Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41

Author Topic: Total War: Rome 2 still totally has a trailer now  (Read 64962 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Rome 2 totally has a trailer now
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2013, 09:16:32 am »

was a fan of vanilla war dogs.  A few of them launched into a weak flank and theyd win the fight.  I also noticed it was the human deaths that reduced the squad.  Dead dogs respawned so you could pull the humans back and the dogs kept going

I've noticed that as well. No clue how effective an all-dog army would be, but at the very least it'd be an cheap and silly way to wear down enemy armies. Assuming that you could release the hounds from any distance, of course. I never used them myself...

Hilariously effective.  Dogs do a ton of morale damage, so against an inexperienced army it turns into a rout.  OH GOD THE DOGS
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2013, 01:10:50 am »

As for berserkers, yeah, but the guys who spin around and send urban cohorts flying are about as historical as the incendiary pigs. They are a lot more fun than incendiary pigs though!

Uh... Don't wanna be 'that' guy, but incendiary pigs were a real thing.
Yeah, the romans discovered that the sound of pigs squealing seriously terrified elephants, so in order to make the pigs squeal near the elephants, they came up with the brilliant plan of covering them in tar and lighting them on fire. This also had the added benefit of them being on fire.

... PETA wasn't created until much, much later.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2013, 01:22:22 am »

At least the survivors of the engagement got to eat pork and perhaps bacon.

Has anyone pre ordered this btw?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:13 am »

Pigs were used as an elephant countermeasure, yes, but they generally weren't set aflame. Just boring old pink swines.
Love, scriver~

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2013, 08:36:17 am »

I can imagine a grizzled old veteran sitting atop his horse stoically as a herd of mounted elephants charge his unit, looking at his second and hoarsely commanding

"Light the pigs Decanus"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2013, 11:09:43 am »

Arcani! And I found a use for them, or at least the AI found a use for them on me when I was playing Parthia or the Seleucids or somebody: turns out they murder horse archers if you don't watch out.

Not that it really ever comes up, playing Rome.

Other than that, they're... basically gladiators I suppose.

As for berserkers, yeah, but the guys who spin around and send urban cohorts flying are about as historical as the incendiary pigs. They are a lot more fun than incendiary pigs though!

I really liked using the Arcani. Made great flankers, and were quite powerful when used properly. Also horribly inaccurate, historically, but...still fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2013, 11:18:54 am »

I liked to make stacks of gladiators for the hell of it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1/10th the numbers? Sure, I'll attack that, says the AI.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2013, 03:16:21 pm »

In one of my playthroughs as a Roman faction (Brutii, maybe?) I'd maintain a half stack of gladiators and send them up north to chew up the armies Britannia or Gaul would send at me, sort of a "death in exile"/ Night's Watch kind of thing.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2013, 03:37:45 pm »

In one of my playthroughs as a Roman faction (Brutii, maybe?) I'd maintain a half stack of gladiators and send them up north to chew up the armies Britannia or Gaul would send at me, sort of a "death in exile"/ Night's Watch kind of thing.

You must have been Julii. Gauls/Bretons were thier problem. Brutii went after the Greeks, while the Scipii went after North Africa and the rest of the Mediteranian.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure not – as Julii you tend to outright conquer the barbarians (well, I'm doing a Julii playthrough now that's pretty strange – I've got half of Greece and Halicarnassus and nothing north of Lemonum and I've been almost entirely following senate's orders) – in the playthrough I'm recalling I think I had been given the odd task of conquering something north of the Alps so I did, and being Brutii or Scipii I had no further interest in those poor barbarian provinces so I just had troops up there defending the one city.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »

You must have been Julii. Gauls/Bretons were thier problem. Brutii went after the Greeks, while the Scipii went after North Africa and the rest of the Mediteranian.

Pah, you have to conquer everyone! Playing as Scipii was easiest for me as I managed to get Massila and Appolonia fairly quickly to bottle in my Roman counterparts, in the end the Brutii had to go north to fight the Dacians and the Julii were stuck spending most of the time trying to siege Patavium, by the time the Civil War started the Julii only had like 3 extra territories but the Brutii were more successful and had like 7 or 8.

Looking forward to the new total war game, although some of the gameplay videos seem a bit arcade like

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2013, 04:00:13 pm »

All this talk is making me want to play RTW again.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2013, 04:01:13 pm »

All this talk is making me want to play RTW again.

I know that feeling.

Parts of RTW I like over M2 or S2, but then others... not really.

Also Amazon Total War is fun. For me. I'm always annoyed they just won't make actual Amazon faction in Rome 2.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2013, 04:58:09 pm »

I'm always annoyed they just won't make actual Amazon faction in Rome 2. IN ANYTHING

FTFY. Mods of certain paradox games excluded; there's been absolutely zero effort at giving South American natives a fair shake. It's almost to the point where I think developers exclude it on purpose..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2013, 05:42:02 pm »

And as the Mayan god of the dead, I am sure you are completely unbiased in your wish to cause Total War and the slaughter of hundreds of thousands all over the continent :P
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41