Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 65034 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #435 on: September 21, 2013, 01:20:19 pm »

Iceni navy is extremely crap. In my current campaign, I don't think I've even seen a single ship-borne unit that has flaming projectiles.

Thank god that on land, the Iceni are a hell of a lot stronger. Sword brothers and sword bands are devastating. Nowhere near as ridiculous as Legionaries but it's better than most of the other barbarians.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 21, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »

I find that satrapies and client states, like vassals in Shogun, help take some of the managerial load off by having the AI deal with development of those settlements. I don't know about anyone else but when I have a ton of settlements I always get confused as to what I'm building where, what my plans are for a specific province, what region can train what troops, etc.

Plus, I love having an AI sledgehammer that just rams into my enemies and pins their armies while I make precision strikes elsewhere.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 21, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »

Satrapies just slow me down. Nothing can stop the golden horde! With all the ammo upgrades I have enough arrows to kill stacks of 40 units, if they are 40 well shielded troops I might have to conserve arrows until precision shot is ready.

I tried using a client state to help kill an enemy but by the time they even arrived I had already taken down all the enemy forces. The tribute they give as well is miniscule, might as well just get economic buildings in the provinces or food to help grow the rest of my regions. I put a few libraries where I can as well to get the research improvements which I feel more then make up for having any advantage of a satrapy.

I normally work the regions to get the ones on borders to have bigger garrison buildings but because of Mogol style horde mechanics I really don't need large amounts of armies. 15 horse archers and 5 cataphracts are more then enough for any enemy force.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 21, 2013, 02:57:35 pm »

Yup. Iceni ranged ships are all slingers. As such, to sink something you either ram or board, and if some javelin unit with flaming shots decide they dislike you...

On land, I'm practically unstoppable. Chosen Sword Bands and Heroic Nobles are awesome, Ambushers are hilarious, and Chosen Spears will destroy any cavalry (And most infantry) that touch them. Added to that, Veteran Riders are adequate cavalry, Ballistae are awesome, and those Heroic Riders I get in my Bodyguard are pretty good. Slingers are adequate, but I don't think it's possible to get any flaming projectiles, even from my javelin infantry. So if I really want to set stuff on fire, I hire Mercenary archers.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 21, 2013, 03:03:35 pm »

Yeah, the Iceni heroic riders is the only general unit I keep as cavalry. They're so potent it's scary.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 21, 2013, 04:39:26 pm »

Did it seem like Legatus got severely nerfed? They have like a third of the stats of Italian Noble Cavalry. Or was it always that way? They just seem incredibly fragile - they have even less armor then the Generals & Bodyguard they replace!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 21, 2013, 04:41:41 pm »

Any thoughts on Chariots? I find they're great for running through light/spread out units, reasonable for hitting melee infantry from behind, and terrible otherwise. Not sure why I'd take them over Veteran/Heroic Riders, though.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 21, 2013, 04:44:09 pm »

Any thoughts on Chariots? I find they're great for running through light/spread out units, reasonable for hitting melee infantry from behind, and terrible otherwise. Not sure why I'd take them over Veteran/Heroic Riders, though.

Are Chariots not OP anymore? I remember them being stupidly powerful in Rome 1, capable of taking on 100's of units by themselves. I think a Chariot general solo attacked a settlement once, and wiped out half the garrison on his own. The balance of power, with just him, made it like 95% in his favor. It was stupid.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 21, 2013, 05:06:44 pm »

If they slow down in an infantry unit, they die. They slow down whenever they hit someone. As such, going through skirmishers means little-no speed lost, lots of skirmisher corpses flying around, etc, etc, while running into a melee infantry unit which has had time to brace will result in fewer casualties, along with your chariots being stopped, surrounded and poked until they break.

I've had units of chariots get 450 kills in a battle, where they just got ordered to move from one end of the enemy slinger line to the other. And then I've had units of chariots charge into the back of a hoplite formation, get bogged down and killed. All in the name of science, of course.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 21, 2013, 05:27:30 pm »

Ugh in Rome 1 they were annoying in settlements, they could just get stuck in buildings and just die, I lost an Egyptian General to him crashing into a house apparently.

Elephants in Rome 1 seem to be much stronger then they are in Rome 2 though, could just tear through formations with them before, now they seem to die a lot more easily. On the other hand Cavalry don't seem to die when doing charges which was always a possiblity in Rome 1.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 21, 2013, 05:33:23 pm »

So has anyone found a reliable way to get this to run fullscreen windowed? My usual programs for things like World of Tanks result in either the game being stretched off screen, of the screen being normal, but the cursor being off center from the actual clicking mechanism.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 21, 2013, 06:50:57 pm »

True that if you can maintain speed with your cavalry you will not loose to any non-pike infantry. There is that one small anoying thing i call "wait for me, I need to play my animation", which is easily noticable if you are running down retreating enemies.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 21, 2013, 10:35:20 pm »

The latest beta patch addresses that.

They've been pretty good on their promise to patch things frequently. We're at a patch a week so far and many things have changed for the better.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 22, 2013, 12:57:07 am »

The latest beta patch addresses that.

They've been pretty good on their promise to patch things frequently. We're at a patch a week so far and many things have changed for the better.

Just don't go on Total War Center. They pretty much think Rome 2 is the biggest flop in the history of games ever.
Even worse then Aliens: Colonial Marines!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 22, 2013, 02:02:22 am »

Same with r/totalwar and most other forums. Every game's forum is just people whining anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41