under their shield.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 13, 2013, 06:55:46 am »

I only have trouble with slingers when trying to advance on them with lighter troops. As Parthia, they are my single biggest threat since they are the only thing that outreaches my horse archers and if I don't micromanage my troops to keep them moving at all times they will totally tear them to pieces. As long as I stay moving however I have no trouble defeating them without many casualties. And even my Median Cavalry ("medium shock cavalry" or something like that) are armoured enough to stand against them.
Love, scriver~

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 13, 2013, 12:27:51 pm »

Sounds like the Testudo is bugged, then. It should make the unit pretty much invulnerable to missiles, which is what it did historically according to period sources. The drawback was movement speed and ability to actually fight in hand-to-hand combat.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 13, 2013, 01:19:09 pm »

I'm generally more impressed that the Romans had the economy to equip every single one of their legionaries with so much expensive equipment.

I mean, I'm going to list off their equipment:

1. Full chainmail hauberk, individually hand-linked and smelted or full scale-mail hauberk
2. Steel helmet and shoulder guards, individually wrought
3. Steel shortsword (gladius)
4. Red dyed cloth tunic
5. Triple-banded wooden shield backed with tight leather and metal trappings, painted red and gold.
6. Two javelins (pilum)
7. One dagger
8. 15 days of food
9. 225 denarii a year in pay plus bonuses and land

Hell, it'd be like giving every single soldier today his own personal humvee, a few RPGs, three guns, and a few acres of land... along with everything else he normally got.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 13, 2013, 01:35:34 pm »

They didn't. The empire collapsed under the economical strain.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 13, 2013, 01:36:20 pm »

Eventually. They still kept it up for a very long period of time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 13, 2013, 02:32:41 pm »

If by collapse... you mean continue from 200 BC to 500 AD for a period of 700 years... then okay.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 13, 2013, 02:55:26 pm »

Hell, it'd be like giving every single soldier today his own personal humvee, a few RPGs, three guns, and a few acres of land... along with everything else he normally got.
Two words: slave labour. It would be easily done, if more than half of population were slaves (yup, try to do that in rome2 happieness system). That equipment list apply to late/post republican era, when Romans controled most of known world. Most of it (exception of shields / pilums) lasted "few soldiers lifespan" and rome did suffer extremly-low losses for that era. Earlier roman armies used mainly spears/shields and leather armor.
On top of that is a whole army private funding topic. Rome wasn't republic in style we know. It was money=military power=political power. Even after Hortensian laws it was the same (changed only on paper).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:06:34 pm by lastverb »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 13, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »

Also, Rome (especially the Byzantines after the western empire fell) had a nasty habit of not paying its soldiers, the only reason they didn't revolt ALL the time was because they usually (USUALLY) got a cut of the loot from defeated foes, sacking cities.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 17, 2013, 12:27:31 pm »

Also, Rome (especially the Byzantines after the western empire fell) had a nasty habit of not paying its soldiers, the only reason they didn't revolt ALL the time was because they usually (USUALLY) got a cut of the loot from defeated foes, sacking cities.

IIRC if one were involed in the sack of a major city one could take almost a year's pay in loot during it. War for fun and profit, indeed.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41