Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 65028 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #390 on: September 08, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »

I don't think civil war happens from too low family power.

I got a civil war even though I was king of the goddamn universe.

Well, from what I understand, Rome and Carthage are different, in that if they get too HIGH they ALSO start a civil war.

I believe that will be because they're Republics as opposed to a government with a single leader like barbarians or whathaveyou.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 09, 2013, 01:59:33 am »

oh btw I can confirm that the number of the same barracks in each province doesn't influence how many unit you can recruit, only the type.

I wonder if there is a way to recruit more than three unit in the same province per turn.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 09, 2013, 02:38:11 am »

One of the temples gives +1 recruitment slot.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 10, 2013, 01:55:10 am »

Well, dunno if anyone likes this guy or not. And I haven't started the video (it is almost midnight here). But my friend said it didn't look good for the game. Though, don't know what that means as... well...I haven't watched that video. But, I'd probably trust more into a Youtube reviewer than someone who works in a big company like PCgamer or gamespot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 10, 2013, 06:23:27 am »

Well, dunno if anyone likes this guy or not. And I haven't started the video (it is almost midnight here). But my friend said it didn't look good for the game. Though, don't know what that means as... well...I haven't watched that video. But, I'd probably trust more into a Youtube reviewer than someone who works in a big company like PCgamer or gamespot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8

AngryJoe and TotalBiscuit are two of the most respective reviewers on my book. Thank God I didn't take the bait and buy this game. Sticking to Shogun 2.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 10, 2013, 06:28:46 am »

I'll just post a list of my issues:
1) Optimization - this game can, from time to time, lag like hell and noone knows why. Even in small battles. While other time it can run smoothly in max sized battles.
2) Unbalanced - it's all over the place. Pikes kills everything. Cavalry drop like flies charging on light spearman from back, even if spearman is engaged in fight. Elephants can't do shit. Fully upgraded and trained elite roman legionaries looses to out-of-box barbarians elite.
3) Armor is completly meaningless, thus making every single defensive formation useless (pikes excluded). Low armor values negates all damage they can, but every thing got astronomical armor penetration, which is damage dealt regardless. Testudo is formation against non-javelin missile infantry? Wrong. You will loose 50% more men to both slingers and archers. Shieldwall somewhat works against melee with very high damage (differnece is extremly low). Just don't use formations, they only got drawbacks.
4) Transports - it's enough to say that every army walking on sea is magically transformed into transports. But there is more - transport ships are even better than port militia and low tier navy. Against ai you might be successfull without navy entire game (army limits somewhat tries to enforce using navies).
5) Strategic AI is duuuumb - advanced strategy someone described that enemy is leaving settlement to attack their back provinces is not a strategy. AI simply doesn't know meaning of a word "defence". Put 4 unit army at their gates and they will either attack you or go far away with their 20 unit one, leaving their city free to take (elite units makes short work of militia).
6) If AI has access to sea, they will have all their armies stationed in transports. If your next conquer have access to sea and is currently at peace, make one port province on other part of the world be taken by rebels, every single one of enemy armies will go there to blockade port. Since you can only take a city from sea by assault, they will sit there to the end of days (unless there is enemy province closer to home or some neighbour actually go there by land). Using some one region island for that you can have all armies of AIs (at peace and with sea access) in single place.
I learned that when i tried to take rebelled sicily setlement from Cartagine. Even Syracuse send their army by sea. Had to declare war on cartagine anyway - libya was the first to blockade and you can't take city someone is sieging/blockading.

edit: oh and remember to buy a lot of cavalry, enemy armies got >50% missile units.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:32:48 am by lastverb »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2013, 07:12:06 am »

I, for one, am really enjoying this game. The key is not to get yourself massively hyped up before release :P
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 10, 2013, 07:27:28 am »

I read a bunch of negative reviews before starting and was pleasantly surprised at the actual game. It's not a bad game by any means.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2013, 08:34:18 am »

