Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 65030 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #420 on: September 17, 2013, 12:32:03 pm »

Also, Rome (especially the Byzantines after the western empire fell) had a nasty habit of not paying its soldiers

By the time of the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the Romans has mostly settled around the system of paying soldiers with a grant of land.  The heavy infantry would generally be given land in interior country and rent it out.  The auxiliaries would be given frontier land and would farm it themselves when the empire wasn't at war.  The system was changed numerous times, but that was a crux of it.  There were also mercenaries, such as the Varangians, but they weren't the real strength of the empire.  Loot was more a republican era compensation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 18, 2013, 06:11:11 pm »

It was called the Pronoia system or theme system depending on the period. They were very similar, but still subtly different. It was like more centralized feudalism.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 21, 2013, 07:24:12 am »

So has anyone noticed the campaign AI improvements since the last patch? So much more aggressive now, it's awesome.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 21, 2013, 07:59:10 am »

I've only noticed that the game is now always claiming that 'graphics memory is running low' and threatening to lower the settings... to absolutely no effect, as far as I can see.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 21, 2013, 09:39:28 am »

I've only noticed that the game is now always claiming that 'graphics memory is running low' and threatening to lower the settings... to absolutely no effect, as far as I can see.

Did you check the 'Unlimited Video Memory' thing in Graphics? I haven't had that happen myself but... I tend to check it anyway. Can't hurt.
I think.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 21, 2013, 10:06:55 am »

I'm getting a bit annoyed at the AI's habit of declaring war at my satrapies to avoid having to go to war with my allies. Yes, very clever, CA, you taught your campaign AI how to abuse a hole in your diplomatic system (they do it to allies as well, but at least that makes a lot more sense). Especially grating when the satrapy or ally shares no border whatsoever with the warmongerer or even is on the whole other side of the map. Like Nabatea declaring war on the Khorasmii Steppe People in the northeast or Egypt and Pontus both attacking Arachosia (in the very southeast corner) in my latest Parthia game. They have absolutely nothing to gain from starting those wars except to get to me. And that would be cool when and if they attacked an ally or satrapy (though attacking client states should still call in the allies of the state-major) that is nearby in the region, like Armenia or one of my Arabian Peninsula satrapies - that's a pretty tried and true tactic, after all. But no, it seems to be completely random which related faction they attack.

Edit: looked up the actual names of the factions ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:24:37 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 21, 2013, 10:47:01 am »

What are the actual point of satrapies? It just seems so much cleaner to occupy. They only seem to want to be satrapies after I bring them down to 1 settlement and by then I would rather have the whole region for any edict bonuses.

I'm doing a Parthia vanilla campaign before I put in any (read many) mods in just to try and get a baseline on CA's game balance. It's a bit annoying though as my tactic is pretty much be a mongol horde with masses of horse archers and just wear down enemies. The logistics research for ammo and range building for ammo upgrade were early choices so I am at that annoying stage where gameplay is me just running around shooting people which can get a bit boring but I only have myself to blame.

The Siege AI is still a bit dissapointing, it's stupid seeing an auto-results being like 90% in favour of enemy when they attack a walled city and then playing out the battle they pretty much just die to the towers, conversely when attacking a walled city if you have the numbers it is much better to just auto-result it and only lose a few troops instead of potentially losing a few hundred trying to take the walls.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 21, 2013, 11:37:05 am »

Eh? When I play on legendary (aka hard) or very hard (aka normal) I tend to lose way more in autoresolve than in regular battles. I think they skew the autoresolve results according to difficulty level.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 21, 2013, 11:54:10 am »

What are the actual point of satrapies? It just seems so much cleaner to occupy. They only seem to want to be satrapies after I bring them down to 1 settlement and by then I would rather have the whole region for any edict bonuses.

I'm doing a Parthia vanilla campaign before I put in any (read many) mods in just to try and get a baseline on CA's game balance. It's a bit annoying though as my tactic is pretty much be a mongol horde with masses of horse archers and just wear down enemies. The logistics research for ammo and range building for ammo upgrade were early choices so I am at that annoying stage where gameplay is me just running around shooting people which can get a bit boring but I only have myself to blame.

The Siege AI is still a bit dissapointing, it's stupid seeing an auto-results being like 90% in favour of enemy when they attack a walled city and then playing out the battle they pretty much just die to the towers, conversely when attacking a walled city if you have the numbers it is much better to just auto-result it and only lose a few troops instead of potentially losing a few hundred trying to take the walls.

Much like vassaling in Shogun 2, the only reason to client someone is because you... can. Or maybe you like RPing a bit. From an entirely metagame POV, you don't gain quite as much as you would by just occupying it.

They DO pay you though, and it also means you have a buffer between your provinces and others (in theory). I typically just conquer people though. I might client some if they offer, and I don't care to take their land right now.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 21, 2013, 12:04:48 pm »

At least 2 satrapies are needed to make the Parthian bonus objectives (which means moar monies!) I also keep satrapies at the edges I'm not particularly interested in expanding into (like into the north steppe areas) as a buffer against the barbarians. That makes me able to focus my armies on different fronts and if they attack me the satrapy will usually have 2-3 armies in it that can help hold the would-be invaders of while I regroup my own forces.

Eh? When I play on legendary (aka hard) or very hard (aka normal) I tend to lose way more in autoresolve than in regular battles. I think they skew the autoresolve results according to difficulty level.

It's the same for me on normal, except with unprepared siege battles - without any siege equipment, that is. There the autosolve can give me a 95% chance to win with little casualties, while the towers and stuff will absolutely devastate my troops if I try to fight it out. At least as Parthia.
Love, scriver~

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »

Autoresolve isn't a perfect system, higher difficulties will make you generally suffer more causalities because the AI unit's get buffed, so pound for pound, their units are superior to your own.

In most situations, manually controlling a battle will be better. Some exceptions apply, as like scriver says, sometimes the AI can win battles with very little causalities somehow. Typically I'd only autoresolve landslide victories, or sometimes if I don't need the army to be used for a few turns anyway, so they can stand to suffer some damage and replenish.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2013, 12:45:47 pm »

The only time I've had troops (Mine or AI) die in significant numbers vs Towers is when they're assaulting one of the L4 forts with Scorpions in the towers. I found Boiling Oil was much better for causing horrific casualties. Just force them to fight while stood beneath it, and your Garrisons can fight off surprisingly large stacks.

The answer to sieges is Ballistae. Easy to get, useful in normal battles (Rocks > Cavalry, Elephants, Chariots. Explosives are just funny.), and they can usually take 2-3 sections of wall down. All of my Armies contain at least one set, usually two.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »

Parthian Admirals get Ballista Boats as one of their unit choices. I love raiding coastal towns with it and a few Scorpion Ships crewed with archers.
Love, scriver~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 21, 2013, 01:13:01 pm »

Parthian Admirals get Ballista Boats as one of their unit choices. I love raiding coastal towns with it and a few Scorpion Ships crewed with archers.
WHAAAAT!

And I thought the elephant generals were bad enough.

My current Iceni armies roam around with 4 sets of ballista. They're so freaking strong.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 21, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »

I am so jealous. Iceni admirals get Painted Ones or Slingers in a heavy raider. Painted ones are Heavy Melee Infantry, and are seriously unarmoured, similar to gaulish Naked Warriors. I don't think it's even possible for me to get artillery ships...
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 41