It's quite a lot of fun. Got a few niggles with it myself, too, though. I'll only mention ones I haven't spotted anyone else saying, though
1. Siege weaponry. Why bother? A unit of Ballistae can easily take down enough of the wall to render a battering ram, siege tower or set of ladders a waste of time and men.
2. Allied AI doesn't seem to understand why stationing its' dignitaries in territories controlled solely by me pisses me off and gets them assassinated.
3. I'm only playing on Normal (I thought the AI'd be normal. Not imbecilic), but the AI's tactic in defending minor settlements seems to be to stand in plain view and watch the Ballistae/Onagers I now have in every army bombard them. Then stand still and watch my slingers kill off the rest of them. Might be changed in higher difficulties, I'm too lazy to switch difficulties atm.
4. Siege AI. They'll charge straight ahead into my ambushes, through the gates with the boiling oil, etc etc. I've won far too many defensive battles due to the AI being too stupid to scout out city squares before sending all their melee infantry in there. Possibly invalidated by me playing on normal, though.
5. I really wish my units would stick to their orders. I don't damn well care if you clipped a single spearman from that unit as you ran past, Cavalry, stopping to fight them all is not what you were told to do, and it'll just waste your lives.
6. Sea battles. I see all these awesome Fire Pot Dieres, Tower Hemiolias, Ballistae Triremes, and my best boat is... a large raider with a bunch of painted nutjobs on it. Greaaat. I want to hurl pots of explosive at people, I mean there's even briton artillery boats in the encyclopaedia. But upon investigation, said encyclopaedia doesn't actually say anything about how I can get a boat that hurls rocks at other boats. Bluh.

3 and 4 are possibly just because I'm playing at too low a difficulty, I suppose.
Even with all that, though, I'm still enjoying it. Currently gets a 6.5/10 from me, and I'm hoping it'll get better as it's patched.

Oh, and the landship bug was hilarious. Only got it once, but having my entire garrison butchered was a small price to pay to see that.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:36 am »

This game still has the stupid sloppy engine and ai from shogun 1

15 years later if you move a group formation the cavalry arrives with a huge lead.

Wtf?

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 10, 2013, 11:54:14 pm »

I have played Pontus on hard, Germania on very hard, and Rome on legendary. Slingers, and ranged in general, make no sense to me but as LastVerb has mentioned it seems my issues were greater because I was using formations which seem to work against you. I would have a unit of upgraded Hastatii in Tustedo formation get utterly destroyed by injured levy slingers. Odd since Tustedo should make them all but impervious to missile fire and did in Rome 1. It also explains why I lost generals in hoplite formations so easily. I also wanted to bring up war dogs since I am finally play Rome, on legendary, and they are like tactical nukes! A few war dogs sent at a 40 stack army decimate 1/3 with no effort or retaliation it is insane. I have even sent a group of three into a defended fort against a full garrison and watched them tear apart everyone standing near the gate I destroyed.

Still... I am loving this game and can't wait to see it after some patches, DLCs, and of course mods.
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:02 am »

playing the bello mundi mod for medieval II, not looking back until next couple of expansion fix the battles

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 11, 2013, 12:00:58 pm »

playing the bello mundi mod for medieval II, not looking back until next couple of expansion fix the battles

Does that need kingdoms?, i have vanilla med 2 and can't find a copy of kingdoms.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 12, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »

I don't get the trouble everyone is having with ranged attackers.
While I was using legionaries and legionary cohort, slingers did actively nothing to me. I waited about a minute under constant missile fire and lost one.
(That being said, I never used testudo anyway. They take less arrows just from passively holding up their shields)

Also I'm looking to do a legendary co-op with someone, if anybody is up for it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:31:51 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 12, 2013, 09:30:34 pm »

I don't get it either.

Especially slingers, they do almost no damage. I've tested custom games with useless infantry like Egyptian Infantry and slingers could barely do anything against them.

Certain ranged units like higher tier javelins and especially peltasts have insane damage though and those hurt like hell. But slingers? No way.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 41